Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
First of all, iOS 7 works on the mini quite well. All the animations are smooth EXCEPT the Pinch To Home one.

There is a noticeable lag and graphical artifacts (non-transluscent dock appearing for a second thus causing the jitteriness) once you use the 4 fingers Pinch To Home gesture.

Going to Home via the Home button has no visible problems, at all. All transitions are smooth.

Is anybody else's mini experiencing the stutter on the Pinch To Home animation?

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Yep, it's there for me too. Not really annoying me at the moment as I haven't really picked up my iPad since my iPhone got iOS 7. (My mini had the GM)

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Thank you for your feedback, guys! :D good to know it's probably gonna be fixed.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
I never really noticed it until now. It doesn't have to look perfectly smooth for me. Then again, I rarely ever use that gesture to get to the home screen. I just use the Home Button.

shiinx

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
The 5-finger pinch to home screen has a stutter for me, too. But I figured this is due to the changed animation times: Everything animates smoothly for the time the iOS6 animation took. But at this point the new animation is not done and directly jumps to the home screen.
I think the Apple engineers simply forogt to change the time constant associated with this animation to the new animation times.

What bugs me more is that the 4-finger swipe to show/hide the active apps no longer has an animation associated with it that corresponds to what you physically do. Before you would essentially drag the screen up or down to show the active apps. Now, you do this gesture for no apparent reason.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
iPad 4 here, same thing.

Otherwise its decent, but some of the animations are still not quite there yet. Expecting this will be fixed with updates.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
The 5-finger pinch to home screen has a stutter for me, too. But I figured this is due to the changed animation times: Everything animates smoothly for the time the iOS6 animation took. But at this point the new animation is not done and directly jumps to the home screen.
I think the Apple engineers simply forogt to change the time constant associated with this animation to the new animation times.

What bugs me more is that the 4-finger swipe to show/hide the active apps no longer has an animation associated with it that corresponds to what you physically do. Before you would essentially drag the screen up or down to show the active apps. Now, you do this gesture for no apparent reason.

I agree about The four finger swipe up gesture. That one feels really awkward on 7. The intuitiveness of it has been stripped away. There's so many little things like that , that Apple seems to have overlooked. They were the kings of making fluid, intuitive interface gestures. Sad to see that slipping away.

jprmercado

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Have you guys noticed a difference between closing first-party apps versus closing third party apps? In my experience, the latter would close without stutter/lag, but first-party (Apple) apps would have it. :/

Also, like you guys, using the Home button doesn't yield any lag. Odd.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I have also got this issue on my iPad 2 but thats not so surprising considering it also has an A5, hopefully it will be fixed in some update.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
This is definitely an issue all over the iOS 7 even on iPad 4. The transparencies are whats causing a lot of the stuttering. Looking at screenshots on the app store fullscreen stutter like crazy. If you turn on "increase contrast" its smooth as butter. Surprised how NOT optimized these transparency effects are. But again only noticeable on screens wheres its used heavily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.