Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomiv

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
El Paso TX
I'm not saying Mac will outperform windows on blizzard games but its not a whiteout either. I am running a 5 year old machine with Xeon processors not optimized for gaming and my ram is only 4 gigs and I'm on average getting 50 fps on high settings in WOW so clearly something is not going right. Have you tried smc fan control? Is your hard drive full? Are you expecting to run this game on ultra settings with shadows ssao and water effects on high at 2600x1600 resolution? Perhaps it really is something with Blizzard or the Osx video drivers but I suspect a lot of this is operator error...

Nope. As it is I'm against using it at that max resolution. Hell.. Everything is too tiny. I lower the resolution to make life easier for me. HD is nowhere near full and I'm getting SMC fan control right now. I'll post up if I see a difference later on today.

syrinxx

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011

hey guys try to keep this thread alive.

anyone heard the rumors about 10.8.3 and much better support and drivers for amd cards?

any tests with games about an fps increase under 10.8.3?

would be nice if apple worked on that issue.

fingers crossed
greetz

syrinxx

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
hey guys,

installed 10.8.2 again cause of troubles with my machine.
d3 and sc2 didn´t improve regarding fps and stuttering.

would be really nice to hear good news about 10.8.3 and testing these games ...

thx

adversus

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
Portland, OR
The zones in MOP are more resource intensive it seems. I run on max settings, 1920x1080, and get between 75 and 90 fps in most areas. Dungeons are the best, I get upwards of 160 fps reported.

MOP outdoor zones are the worst, down to 40-ish.

Mac Pro 5,1; Radeon 5870; 2.8GHz Quad, 32GB RAM, game and OS running off a Samsung SSD.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I don't know if this will help anyone with these particular games, but I was getting weird stutters in Call of Duty 2 and 4 on my Mac Mini and it seemed like there was a correlation to hard drive activity (loading something new while playing would be when it would suddenly stutter for a moment). I have a RAID0 setup (which you would think would be better since it's faster) and by testing with a regular drive, I found the problem was worse with the RAID drive and that confirmed the hard drive (or driver) had something to do with the stuttering (not the GPU, which when it was not stuttering was completely smooth).

I found a suggestion on a Diablo 3 forum to get rid of hard drive related stutters (supposedly Diablo 3 is just awful in this regard, especially in multi-player; I don't know since I don't have the game). But I took their suggestion and tried with Call of Duty 2 and 4 and they are now 100% stutter free (just like users reported with Diablo3).

The key is to get a good sized USB thumb drive (they were using USB2 models, which makes even less sense when you consider the speed constraint, but apparently the stutter is not due to absolute read speed) and then copy the game folder over to that drive and run it off the thumb drive instead of your hard drive. They claimed Diablo3 was then magically stutter free. Many called BS on it, but others confirmed it.

I was in need of another thumb drive anyway, so I figured I'd try it out with Call of Duty 2 & 4 and so I bought a SanDisk 32GB USB3 thumb drive (much faster than a USB2 one, although still slower than my RAID0 setup; although random access may be better) and loaded them onto it. They are both now 100% stutter free. No more audio cutouts or frame pauses. It's SO much better. Since the saved games are still in the home directory somewhere, I don't even have to worry about copying back any data when I'm done. I can just erase the thumb drive folders and put something else on there and copy them back again if I want to play them again at some time in the future.

This may or may not solve your problems with various Blizzard games. It depends on what is causing it, but seeing as this supposedly fixed Diablo 3 for a bunch of folks and it certainly fixed Call of Duty here, it may be worth a try, particularly if you already have a thumb drive lying around.

syrinxx

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
diablo still a joke

hi,

just wanted to let you know diablo 3 is still not really fun under osx on my machine. tested everything ... updated to the lastest versions of osx and d3 -stittering and rubber banding still exist.

my specs:
imac mid 2011
3,4 i7
12gb ram
ati 6970m 2gb
1tb hdd
osx 10.8.5 clean install
d3 1.0.8
average ping of 40-70

playing it in native res.
everything maxed out expect shadows (on lowest) and anti aliasing off

played around with the settings (v-sync - low textures and lowering the resolution) the stuttering stays the same.

does someone use 10.9 ? do you see improvements or do we have to wait until blizz reacts on the open GL changes in mavericks ???

do not talk about SC2 ... this is a joke !!!

btw. : my machine was checked at a service provider - no hardware failure !!!

greets
syr

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Rubber banding is a common issue in D3, I believe. And it is cross-platform since I've seen lots of complaints from Windows users too. Blizzard released a patch about it but I'm not sure it eliminated or just limited the problem.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
hi,

just wanted to let you know diablo 3 is still not really fun under osx on my machine. tested everything ... updated to the lastest versions of osx and d3 -stittering and rubber banding still exist.

my specs:
imac mid 2011
3,4 i7
12gb ram
ati 6970m 2gb
1tb hdd
osx 10.8.5 clean install
d3 1.0.8
average ping of 40-70

playing it in native res.
everything maxed out expect shadows (on lowest) and anti aliasing off

played around with the settings (v-sync - low textures and lowering the resolution) the stuttering stays the same.

does someone use 10.9 ? do you see improvements or do we have to wait until blizz reacts on the open GL changes in mavericks ???

do not talk about SC2 ... this is a joke !!!

btw. : my machine was checked at a service provider - no hardware failure !!!

greets
syr

Not sure what's going on there unless your expectations are just insanely high. Not saying they are, just that I have an iMac down from yours (2.8GHz i7, 6770m) and the only thing higher is my RAM (20GB) yet I'm not getting any sort of unplayable problems with my iMac. My FPS isn't amazing, usually hovering around 30FPS, but definitely not the garbage you seem to be getting.

When the game first starts it seems to take a bit to warm up, strangely enough. I get frame rates between 8 and 12 for about 2 minutes when I first start a game but it picks up after that.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
You might try putting the Diablo 3 install files onto a USB flash drive and run it from there and see if it improves any. That got rid of ALL my frame drop issues on my Mac Mini for games like Call of Duty 4 despite the fact that my RAID0 setup is over 2x faster than my USB3 flash drive (I've read a USB2 drive works too despite the slower throughput as it's a driver issue, not absolute speed). There seems to be some issues with Apple's hard drive drivers of loading new data while a game is playing for some reason and I gather Diablo 3 does this constantly and from what I've read online, some people have solved their issues the same way using a flash drive, which seems to avoid any delays. It's something cheap to try, anyway. I haven't played Diablo 3 since I believe it's overpriced and pushing even more money with the auction house instead of a great game. I bought Torchlight II instead, but they never delivered the Mac version and it keeps crashing lately on my PC since their last update and that's just ridiculous as well. This stuff would never fly on a gaming console.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.