Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Hey guys,

I was wondering what your opinions on soft silicone or rubber cases vs. hard plastic cases. Do the hard plastic ones actually scratch your iPod? And which provide better protection? Also, what about the hybrid cases? There are multiple piece cases from Switcheasy where the inner piece is silicone and the outside is hard plastic, and there are also cases from Speck and Belkin that have a silicone interior/edge.

Interested in hearing your opinions!
-Ralts

May 8, 2008
I have not noticed any scratching with the hard case I'm using for my 3GS. Also, I believe that hard cases offer better shock absorption/ crush protection.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Hard Cases/Shells are by far the best. I've tried silicone cases before and they offer minimal protection. Hard rubber, if dropped, bounces. More of a chance the screen could get hit. Hard cases (good quality ones) feel good and offer the most protection. I've been using a Griffin iClear since day one. The only con about it is that it is a little tight (which is also a good thing) and small particles could stick to the metal enough so that they are hard to remove. I'll buy another Griffin Shell as soon as they become available.

kelving525

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
NYC
Yes, hard plastic case is definitely the best. I dropped my iPod Touch once from about 4 feet and it landed on it's back-- after I picked it up, it was still good to go.

buckawheat

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
I have a gen 1 iPod Touch which I put a zagg invisible shield on the screen and have used a contourcase called the Showcase http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/12 on since day 1 and used the contour case on my ipod photo as well.

Both were dropped at different points onto cement and both came through without a scratch - from the contour case, the zagg protects the screen from keys, etc in my pocket. I highly recommend this case, however, it doesn't look like they get the new models out very quick (still no Iphone 4 case on the site).

ralts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Yes, hard plastic case is definitely the best. I dropped my iPod Touch once from about 4 feet and it landed on it's back-- after I picked it up, it was still good to go.

I've dropped my iPod touch 1st gen tons of times on hardwood floors, parking lots, sidewalks, etc. I've never used a case and it still works great, although maybe a little bunged up. :D

Thanks guys, so would you recommend the Belkin Grip Vue? It's made of TPU and a lot of people on here seem to love it.

kelving525

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
NYC
I've dropped my iPod touch 1st gen tons of times on hardwood floors, parking lots, sidewalks, etc. I've never used a case and it still works great, although maybe a little bunged up. :D

Thanks guys, so would you recommend the Belkin Grip Vue? It's made of TPU and a lot of people on here seem to love it.

That's actually the case I'm using right now-- BEST CASE I've used. :D

dsc0012tg.jpg

Englishspots

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
I highly recommend the kind that are plastic but have a rubber outer covering, like an otterbox or pelican case. Those work awesome!

kyellowness

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
I think an all plastic case may be a problem when you drop it cuz there's no shock absorption. However, I dont usually like the look of silicone cases. I think the hybrid cases are the best. Best of both worlds. ;)

App King

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Plastics still have some protection. The plastic case will most likely break before it does damage to your products. Rubber protects also but won't shatter. I personally prefer plastic.

AlienSexGod

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
I reckon you are all wrong!

I got a freebie rubber case for my iPhone 4 after seeing my 3GS get shatter before and have seen lots of drops onto concrete at various angles and teh bounce effect is great ... absorbs the shock ... hard case the shock is transferred directly into the screen and gg it's screwed!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hey guys,

I was wondering what your opinions on soft silicone or rubber cases vs. hard plastic cases. Do the hard plastic ones actually scratch your iPod? And which provide better protection? Also, what about the hybrid cases? There are multiple piece cases from Switcheasy where the inner piece is silicone and the outside is hard plastic, and there are also cases from Speck and Belkin that have a silicone interior/edge.

Interested in hearing your opinions!
-Ralts
Silicone I think is too soft and doesn't hold form well, nor doesn't feel good to touch.

Hard shell plastic has no impact absorbsion, seen displays shatter even within a hardcase.

I like the TPU middle ground, firm, but some give. Spigen's ThinArmor, the rubber part has a good consistency IMO.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I've got a Speck case that I bought from the Apple store. It's somewhere in between silicone and hard plastic. It's pretty good quality and provides ggood protection. The only thing I dislike about it is the colour as it's grey.

Maxxwell

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015
Hi guys, I´d like to buy silicone case in bulk for my shop. Do you have any idea where I can find a producer of these silicone cases? I mean: http://en.silroc.cz or similar. I´d like to gen special ornaments there. What do you suggest?

david91

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
I'd prefer the hard case. Its more safe when it comes to falling and is less worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.