Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How and when will the new Mac Pro be launched?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I had hoped they'd announce a new BTO option for the 27" iMac with a 4K display and then produce a standalone ACD for the new MacPro.

Obviously the former didn't happen, but I'm still holding out hope for a simultaneous MP and new 4K ACD launch.

An approximately $5-6 4K iMac? That doesn't make much sense. Attaching as sky high priced 4K display to an iMac is close to almost tripling the price with the display.

If there is no new iMac LCD panel to leverage it doesn't seem likely there will a new Thunderbolt display/docking station off of a panel that relatively extremely low volume. There are several 3rd parties that can fill the relatively low volume deamnd for 4K displays with devices that simply just take DisplayPort v1.2 input. Plug into Mac Pro and done.

What the Mac Pro is seriously missing is a 21.5" display/docking station, not a 4K one. The minimal Apple display being priced at $999 is high.

It's completely conjecture, but my guess is that they didn't offer a 4K display option for the iMac because either the panel yields are too low or it would push the iMac price too high, or both.

You leaving out the 3rd issue, that is even more significant. At present the 3840x2160 (4K) displays are 31.5" big. A 4K display would require a new physical case for the imac. It is unlikely Apple is going to build a 3rd physical sized iMac. ( there was a brief time during 2006 when Apple had a 3 sized screen line up, but that was a huge outlier. There was no were near the gap between the two top ends either. )

Either way, my inclination is that Mac Pro buyers are less price sensitive than their iMac counterparts reasoning that for many, this a business purchase and the cost will be recouped over time.

There are people in business over the last 3-4 years that required 10-bit displays and studio reference monitors. Apple didn't make those either. There is a huge difference between Apple making something and folks in business being able to buy and utilize it. Right now 4K is relatively small and the monitor ( not docking station ) vendors covering it are for the most part covering the market.

When 4K prices dramatically drop in 1-2 years then there is a play for Apple because demand will go up significantly and there is room for more players.

If so, maybe Apple offers a 4K display mainly for new Mac Pro buyers which then paves the way for it to be offered next year as part of an iMac refresh or redesign.

Until 4K shrinks to 27" and/or 21.5" sizes and current 27"/21.5" price points it probably will not be going into iMac. Doubtful that happens next year.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
What does everything think now? When are they going to unleash the nMP?

Given the iMacs just have Thunderbolt ( not TB v2) ports, I'd say Mac Pro 2013 is more likely later than sooner; Nov-Dec rather than October. If the new MBP and mini also roll out before the Mac Pro with TB v1 then even more so.

It points to TB v2 being a possible supply availability problem which wouldn't be surprising since Intel was targeting 2014 for TB v2 anyway. It also meshes consistently with Apple's targeting broadly to sometime inside of 2013 ( which gives them till late December to get it out the door. )

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Given the pricepoint and target market, I'd expect for many organizations and individuals the new MacPro is a business expense. As a result, some are going to want these out in time to buy them this year so they can book the first year of depreciation expense (if they treat it as a depreciable asset...over 3 or 5 years) in 2013. That's my situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.