Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Never mind,
it just works :)
some MKV seems a bit hard for it

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Use beamer almost everyday to watch videos since I cut cable. Works with everything I've thrown at it.

What Mac are you using?

I've sold my MBA. Does anybody know of Beamer-like apps that run on Windows 8 in conjunction with an Apple TV? I'd be curious to try out a cheap Windows 8 laptop with a Beamer-like application. Or maybe just concede and use an HDMI cable.

chevy57

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
I got new beamer app today. it s better quality than Apple AirPlay mirroring. but subtitle texts are too small and tiny fonts. Beamer support says "Can I increase the size of the subtitle text? Unfortunately, Apple TV currently does not offer a way to change the font size of the subtitles. If you like, you can ask Apple to add this feature by filling in their Apple TV feedback form."

I had heard about update app for custom subtitles soon. There are preset choices, but you can also create a new subtitle style from scratch. Available customization features include your choice of typeface (including the new newspaper style Lapin font), font size, color, opacity, text edge and video override styles and more.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/17/apple-tv-conference-room-itunes-radio-custom-subtitles/

I hope Beamer supports custom subtitles.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I got new beamer app today. it s better quality than Apple AirPlay mirroring. but subtitle texts are too small and tiny fonts. Beamer support says "Can I increase the size of the subtitle text? Unfortunately, Apple TV currently does not offer a way to change the font size of the subtitles. If you like, you can ask Apple to add this feature by filling in their Apple TV feedback form."

I had heard about update app for custom subtitles soon. There are preset choices, but you can also create a new subtitle style from scratch. Available customization features include your choice of typeface (including the new newspaper style Lapin font), font size, color, opacity, text edge and video override styles and more.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/17/apple-tv-conference-room-itunes-radio-custom-subtitles/

To be accurate, Beamer only "AirPlays" movies, right? Not what ever is on your desktop (mirroring)?

chevy57

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
To be accurate, Beamer only "AirPlays" movies, right? Not what ever is on your desktop (mirroring)?

I have torrent hollywood movies in my MacBook Pro to airplay to HDTV via Apple TV in using Beamer. I like VLC but movie streaming is some lag.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
To be accurate, Beamer only "AirPlays" movies, right?
Correct, but it's merit is the ability to transcode the stream on the fly, if needed. E.g I can throw to it a MPEG-2 transport stream or a VC-1 in WMV and it will AirPlay it happily. Also, it will take external subtitles from file.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Well, after so much adulation about Beamer, I thought I would give it another go. They have added surround sound since I last tried it and that is a nice addition. Unfortunately, it still buffers about every 20-30sec whether the source is dvd or BR. When it does play, the video seems smooth and the audio is fine.

Since it is doing on-the-fly transcoding, which is very CPU intensive, the problem probably lies with my duocore MBP not having enough transcoding capacity to keep up with the movie stream. I know the home network is fine as I never have a problem with iTunes movie buffering. AirParrot had the same, actually worse, problem in my hands. Those with multi-core Mac's seem to have no problem with AirParrot. Probably the same situation with Beamer.

chevy57

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009

I finally update Apple TV 6.0 last Friday then update Beamer for compatible Apple TV 6.0. Working subtitle with one movie steaming at any font, size, style, etc. but other movies won't work with subtitles.:( I sent feedback to Beamer. I hope they fix it. I will wait for reply from Beamer.

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
I'm on the fence about buying this Beamer app it seems to have better sound quality than airplay off my 2011 MacBook Pro but the image quality seems to be not so great.

I use the 15 minute trial version to throw as many videos as possible and do it to see what it was like.

I do like the fact that allows 5.1 surround to go through my receiver something that airplay i wish had. The surround sound functionality is the only reason I'm really even contemplating it.

Has anyone else noticed poor image quality compared airplay??

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I do like the fact that allows 5.1 surround to go through my receiver something that airplay i wish had.
In which usage scenario don't you get 5.1 sound from AirPlay? Works for me every time, except for screen mirroring, of course.
PS OS X ML is even that smart, that if you play a movie in iTunes full screen and had mirroring turned on, it seems to revert back to simple movie streaming, instead of on-the-fly transcoding, mirroring would call for.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Just gave it a try. 720p mkv video. The quality is not great. It uses the computer to convert and stream at the same time.

Quality is fine (even beter than iTunes as is has DTS). Your issue is either a bad file or an old computer. Beamer does a great job up to 5 to 6 GB. Bigger files tend to stutter,

----------

I downloaded the "trial" version and it works amazingly well. Has anyone tried this out yet? If so - opinions?

http://beamer-app.com/

Used to convert MKV to iTunes format which took hours just to find out the movie was rubbish. With Beamer just drag and drop and watch the movie. Next to this with Beamer I can enjoy DTS which is not supported by iTunes. You can also drag and drop SRT files (sub title files) in Beamer easily.
Only real problem I have is with large MKVs (more than 6GB) they tend to stutter (interruption in the play-back.
Hope that with the new WI standard the big-file problem with Beamer disappears
Thumbs up for Beamer

----------

the app looks promising, but there are no updates to functionality for long time (a.k.a subtitles not working)

Subtitles work fine over here, you are probably doing something wrong.

----------

This concept is great, please let me know if someone that has purchased this has gotten subtitles to work because most mkv files I have are foreign films for which I really need to have them working and timed right, etc.

No problems with subtitles, works fine. Sometimes movies are 'cut', so you are missing some time at the start, this makes that the SRT file is out of syn. This is not a Beamer problem, but the problem of a 'bad copy' of the movie. Most movies work fine with SRT subtitles.

----------

I think I'll stick with VLC and airplay. I don't see an advantage to this.

Just compare the difference in picture quality and sound and your sold.

----------

FYI, for this weekend only, Beamer is on sale for just under $10.

From their twitter page:
"To celebrate the launch of Beamer 1.6, we’re giving a $5.1 “surround sound” discount. Only this weekend!"

Beamer app link

Beamer store link

I'm thinking I'm going to give this a go. I have an older MBP and the price is right.

Beamer is on version 1.7.1

----------

I'm on the fence about buying this Beamer app it seems to have better sound quality than airplay off my 2011 MacBook Pro but the image quality seems to be not so great.

I use the 15 minute trial version to throw as many videos as possible and do it to see what it was like.

I do like the fact that allows 5.1 surround to go through my receiver something that airplay i wish had. The surround sound functionality is the only reason I'm really even contemplating it.

Has anyone else noticed poor image quality compared airplay??

The image is as good as the file you are playing, I get 1080p on my ATV3; it is far better than normal airplay which is about 480p.

----------

In which usage scenario don't you get 5.1 sound from AirPlay? Works for me every time, except for screen mirroring, of course.
PS OS X ML is even that smart, that if you play a movie in iTunes full screen and had mirroring turned on, it seems to revert back to simple movie streaming, instead of on-the-fly transcoding, mirroring would call for.

But you don't get DTS, with Beamer you do.

----------

What Mac are you using?

I've sold my MBA. Does anybody know of Beamer-like apps that run on Windows 8 in conjunction with an Apple TV? I'd be curious to try out a cheap Windows 8 laptop with a Beamer-like application. Or maybe just concede and use an HDMI cable.

OSX Only

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida

I guess I should've elaborated I'm interested in getting 5.1 mirroring I don't want to put everything into iTunes every time it's just simpler just a click on the file and airplay with mirroring. Since I have a large ripped DVD collection on my server.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
But you don't get DTS, with Beamer you do.
Are you sure, DTS does not get transcoded to DD5.1? I'm asking because I don't get how AirPlay receiver side in AppleTV could possibly handle DTS in current state of things?
EDIT: Beamer FB page reveals the truth:
Facebook/Beamer.for.Mac said:
February 23
New: Surround Sound Support!

• Supports all common formats (e.g. Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Digital HD, DTS and DTS-HD).
• Depending on your receiver hardware, you might need to set the option ‘Dolby Digital’ to ‘On’ (in ‘Settings’ > ‘Audio & Video’).
Please note that Beamer converts all surround sound audio to Dolby Digital 5.1.
So, in essence, you don't get DTS, you can just spare the preflight conversion of audio and Beamer will do it on-the-fly. But you won't get DTS sound quality. Now, it remains to be seen, to what bitrate do they transcode. In HB I can at least convert DTS to DD5.1 640kbps.

EDIT 2: just tested, it converts to DD5.1, 448kbps@48kHz (or possibly @source sample rate)

Last edited:

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
The image is as good as the file you are playing, I get 1080p on my ATV3; it is far better than normal airplay which is about 480p.

----------

I play the same file on Beamer and the then on Airplay Mirroring using Movist as my Media player, for comparison sake, playing one and then trying the other way. I have an ATV3 . With Beamer the picture quality appears granier. I've tried a dozen or so files, in various formats. MP4, AVI, MKV. Results are the same each time. The sound is vastly superior with Beamer though. Loving that 5.1 throught my Harmon Kardon/Klipsch Setup. Overall Beamer is worth the money I spent.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Are you sure, DTS does not get transcoded to DD5.1? I'm asking because I don't get how AirPlay receiver side in AppleTV could possibly handle DTS in current state of things?
EDIT: Beamer FB page reveals the truth:

So, in essence, you don't get DTS, you can just spare the preflight conversion of audio and Beamer will do it on-the-fly. But you won't get DTS sound quality. Now, it remains to be seen, to what bitrate do they transcode. In HB I can at least convert DTS to DD5.1 640kbps.

EDIT 2: just tested, it converts to DD5.1, 448kbps@48kHz (or possibly @source sample rate)

So, I got exited for nothing.....Hmmmm...that sucks. thanks for the update.

eflude

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
I use it constantly and it's perfect. I ran a cat 5e cable between my Mac and Apple TV. Don't like wireless so have not tried it. But quality is AMAZING! Only con is it doesn't do VOB files . But no matter I bought it even though I could have got it for free. We HAVE to support apps like this because, frankly, with out financial support these apps could not exist!

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
I haven't tired putting in the subtitles SRT file for movies yet. How do you play subtitles if needed? Thanks

If the .srt file is in the same folder with the movie (and O think with the same name) it gets picked up automatically if you have such option selected on preferences.

If the .srt file is somewhere else, you just go to menu Controls > Subtitles, and load the file.

I use it constantly and it's perfect. I ran a cat 5e cable between my Mac and Apple TV. Don't like wireless so have not tried it. But quality is AMAZING! Only con is it doesn't do VOB files . But no matter I bought it even though I could have got it for free. We HAVE to support apps like this because, frankly, with out financial support these apps could not exist!

I agree.... this app is AMAZING. Basically the only reason I recommend an Apple TV instead of other boxes. Without it, my apple TV would be almost useless, since I've ripped all my tv series and movies into hard drives. It lets me bypass the nightmare that is managing iTunes, and create playlists with a simple drag and drop. It works for almost any file format, plays surround sound, and the support team is incredibly helpful.

I couldn't recommend it enough. Seriously.

cheers!

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
----------

I play the same file on Beamer and the then on Airplay Mirroring using Movist as my Media player, for comparison sake, playing one and then trying the other way. I have an ATV3 . With Beamer the picture quality appears granier. I've tried a dozen or so files, in various formats. MP4, AVI, MKV. Results are the same each time. The sound is vastly superior with Beamer though. Loving that 5.1 throught my Harmon Kardon/Klipsch Setup. Overall Beamer is worth the money I spent.

Update on the grainy picture quality, I've used handbrake to re-rip much of my library to a better quality of .mp4 file and it has have had no problem with the quality.

Beamer has been the best app I have ever installed.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Beamer 2.0

Beamer FINALLY has been updated to included playlist creation, so no need to drag and drop one video at a time. You have to pay $6 for the upgrade if you're a current license holder but to me it's worth it as it was a must-needed feature.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
the only thing that works smoothly for me is .mp4s in itunes beamer is no better than screen mirroring which is watchable but def not as smooth, hopefully the peer to peer update in the new osx fixes this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.