Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After announcing a refresh to its line of iMacs earlier this week, Apple has quietly increased the prices of all Mac mini configurations in multiple countries, including Australia, Brazil, and Malaysia, reports 9to5Mac. In Australia, the prices of the standard Intel Core i5 2.5GHz, Intel Core i7 2.3GHz, and Mac mini with OS X Server models are now A$749, $A999, and A$1249 respectively, up from their previous prices of A$699, A$899, and A$1099.

mac_mini_price_raised-800x412.png
Apple has tweaked pricing on some accessories as well in other countries. For example, UK customers have seen price increases on the Apple Wireless Keyboard (£2), Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (£4), and Cinema Display VESA Mount Adapter Kit (£4). More significant prices increases have come on replacement MacBook and MacBook Pro batteries (£8), and the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (£15).

Earlier this year, the Mac Mini's shipping estimates increased to 5-7 days on the Apple Online Store, leading to hope for a potential refresh, but they returned to normal a few days later without an update. Notably, the Mac Mini is still using Intel's last-generation Ivy Bridge processors, with the 2013 MacBook Air and recent iMac refresh using Intel's new Haswell processors, which contain features such as lower power usage, better performance, and increased battery life for laptops.

If Apple is to refresh the Mac Mini this year, it would potentially be a part of a number of updates to various products in its line, including a new line of iPads, a new Apple TV, and a new MacBook Pro with Intel's Haswell processors, as well as the company's dramatically redesigned Mac Pro. All products are expected to be refreshed in the following months before the end of the year.

Update: Contrary to the original report, Mac mini prices have not increased in Portugal.

Article Link: Apple Quietly Raises Prices of Mac Mini Models in Multiple Countries

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
I'm really on edge if Apple is going to do this to the new rMBP too. I'm currently holding out until the next gen but if they're going to raise the prices too....

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Not necessarily recently. Apple is known for sticking to existing price points -- if last year's product sold at $699, then this year's update also sells for $699, and next year's will too. Except that currencies can change in those three years, and at some point adjustments need to happen.

For example, I didn't pick $699 out of thin air. That was the price of an unlocked iPhone 5 (16 GB) here in Canada. At least until this year. The unlocked iPhone 5S is $719. The price got bumped presumably because the Canadian dollar, which was hovering at or above par with the USD for a long time, is now in the 96-cent range.

mikeoui

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2011
Milwaukee, WI, USA
If this was a more consistent bump, I would wonder if perhaps they are upping prices before a refresh so they can charge more but say that the price is "staying the same" when they announce the refresh.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
What does "quietly" mean in this context?

Did Apple ever host an event to announce 5-10% price hikes on some specific products in some specific countries?

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
If this was a more consistent bump, I would wonder if perhaps they are upping prices before a refresh so they can charge more but say that the price is "staying the same" when they announce the refresh.

I'm hoping this means a refresh is fairly imminent. Then I'll just need to see the Geekbench scores to determine which model I want before ordering. Waiting to see if these get the same PCIe storage as the MBAs and iMacs have, that would be a very welcome boost.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
What does "quietly" mean in this context?

Did Apple ever host an event to announce 5-10% price hikes on some specific products in some specific countries?

I don't think prices would generally just up and change in the middle of the night. Instead what would happen is the previous model of some product would be $499 and Apple would announce the new version of the product and say "It is priced at just $549 and will be available today". Bam, price increase announced.

Actually, that's probably not even true -- what would happen is that Apple would announce the product pricing in US dollars and then we would go to our own country's Apple Stores and discover whatever price they had assigned in our own currency. We would then discover that it used to be priced at $499 and now is $549, and say "oh well, guess the price went up a bit."

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
didn't apple have legal trouble in countries that require a 2-3 year warranty and they were pushing applecare?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
We pay more in the UK and EU because of local tax law ..

With a number of products even if you take into account VAT and US-State tax when comparing products, we still end up paying a significant premium.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post here, Tim. :apple:

Nah, if it was Tim, he'd say: "We at Apple believe in producing the best products in the world. We think cost is second to the experience and the joy you get when you use our products, and we think once you get your hands on one, you'll agree."

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
Please, don't say that. Waiting for the refreshed models and hoping they would be cheaper!!!

I'm going to wait it out. I'll get the new version providing the price doesn't rise and the graphics stays discrete. I would have bought one already at the discounted prices the yanks were getting at Best Buy.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Nah, if it was Tim, he'd say: "We at Apple believe in producing the best products in the world. We think cost is second to the experience and the joy you get when you use our products, and we think once you get your hands on one, you'll agree."

He'd be right too.

You either help pay a contribution towards the extra cost of doing business internationally, or you live without the best products in the world.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.