Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
If memory serves Apple will likely offer free upgrades to OSX Mavericks with recent computer purchases right? Was thinking they would be co-released but that obviously wasn't the case today.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I believe they provide a free upgrade to new owners once a date of release is announced.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I'm going to buy an iMac now and leave it in the box until Mavericks comes out as I want everything fresh

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I'm going to buy an iMac now and leave it in the box until Mavericks comes out as I want everything fresh

it would make more sense to buy the imac after maverick is release, as it would be preinstalled.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
If memory serves Apple will likely offer free upgrades to OSX Mavericks with recent computer purchases right? Was thinking they would be co-released but that obviously wasn't the case today.

it's like a 20 buck difference. Mavericks isn't coming out for at least a month. I rather have the newest hardware then both for both to be available. Apple isn't like Microsoft who for every small update wants 200 bucks.

That $20 bucks actually works on unlimited computers. My roommate got the newest OS. He put it on his,mine and my/his gfs macbook pros(4). Then when I was selling my dads iMac he was able to put it on that iMac as well.

:D

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
i'm going to buy an imac now and leave it in the box until mavericks comes out as i want everything fresh

lol

----------

it's like a 20 buck difference. Mavericks isn't coming out for at least a month. I rather have the newest hardware then both for both to be available. Apple isn't like Microsoft who for every small update wants 200 bucks.

That $20 bucks actually works on unlimited computers. My roommate got the newest OS. He put it on his,mine and my/his gfs macbook pros(4). Then when I was selling my dads iMac he was able to put it on that iMac as well.

I just dropped 3250$ on my config. Another 20$ is gonna push me over the top! ;)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

With Mountain Lion they gave it free going back six weeks from the release date of the OS. Assuming they do the same with Mavs, you should be in good shape.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
lol

----------

you did not read it correctly, it's not the extra 20 for the software. It's having everything installed on a fresh system rather than set it all up on 10.8 and then upgrade 2 weeks later with the possibility of upgrade junk/bugs to slow down a brand new system. IME a clean install have been better than an upgrade/restore backup

Saltymac

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
Rocky Mt State

Your roommate might want to review his Apple License agreement for installation and use of Mt. Lion on computers that are not his and he is not using let alone reselling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.