Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV competitor Roku has announced a refresh of its line of set-top entertainment boxes, with the new Roku LT, Roku 1, and Roku 2 models joining the flagship Roku 3 that was announced in March, along with a new service allowing for the purchase and rental of movies and TV shows.

Specifically, the entry-level Roku LT retails at $49.99 and allows streaming to virtually any TV with support for 720p HD video quality, with the higher-end Roku 1 offering support for up to 1080p video quality and retailing at $59.99. Additionally, the Roku 2 offers the same 1080p video streaming as the Roku 1, but also borrows the Roku 3's premium remote with built-in headphone jack and dual-band wireless capabilities and now retails for $79.99. The Roku 3 remains the same at $99.99, and features various channels for streaming content and motion gestures with its remote.

newrokuline3-800x459.png
We're excited to announce that streaming is about to get even better with our all-new family of Roku players. First, like all things Roku, we try to simplify everything about streaming, right down to our product names. The new family features the new Roku 1 and Roku 2 to go alongside the Roku 3 that we launched earlier this year. We have also updated our entry level product, the Roku LT, giving all current Roku players a fun, friendly design.

Second, just in time for fall TV viewing, we've added some great new features to give customers more enjoyment and value. For example, we've added a headphone jack for private listening and dual-band wireless to the Roku 2, and support for 1080p HD video to the Roku 1.
Roku is also introducing the M-GO movie and TV store, integrated directly on the device's home screen menu in the U.S. for easy and instant access to a wide variety of movies and TV shows including The Hangover 3 and Breaking Bad. The service also allows for direct billing with a Roku account for buying and renting content.

The move by Roku comes as Apple may be planning to release an updated Apple TV box next month, and comes after the Apple TV 6.0 Software Update last week that featured iTunes Radio and AirPlay from iCloud functionality.

Article Link: Roku Refreshes Set-Top Box Line with New Roku LT, Roku 1, and Roku 2

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I have been saying for Weeks now Apple must drop price of its 3 year old Apple TV.

Apple TV is a CONSUMER device, makes it easy to buy iTunes media.

Amazon is making a mint with it Kindle Fire, basically a tiny storefront. Apple must do same.

invalidname

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
I like my Rokus a lot more than my Apple TV, but I do not get why the company feels the need to put out 4 models with a range of just $50 between the high and low end.

The $10 difference between these models is immaterial, especially when most people buying these things are probably going to be spending $7/month on each of several brand-name services (Netflix, Hulu, etc.), with possible exceptions lik the Amazon Prime customer who's buying it strictly as a way of watching his/her Amazon Instant Video library. Who's going to get miserly with the $20 difference between the Rokus 1 and 2, when it's less than 3 months of Netflix?

Still, Apple's got a clear vision, offering just one product in this class. I can see Roku maybe doing the $50 bare-bones and the $100 Roku 3. But four models seems nuts.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I'm a fan of Roku. I have one and I got one for my mom.

I'm not a fan of all of these models.

The low-end one (Roku LT) works with composite (great for older TVs). It can't do the stuff the higher-end ones can do.

The mid-range ones (Roku 1 and 2?), they have some stuff the top-range (Roku 3) has, but lack its speed. One is just limited (artificially?) by its bundled remote, or something.

Then you have the Roku 3. It doesn't have all the features, either, as it lacks support for old TVs.

It's like Android devices. There are too many, and none do it all.

They should have two models. High-end 3, then low-end 2. Why have 4 models?

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I have been saying for Weeks now Apple must drop price of its 3 year old Apple TV.

Apple TV is a CONSUMER device, makes it easy to buy iTunes media.

Amazon is making a mint with it Kindle Fire, basically a tiny storefront. Apple must do same.

Why? It's selling pretty well, and the Roku that comes the closest in feature set is the same price.

Lactoes

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
I like my Rokus a lot more than my Apple TV, but I do not get why the company feels the need to put out 4 models with a range of just $50 between the high and low end.

Exactly. No one doubts that Roku is putting out a great product, but they are grossly missing the KISS principle here. Having to compare too many variations on the same product is confusing and tiring for consumers, especially the wave of non-techies that should be the company's next target audience.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think only 3 models (at most) would be best. That being said - that's Roku's issue to deal with.

I just got the Roku 3 and love it so far. I have 2 Apple TVs which aren't going anywhere (as I have a lot of iTunes credit) - but Roku is just a very nice device. And they keep progressing...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
About a month ago I replaced our year old ATV with an original Roku that was sitting in the closet. The old Roku is actually much more usable in our setting. Might buy a new Roku just for the faster operation.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
When I typed "Roku 2" into Amazon I get the Roku Gen 2 model. No, this new naming scheme isn't confusing at all!:rolleyes:

Oh please - it was just announced and like with all upgraded products, Amazon will have notice on their page of an updated model. :rolleyes:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That's nice. So where are Netflix user profiles on Roku?

Funny you mention this.

Not having used Roku for long - my immediate first "wish" item is that Roku itself have profiles. This way - with SO many potential channels - my wife doesn't have to see the same channels I have nor I hers. And when my daughter is old enough - she can have her own "set"

Hoping they adopt a profile system...

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Wish I could use one of the newer remotes with my Roku 3.

I have no use of playing the preloaded Angry Bird game nor buying one of the other 7 available. Seems silly to offer that remote with two buttons that are pretty much useless to 99% of people buying a Roku.

With that said, it's a way better value over an AppleTV.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Funny you mention this.

Not having used Roku for long - my immediate first "wish" item is that Roku itself have profiles. This way - with SO many potential channels - my wife doesn't have to see the same channels I have nor I hers. And when my daughter is old enough - she can have her own "set"

Hoping they adopt a profile system...

Great idea.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Oh please - it was just announced and like with all upgraded products, Amazon will have notice on their page of an updated model. :rolleyes:

That won't change the fact that some of Amazon's other retailers as well as sites like eBay will still have Roku 2's and Roku 3's. Imagine if Apple decided to call the iPad Mini the "iPad 2" instead. "Well what iPad 2 do you have, the small iPad 2 or the old iPad 2?" (granted the mini and the 2 have the same guts but that's beside the point.)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That won't change the fact that some of Amazon's other retailers as well as sites like eBay will still have Roku 2's and Roku 3's. Imagine if Apple decided to call the iPad Mini the "iPad 2" instead. "Well what iPad 2 do you have, the small iPad 2 or the old iPad 2?" (granted the mini and the 2 have the same guts but that's beside the point.)

they look different visually, no?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The Rokus? Average Joe will look at them and just see a bunch of black bozes with purple trim.

In your opinion. And in a world where previous iterations aren't taken of the shelf. Or that they don't see a difference in boxes. Or are purposely mislead to buy older stock from a retailer who isn't on the up.

Point is - I don't see it as a large problem. Maybe for the next week or so.. but not long term in the slightest. My opinion of course.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
When you think about it, you save enough money in the course of a couple months without cable to just own both Apple TV and Roku.

I prefer the Apple TV interface (especially with the bluetooth keyboard I have paired with it), Airplay and its ability to stream anything I have in iTunes on my Mac. The Roku does have a better selection of channels, though, so I keep an old one around mainly for Amazon rentals plus a few other niche things.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
When you think about it, you save enough money in the course of a couple months without cable to just own both Apple TV and Roku.

I prefer the Apple TV interface (especially with the bluetooth keyboard I have paired with it), Airplay and its ability to stream anything I have in iTunes on my Mac. The Roku does have a better selection of channels, though, so I keep an old one around mainly for Amazon rentals plus a few other niche things.

I haven't updated my Apple TV2 in about a year. My one gripe (does it still exist?) is that you can't "Search" for titles. You have to scroll. Meaning - I have over 700 movies in my collection. Scrolling is a pain. Can you search now?

theanonymousbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
I had a Roku 3 for a couple weeks but ended up switching to an Apple TV because I had decided compatibility with iTunes was more important to me than I originally thought.

Additionally, the WatchESPN app on the AppleTV makes the device immeasurably more useful to me without cable (I use my parents Comcast account to access WatchESPN). All that said, the Roku 3 box is a very nice device, but the AppleTV features were more appealing to me personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.