Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Gulf of Mexico
Guys,
I am having an issue that I can't seem to put my finger on.

I work in an area that requires me to stay on site for 2 weeks at a time.
We only have HughesNet internet with 450 Mbytes a day download allowance.
Everything has been fine for several years until I purchased my MBA last month. It seems that we exceed the allowance every night. The only thing that has changed in the past year is the MBA. I have turned off all automatic updates, ( I Think) however I am new to Mac & OSX. This only happens at night, and like I said. The only new item is the MBA so I'm wondering if I have maybe looked over something that I should turn off, could it be something updating that I don't know about. iCloud is off and I'm signed out, automatic updates are turned off. It's now someone getting into our wifi as the closest neighbor is approx 3 miles away. No one can even get close to my location unless it's by helicopter.....

Could it be that I looked over something on the MBA? Is there anything else I need to turn off?

Thanks guys,
Kyp

damidget

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I do agree, however I shouldn't have to.....
Thanks,
Kyp

If you want to retain the battery life then turn it off.
If you don't want to then go into System Preferences>Energy Saver>Battery>Uncheck Enable Power Nap then do the same with power adapter. :D

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
This happens every night? Do you have lots of cloud data to sync?

You can configure laptop to NOT PowerNap if you are on battery, and every night before you turn in, yank the cord like I do.

Or configure your hardware firewall, if you have one, to block talking to Apple from say midnight to 7 a.m.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.