Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r4v!n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
India
Hey,

I have a Macbook (Final Generation) (white) running OSX 10.6.8 - Snow leopard.

I want to know whether upgrading to OSX Maverick will slow my macbooks overall performance down?

Configuration:
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Disk: 250 GB

Last edited:

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
I think yes, it will be slower, mainly because of the 2GB RAM. It would be better with 4GB.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I would certainly put more RAM in it, even for 10.6.

Otherwise, Mvxs should not significantly reduce the performance of the machine. It may even increase it slightly.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I think yes, it will be slower, mainly because of the 2GB RAM. It would be better with 4GB.
It's knee-jerk comments like this that crack me up. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? :) Based on what we've been told, 10.9 should technically be better at handling memory than any other previous release:

2013-09-21 10.54.33 am.png

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
For each year your computer is you should have 1.72GB of RAM. Now, if you really want to be fancy, you can use the flipopolopous formula and just divide 7 by 3.2 for every 11 months. Another trick for the daring, is to simply set your system date back to 1992, and put your screen brightness at 64 percent. :p

Seriously, though… doubling your RAM will make your MB a lot better over all.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
All of those might be appropriate for a Windows machine, but they aren't really applicable to Macs, despite the quoted source. For example, Mac OS defrags in the background. Junk software doesn't do anything unless it's running, which it probably isn't. Preferences don't have anything to do with performance. Caches actually make the machine faster. Startup items don't exist (your Startup Items folder is probably already empty), and files in the trash just sit there doing nothing.

Synaesthesia242

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
^Yeah just have some free hard drive space for the Mac to auto-defrag with. A really full HDD will slow your Mac somewhat. But yeah it pretty much takes care of itself.

With time the hard drive can degrade in performance, particularly if it’s on it’s way out. In addition to extra RAM, buying an SSD makes an enormous difference in performance.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Your system should run much better with Mavericks with the same amount of RAM. I would def upgrade.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Your system should run much better with Mavericks with the same amount of RAM. I would def upgrade.

Finally an answer to the question. He didn't ask if he bought air conditioning and a new car would his Mac run faster.

Forget the memory (pun intended); Mac's always run faster when mounted on a wooden fencepost :D!

beautiful%2520mac.jpg

r4v!n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
India
Big help

I appreciate the input guys.
Maverick specs do claim to make any system more faster because of that memory sleep thing (spoken about on WWDC 2013, don't remember what its actually called).
But regardless, i'll upgrade the RAM, which is surely needed.
Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.