Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following news that Microsoft would be accepting trade-ins for Apple iPads at its various retail stores, Forbes is now reporting that the company will add the iPhone to the promotion, offering consumers a minimum of $200 for an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 in select Microsoft stores in the U.S. and Canada.

msipad.png
According to an inside source at Microsoft, Microsoft Stores will begin giving a minimum $200 in-store credit for iPhones on Friday as part of its "#timetoswitch" campaign, obviously hoping consumers will use the cash to buy a Windows Phone. For the past few weeks, Microsoft has been running a similar trade-in campaign enabling consumers to "trade-in" iPads for cash to encourage consumers to buy Microsoft's Surface tablets.
Microsoft has been aggressively trying to compete with Apple in both the phone and tablet market in recent months, with the company posting and later removing anti-Apple Windows Phone videos along with launching Lumia 925 advertisements bashing the iPhone's camera features, The company has also been running a number of anti-iPad television advertisements while also cutting prices to spur sales of its tablet devices. Earlier this week, Microsoft unveiled its second generation of Surface tablets, with shipments set to begin on October 22.

Article Link: Microsoft Retail Stores to Add iPhone to Trade-In Program, Offer at Least $200

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
It's one thing to trade for the Surface (WHICH I WOULD NEVER DO), but to trade in an iPhone for a windows phone... hellllllll nooooo...

jan1024188

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Its a trap. MS wants to buy your Apple devices for cheap, because thats the only thing that they can sell easily at profit.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Peculiar choice of ad copy, at first glance it reads like, "Trade in your iPad, get a mini". I'm sure it's just a coincidence. :)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If they give me 350-400 for my 64GB iPhone 5, I'd consider taking the credit to buy some xbox games at the msft store.

I can see trading in old phones for some cash to buy an Xbox or games. That's not why MS is doing this, but who cares?

But you would trade your 64GB iPhone 5 for some games? Do you have a 5s or 5c? What would you use for a phone? Would it really be worth it?

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
I just find it funny that it's now Microsoft running the "switcher" campaign against Apple. Never thought I'd see that in all honesty.

D.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I wonder why only Apple products. You no want Samsung Galaxy phone and tablets Microsoft?

Felix01

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Another Microsoft ripoff. Verizon gave me $280 for my iPhone 4s/64G when I bought the 5s/64G within 10 minutes of the store opening for 5s sales. Later in the day though, a friend went by and only got $220 for the same phone. Don't know why the allowance went down a few hours later.

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
Even microsoft want iphones :D.

----------

Another Microsoft ripoff. Verizon gave me $280 for my iPhone 4s/64G when I bought the 5s/64G within 10 minutes of the store opening for 5s sales. Later in the day though, a friend went by and only got $220 for the same phone. Don't know why the allowance went down a few hours later.

Because its all based on the condition of the phone... Not just the fact that its the same model.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
This is ridiculous. I don't see anyone switching. The first underlying issue with Windows OS is so dam complicated!

Give up MS and concentrate on your businesses customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.