Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram today updated its iOS app to version 4.2, redesigning the look of the app for iOS 7 with a "focus on clarity." In addition to a revamp, Instagram has also gained higher resolution photos and videos that now stretch to the edges of the screen.

instagramios7.jpg
We put the community--and the photos and videos you share--first. To bring you the best experience possible, we have always valued beauty and simplicity in our app. With the introduction of iOS 7 and its emphasis on clarity, we were excited to rebuild the look and feel of Instagram in a way that would bring these principles together and let the moments this community captures and shares shine.

In this update you will find that we've increased the size of photos and videos in your feed so that they expand to the edges of your screen. We're also happy to say that increased size means increased resolution, so photos and videos will be clearer and more vibrant than ever.
Along with edge-to-edge photos and videos, Instagram's grid view has been streamlined, incorporating larger thumbnails. The app also has circular profile pictures to better fit into the iOS 7 ecosystem. Aside from a changed look, the app's functionality remains the same.

Instagram can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram Updated for iOS 7 With Larger, Higher Resolution Images

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Are notifications finally fixed now? Whenever I opened notifications they'd never get dismissed, I had to manually dismiss them from the NC.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I understand that their icon is, well, iconic, but I was hoping they'd redesign it. That thing's got to go.

I do like the new design of the app, though I wish they'd have done something a little different with the bottom bar.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Loving the new look, although still needs to be worked with.
The black icons at the bottom look very out of place.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
The app icon has not been redesigned, contrary to what the article states.
Edit

I didn't read crazyspartan678's post correctly.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
I guess it's not technically a redesign, but it is a slight refresh. Slightly different header animation, the text looks like it lost a little bit of weight, the settings icon is different, the profile picture is now a circle, and now there is more white everywhere.

Last edited:

crazyspartan678

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I guess it's not technically a redesign, but it is a slight refresh. Slightly different header animation, the text looks like it lost a little bit of weight, the settings icon is different, the profile picture is now a circle, and now there is more white everywhere.
Oh, I was referring to the app home page icon, which looks extremely out of place in iOS 7

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Oh, I was referring to the app home page icon, which looks extremely out of place in iOS 7
Everyone apart from that dude knew you were referring to the app icon, as the article falsely claims the app icon has been redesigned.

demetr1

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
looks pretty good... but i'd rather have a whatsapp redesign instead... whats taking them so long...?

Last edited:

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
Refresh looks good, but Instagram seems oblivious to the fact people would like to use the service on an iPad.

they shouldnt be able to.. i want to punch people who pull out their big ass ipads at the zoo and ruin my shot.

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA
they shouldnt be able to.. i want to punch people who pull out their big ass ipads at the zoo and ruin my shot.

Some folks still use digital cameras that aren't built into their phones for better quality/ability, and would like to view, edit and upload photos on their iPads.

Maybe we just want to browse photos on the app that's designed for the iPad?

Exactly.

wiryanm

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Functionality did change as I can no longer swipe left to right to move back a screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.