Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The purpose of marketing is to sell your product. What good is marketing if you don't have any product to sell? Apple would love more iPhone 5s' to sell. They just couldn't make enough.

they made a good 6 million and sold them all. and are making more and will sell those too.

that's the power of the whole Apple Cult, folks don't get fed up and go buy something else like a Galaxy cause they can't get an iPhone on day one. Even if it takes a month they will get that phone. they will whine about the wait the whole time but they will get it. and then half of them will turn around and repeat the whole thing for a new iPad

----------

This is the same thing critics said last year, with the iPhone 5. Only to find out that Apple sold five million units, the most iPhones ever sold in a single day.

Let's see the numbers this year.

9 million, if which 6 plus were 5S models.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
My friend and I waited in line for more than 12 hours at the Lincoln Park Apple store in Chicago. I was originally #8 in line when the line first started. But by 8 AM when the doors opened 30 thugs had line cut in front of all of us their leader carrying a 3" stack of $100 bills. Despite huge complaints from every one in line Apple employees allow these guys to stay and purchase every Gold, Silver and unlocked version. The thugs were violent and threatened us - but Apple employees did nothing. The ring leader walked out with more than 50+ phones - we got video of him with the cash walking around to each apple employee paying for the line crashers phones in cash. When they were done he walked out with 4 huge bags loaded with new iPhone boxes. He owned 5 phone stores and put half them on craiglist and the other he shipped offshore. Thanks Apple for not defending the little guy - after 5 years of being a front place line holder I'll never wait in line for an apple product again.

Cool story.....Sound like a Mission i did on GTA 5 this past weekend...:)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've noticed a lot of comments saying that the fingerprint sensor is causing low yields, however it looks like a lot of the Apple stores have a good supply, just in the "space gray" color. Is it possible that the gold and silver colors were somehow more difficult to make, and therefore, there are so few? Honest question/thought.

or based on past trends they figured the space grey would be vastly more popular and didn't make as high a cut of the other two. only to have guessed wrong

----------

So let me get this right...

Apple/Foxcomm has been making new phones for months and the run out within a few minutes of launch? Really?

hardly months. Maybe 2 at the outside, 1 is more likely. Apple has been very open that they don't stockpile for weeks and weeks due to security concerns.

----------

Spin cycle away!...

An Apple store with 10 gold iPhone units, makes me glad Apple isn't my grocer. I'd hate to wait til Oct to buy my loaf of bread.

Another rumor site has a story about Tim Cook visiting an Apple store in CA on iPhone 5s launch to which someone replied "Tim was probably looking for a gold iPhone." It's funny because it's true!

unlikely to be true. If Tim wants a phone it gets brought to his office. He doesn't have to wait in line for it. Heck he probably gets the first one hot off the line in whatever model he wants just for being CEO

thill

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
they made a good 6 million and sold them all. and are making more and will sell those too.

that's the power of the whole Apple Cult, folks don't get fed up and go buy something else like a Galaxy cause they can't get an iPhone on day one. Even if it takes a month they will get that phone. they will whine about the wait the whole time but they will get it. and then half of them will turn around and repeat the whole thing for a new iPad

----------

9 million, if which 6 plus were 5S models.

Not really a cult. I guess most Apple users have been happy with the product and would rather wait a few days or even a few weeks for something that just works. It amazes me how impatient and entitled so many people feel when it comes to things like phones, cars, houses, etc.

BUT I WANT IT NOW!!!

url-14.jpeg

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Ahhhh Another iPhone release apple happy to make a boatload of money and half the customers happy with the release the other half bitter and pissed at ridiculous and mostly unknown shipping dates. Seems right.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure what difference Puerto Rico will make, but China is huge. The 5C and 5S might not be cheap enough to reach a large portion of China's population, but given its size a few percents means millions of sales.

That's why they want to sell in China but that's not why they launched same day in China.

Resellers. They had a market because the launch was always delayed. Now with first day availability that market is cut down. Happened with the iPad when it started having first day launch in China. Lines of folks returning units cause they couldn't send them.

----------

The thugs were violent and threatened us -

And you didn't call the cops. Someone threatens you that is what you do. That's what you should do. Call them for being a nuisance, making threatens etc. Let the cops come and haul them off.

not expect staff that aren't trained in security and are likely told not to confront that type of person because they would just start yelling, possibly attack the staff etc, to do anything.

And you have video proof and despite tones of being totally disgusted at the staff of the store you haven't posted it anywhere.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
The reports of Apple's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Funny how so many haters say no one will buy the new iPhone that year or they didnt change enough. Yet every year, it breaks the sales record of the previous iPhone release. Any business would be ecstatic to sell 9 million units of ANY product.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
That's why they want to sell in China but that's not why they launched same day in China.

Resellers. They had a market because the launch was always delayed. Now with first day availability that market is cut down. Happened with the iPad when it started having first day launch in China. Lines of folks returning units cause they couldn't send them.

Not sure why you felt the need to reply to me and explain this bit about China.

I was simply replying to someone who was expecting less than 5 million iPhones to be sold this week-end and I was pointing out that the fact that they added China (whatever the reason) as a launch country would by itself make it very improbable that they'd sell less than last year.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
What was your's prior to data launch?
Or do you like combing the threads calling people out? Just wondering if you would include all of the analysts in your dig as well- seems they were all off.

China however was included, do you by chance have the data on how they fared?

If the analysts were correct, China wasn't a big factor because the 5C was not the inexpensive device that it was supposed to be, causing Apple to miss out dearly on that market.

Analysts......

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
You did exactly what you were accusing Apple of doing.
No, I actually explained why marketing does what it does, if you did read my post (which you clearly didn´t). It´s their job. Stop posting irrelevant things and stop quoting me out of context.

Actually, you are the one that wants to start something that didn´t even happen. Look into the mirror please.

ibcdrew

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
west-central Wisconsin
Late reply...

I'm simply amazed how much demand there is for the gold one. It's not my taste and so I would have gone for the Space Grey if white had sold out. When I first heard gold was an option I thought it would be an embarrassment and not sell at all. Shows how much I know about the market :eek:

Would you have gone caseless if you had been able to get the gold one?

I almost certainly would have gone caseless if I had been able to get my hands on a gold one. Oh well - I use mine so heavily, I have to keep my Mophie Helium on it constantly anyways or I'd have to be tethered to a wall charger for 2 hours a day. I have a ZAGG HD screen protector on the front of it. Neither the case or the screen protector seems to mess up the Touch ID sensor, so that's good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.