Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some users on Apple's Support Communities discussion forum are expressing discontent with the parallax and zooming animations in iOS 7, claiming that they have experienced bouts of motion sickness, reports The Verge. The specific thread, which spans over eight pages, has users discussing symptoms that correlate to vertigo, intense nausea, and dizziness and which are occurring with prolonged use of iOS 7 involving actions such as returning to the home screen from an app and using the multitasking menu.

ios72.jpg
Instead, most are pointing to the zooming effects that are now ubiquitous across iOS when opening and closing apps or entering the multitasking menu. "I had severe vertigo the minute I started using my iPad with iOS 7," writes Apple forum user glassrabit. "Lost the rest of the day to it." Another user, nybe, writes, "I had to go home 'sick' from work because of the intense nausea due to using my iPhone with iOS 7."
Apple has included a "Reduce Motion" option within iOS 7's Accessibility menu, but that option only seems to turn off the parallax effect on the homescreen. Users in the thread have also called the company's support line, but were informed by Apple that there is no way to completely turn off the effects. After its release last week, Apple announced earlier this week that iOS 7 is reportedly running on 200 million iOS devices, which makes it the fastest software upgrade in history.

Article Link: iOS 7 Users Complaining About Motion Sickness Due to Parallax and Zooming Effects

DowdyFick

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
This is a bit ridiculous. Those who are having motion sickness from using a phone are perhaps better suited for a Blackberry.

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
This whole article is ridiculous. Why is MacRumors giving credibility to something this ludicrous? Grow a pair, people!

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Wow i feel a ******** lawsuit coming from this. What is wrong with people. The zoom isn't all that different then before except it comes from the icon you open and not the middle of the screen and like the article said you can turn off parallax. Todays world is made of a bunch of little bitches who just "bitch" about everything.

jeffk395

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
I have been a very long time reader of MacRumors, but never a poster... until now.

This is the type of article you should let The Today Show or Good Morning America tackle. Come on, MacRumors - you are better than this.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
One wonders how these people walk around or drive cars without becoming 'sick'.

PS: Waiting for the inevitable class action lawsuit against deep-pocketed Apple on behalf of those whose lives have been ruined by iOS 7's zooming effects.

noTe on iPhone

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion

This doesn't disable the transitions between switching apps. That disables the background moving very slightly.

The complaints are real, unless you have the condition... you wouldn't understand. It doesn't really bother me but I can see it bothering some people. Apple just needs to include a setting to turn off transitions... problem solved.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Yeaaaa, don't blame a generation for something so frivolous. Because theres idiots like this in every generation.

that is true. But this generation has more of a platform to voice these concerns. Generations back didn't have this much media to bitch on.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I have a bit of vertigo, I'll get really dizzy standing near a short ledge on a building or if I am falling a long distance in a video game (Only if I am close to the screen so it takes up most of my visual field.) I haven't had any issues with the animations in iOS 7 though. I am guessing it is only for more severe cases.

I do wish the unlock animation was shorter though. It seems to be nearly a second long...Plus on iOS 6 you could start swiping around immediately, now you have to wait for the animation to complete.

CaptainBlue

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I'd quite like to switch the whole lot off too, but only because it slows everything down: things like getting from the off screen to the lock screen to be able to input the passcode and then to actually get to the home screen. It's sluggish as an old PC now!

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
This doesn't disable the transitions between switching apps. That disables the background moving very slightly.

The complaints are real, unless you have the condition... you wouldn't understand. It doesn't really bother me but I can see it bothering some people. Apple just needs to include a setting to turn off transitions... problem solved.

What kind of condition makes for this to happen? Also, are they sitting there staring at the home screen for hours? :confused:

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
This whole article is ridiculous. Why is MacRumors giving credibility to something this ludicrous? Grow a pair, people!

Exactly, it's just troll-bait for the rapid anti-Apple posters on that website. At least it got the Verge 500+ comments and a bump to the front page since yesterday. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.