Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nooj

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Wait - if there is a warranty issue, Apple sent you back to the carrier store for a replacement, rather than replacing at the Genius Bar?

I ask because the 5S is the first iPhone I have ever bought at a carrier store (all others were at an Apple Store), and my AT&T receipt states clearly that I have to go to Apple for all warranty issues. I assumed that meant replacements as well - not that Apple would need to authorize a replacement but I'd still need to trek to the AT&T store to get the actual device replacement done.

Thanks for any insight you (or anyone else) can provide. I not only have the gyro issue but also a very loose power/lock button.

Mike

I'm in Australia, so the process might be different.

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA
Replacement

My first 5S showed -6 on a level surface. Factory C3, week 37.

But it had a much worse problem: The accelerometer reported constant motion. If I zeroed the compass, it would slowly drift to -1, -2, -3, and so on at the rate of about 3 degrees per minute. If I pointed "Star Walk" at the sky, the sky would continue to move in the direction of the Home button (i.e., as if I was slowly turning in a circle -- with the direction determined by whether I had the Home button on the left or right).

Restore and setup as new had no effect. So I took it to the genius bar on Wednesday. They confirmed the problem and swapped it for a "plain box" replacement 5S. It does NOT have the constant motion problem. (Yay!)

My replacement 5S reports -2 on a level surface. Factory DN, week 35.

My wife's 5S also reports -2 on a level surface. Factory F2, week 38.

Last edited:

Jets fan

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Just a heads up I returned 3 phones, all being 2 degrees off!!!! I was finally able to get customer care to direct me to an engineer. They are looking into the problem and have no time frame for when this will be fixed. So don't bother returning your phone because more then likely it will have the same problem. I will keep you all posted when I get more info. They would not let me know if this is a software issue or hardware.

----------

Also when I was at the 5th ave store I looked at the display 5s phones 9/10 phones showed any where from 2degrees to5 degrees off. One 16gig space gray was perfect.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
It could be fixed by software via calibration but not sure how they will do it. My bet is they will fix something at the factory and silently replace them unless this makes much bigger news.

Hang in there I am sure it will get fixed eventually.

Just a heads up I returned 3 phones, all being 2 degrees off!!!! I was finally able to get customer care to direct me to an engineer. They are looking into the problem and have no time frame for when this will be fixed. So don't bother returning your phone because more then likely it will have the same problem. I will keep you all posted when I get more info. They would not let me know if this is a software issue or hardware.

----------

Also when I was at the 5th ave store I looked at the display 5s phones 9/10 phones showed any where from 2degrees to5 degrees off. One 16gig space gray was perfect.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
Just tested the level on my phone and its -1 deg. Dont' really have a legit Compass to test that out.

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA
Never realized so many people use this feature oh wait I'm sure most of us don't

I actually use it a lot, via the "Star Walk" astronomy app.

Even -2 degrees off is annoying (but not catastrophic) as when you hold the phone up the horizon is noticably tilted. To get the horizon straight (relative to the display), you have to move one end of the phone about 5-6mm (almost 1/4 inch) higher than the other. Otherwise, it looks like the horizon is "uphill" because it is 1/4" higher at one edge than the other.

My first 5S was -6 degrees off. To get the horizon straight with that one, I had to hold one end of the phone about 14mm (over 1/2") higher than the other to get the horizon straight.

Last edited:

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I actually use it a lot, via the "Star Walk" astronomy app.

Even -2 degrees off is annoying (but not catastrophic) as when you hold the phone up the horizon is noticably tilted. To get the horizon straight, you have to move one end of the phone about 5-6mm (almost 1/4 inch) higher than the other.

My first 5S was -6 degrees off. To get the horizon straight with that one, I had to hold one end of the phone about 14mm (over 1/2") higher than the other to get the horizon straight.

Oh man...THAT explains it. I tried using my Star Walk app after upgrading to iOS7 and I could NOT get the horizon to work right and for things to align. Drove me crazy so I quit the app and thought it was just me. :(

I really hope Apple acknowledges this and finds a real remedy.

atseng

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
As an electrician I use this feature a lot . It also effects games that use the gyroscope.

Hey Jets fan, were you there on Tuesday??? I think I was in front of you and tried to give you the spot but they wouldn't allow us to swap spots.

When they offered you the replacement phones, did it come out of those "plain-box"??

Thanks

Jets fan

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Hey Jets fan, were you there on Tuesday??? I think I was in front of you and tried to give you the spot but they wouldn't allow us to swap spots.

When they offered you the replacement phones, did it come out of those "plain-box"??
At

Atseng yes it's me! Yes they were in those white boxes , but they were new phones not refurbs. I looked at about 3 phones all the same problem. The apple rep told me if it is a hardware issue they will send me a new phone in an official box. I feel this is a hardware issue from the factory and a lot of phones have this problem. The thing is a lot of people don't use all the features so they don't there phones are off .

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Mine is -3 to -4 on level surface.

I went to the Apple store try to get an exchange, but then confirmed that they will not be replacing it with a brand new retail phone, but their typical "new" phone in a plastic non-marked box.

For those of you who may care about unlocking your phone and use it abroad(I have AT&T), I had my iPhone 4 replaced under warranty with those new/refurbished phone in black plastic box, and when my 2 year was up, AT&T said they have no record of the phone and could not help me unlock it, even after providing the IMEI and ESN#. When I contacted Apple, they told me to call AT&T, so I ended up with an phone that's locked even after contract expiration.

So I decided to wait for Best Buy (where I bought the iPhone 5s) to get a replacement and get it replaced with a new phone.

I wonder if it is specific to a particular batch of the iPhone 5s, whether it's 16/32/64gb or a particular color model or a particular series of serial number batches.

For what it's worth, my phone is space gray 64GB AT&T iPhone 5s. And when I entered my serial # into the link http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html , I get the following result:

Nice Name: iPhone 5s
Machine Model: iPhone6,1
Family name: A1533
Model Number: ME311
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation:
CPU speed: 1.3GHz
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Space Gray
Production year: 2013
Production week: 34 (August)
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 64GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

Don't ask for an exchange. Just get a full refund. Then buy another.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Lined up against my apple box separating my iphone 4 and iphone 5s pointing directly south, here are the readings. I did this because the stainless steel band and/or other parts of the 4 were affecting the compass when lined up against each other. I might go over to a buddies and use his iphone 5 to take pics or video. Lets keep this thread civil and on track. Please present facts only. Trolls need not reply...

I put my 5s and a 5, both running ios7, on my bed, about eight inches apart, and lined them up against a book spine. Compass heading was exactly the same, and there was a 1 degree delta on the level (well, it IS a bed...). These devices do give off electromagnetic radiation, so if you have them close they will affect each other's magnetometer, as well as any other electronic devices which may be nearby.

rdsylvia7

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Who CARES? Buy yourself a level at Home Depot if you really need to know.

I don't know, man. One of the phone's advertising points was the motion processor. It's a bit like saying that the camera doesn't work well, and that if you wanted a photo, you should get a camera.

converge

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
iPhone 4
Laying flat: -1
On left side:-1
On right side: 0
On top side: -1
On bottom side: -1

iPhone 5s
On left side: -1
On right side: -1
On top side: 0
On bottom side: -1

This way done in the middle of my computer desk. No idea if that's perfectly flat though.

Edit: Another test but on a wood floor.

iPhone 4
On left side: 1
On right side: 1
On top side: 1
On bottom side: 1

iPhone 5s
Laying flat: -2
On left side: 2
On right side: -1
On top side: 0
On bottom side: 1

Last edited:

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
My 5S is also off about 4 degrees, which is noticeable to the naked eye. It just looks crooked when the level says its level.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Oh man...THAT explains it. I tried using my Star Walk app after upgrading to iOS7 and I could NOT get the horizon to work right and for things to align. Drove me crazy so I quit the app and thought it was just me. :(

I really hope Apple acknowledges this and finds a real remedy.

this appears to be more of a hardware thing with the 5S not an ios 7 thing. Updating the OS should not have affected you unless there are other issues going on.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I may be going nuts here...but after finding some old threads where people with 3GS's complained they were off after updates...I tried a DFU restore and upgrade to 7.0.2. My gyro still isn't correct but it went from reading -4 to -3 on the same table in the same position.

Is it possible it is initialized during a restore and the periodic recalibration the engineers attempted isn't working like it should? And yes, I'm positive it is in the exact same position. My 5 reads 0 on the table and I can visually see the 5S is off but its better than it was. It was sitting level but on its side during the restore.

Can anyone else try this and confirm?

Edit: Also, for those with compasses that are off, you can apparently do the old figure-8 unprompted with the compass app open and it will correct at least large errors. I messed mine up with a magnet and then tried and it worked. The two phones do throw each other off though so you can't place them too close when comparing.

Last edited:

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
iPhone 5s compass/accelerometer is a joke, if you ask me. It's the only major flaw in the device… :(

Which one is right? I have no idea….

All I know is, the -6 degree iPhone 5s is mine, and it's impossible to play accelerometer-based games. The -1 degree is a new iPhone 5s picked up today. The -4 degree 5s is my wife's, picked up the same day as mine.

BEFORE anyone says anything, those results are the same whether the phones are next to each other OR NOT!!!

If they are reading the same without being next to each other, its because they are calibrated off (once they are placed next to each other, they are off). You can do this yourself with a magnet. Do the old figure-8 motion on each with the compass app open and then get a reading on each without placing side by side.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I tried a full restore and no effect. Im still thinking this is some sort of factory calibration issue. The circuits boards and tolerances are very tight on the 5S like the 5 and maybe only a very very small 5's had this issue. Most of the 5S's have this issue. For the ones off 6 degrees it would have to be a pretty crooked chip board if it is hardware. The only other variable could be the motion chip.

What is interesting is you used to do a figure 8 to calibrate the compass which I still do after the circle. The ball going around the circle is controlled by the accelerometer/gyro on how you tilt the phone. I wonder if Apple can somehow use this method to help level the phone. buy doing it several times and taking an average (I tried this many times and nothing changed). Maybe that method is supposed to calibrate the compass and accelerometer/gyro but Apple forgot to set something in the software.

For the compass I recommend people do the figure 8 after the circle and test it away from other devices etc. Do not compare them side by side etc.

I may be going nuts here...but after finding some old threads where people with 3GS's complained they were off after updates...I tried a DFU restore and upgrade to 7.0.2. My gyro still isn't correct but it went from reading -4 to -3 on the same table in the same position.

Is it possible it is initialized during a restore and the periodic recalibration the engineers attempted isn't working like it should? And yes, I'm positive it is in the exact same position. My 5 reads 0 on the table and I can visually see the 5S is off but its better than it was. It was sitting level but on its side during the restore.

Can anyone else try this and confirm?

Edit: Also, for those with compasses that are off, you can apparently do the old figure-8 unprompted with the compass app open and it will correct at least large errors. I messed mine up with a magnet and then tried and it worked. The two phones do throw each other off though so you can't place them too close when comparing.

Pastries

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
My space grey iphone came out of the box with 3 on the compass app and I erased it and it jumped down to a -1 I suspect that this may be a software issue with iOS 7.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Im pretty certain the erase didn't fix it. I tried it with a couple of devices and so have others with no change.

My space grey iphone came out of the box with 3 on the compass app and I erased it and it jumped down to a -1 I suspect that this may be a software issue with iOS 7.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Compass seems ok on my 5s. Gyroscope shows 0 with iphone standing vertically. -3 horizontally on side, and -3 on back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.