Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tagy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2003
UK
DSC00248.jpg

got given a 15" Ti book, from my dads work, it had been dropped (alot). Hinges completly broken, screen is only attached by the wiring.

DSC00250.jpg

At first the screen did not light up, reconected some wires at the back ( yes this is temporary ;) ) and it came to life :)

DSC00251.jpg

very scratched, alot worse than this photo looks, few bumps and bends in the sides aswell

DSC00253.jpg

dada!

the specs :D :p 1Ghz G4, 768MB ram, 60GB HD, superdrive, airport.

just using it proped up in one place as a desktop, until I can hopefully get some hinges, or a complete casing.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Fantastic score!

You just have to wonder about people who can so abuse a PowerBook like that though. Still, their loss is your gain.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
wow, those specs are better than my rev b, 12" al PB! Once you fix that up a little you will have a great, free laptop there. :cool:

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Summat you may be able to do is make a G5 iMac type thing, and fold the main part round, and use an external KB and Mouse. Just imagine... a Titanium iMac Thing :p

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You could plug a screen into the monitor port and use it as a headless powerbook.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Chundles said:
You could plug a screen into the monitor port and use it as a headless powerbook.

Or order some hinge replacements. Depends on how much effort you're willing to put in/if you need a laptop.

tagy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2003
UK
going to try and restore it to a proper laptop again I think, the screen is lovely, I only have a horrible blurry crt monitor otherwise.

buz.jpg

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
check out http://www.pbfixit.com they should have some guides and parts for you as well. good luck with the project and that is an awesome thing to get for free. let us know how it turns out in the end.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Funny how that old old Powerbook has similar specs to a modern Mac Mini, and is probably smaller.

Oh wait, that's not funny. That's sad. :eek:

Anyway, great gift if you fix it up. Otherwise it's just garbage. ;) It's much cheaper than buying a Mini, and you're pretty much getting the same thing for free.
And go to one of the good fix-it sites available. They're usually quite good at fixing/replacing hinges and such, although it depends on how much money you're willing to spend to do so.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Yup. Completely useless. Theres no use for it. Clearly a write off...

You can just send it to me to dispose of it. :)

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
better specs than my mac mini, besides the processor(1.25 GHZ) :( :( :(. I'm crying right now. The only computers I can find at my dads work are PCs.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
XIII said:
Yup. Completely useless. Theres no use for it. Clearly a write off...

You can just send it to me to dispose of it. :)

Oooh, you sound just like me. :):)

and nice! Free 15" PBs are the best...

I remember when I was a young girl, I got a free PowerBook.
Now that I'm older, I look back on that day and laugh quietly to myself... what a day!

I hope that post made me sound old. That's what I was going for. I wanted to sound like I was about 80 describing "the good ol' days"

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I wish you all the best tagy. It would seem that you have an awesome opportunity before you, good luck.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Nice :D Wish I'd gotten my PB for free, even if it was in that condition.

But what's that thingy in the second picture? I didn't see it in the first.. Or did I? :confused:

DSC00250_1.jpg

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
dubbz said:
Nice :D Wish I'd gotten my PB for free, even if it was in that condition.

But what's that thingy in the second picture? I didn't see it in the first.. Or did I? :confused:

DSC00250_1.jpg

pftb1b9st.jpg

one of those twisty cap thingiees
yea

but made of tape

yess

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
XIII said:
That was the style I was going for, of course.... ;)

Free things are just so much better than paid for, I'll tell you what!

I was telling genius bar yesterday, "If I had paid for this PB, I would hate it! I'd install Virtual PC, with XP service pack 1, have no firewall open, and leave it on the internets all day!"

but since it was free, I take good care of it. :p

tagy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2003
UK
I fixed the wiring, soldered it back together.

then I fixed the hinges using metal and glue. I know this is not the neatest job ever, but I was only concerned with being able to use it, and it was the cheapest way I could come up with.

It now works great, the hinge is nice and tight and holds the screen at any angle. here are some pics:

8223e8c3.jpg

9ec9e154.jpg

a942d15c.jpg

9ad3c9e2.jpg

88aad6d4.jpg

c9fd8da9.jpg

3a99734e.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.