Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
The magsafe 2 connector on my 2012 13-inch MBA becomes disconnected quite easily. Is this a function of the design so when you trip over the cord you don't pull the entire laptop off a table or wherever it may be? Sometimes when I'm lying in bed it just comes unplugged if I move around a little. Is this something I should take it to the Apple Store to have checked out? Also, if I should venture to the store, should I go today (Sept. 20) or will it be way too crowded with the iPhone launch and thus impossible to get help?

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I have that issues with the new magsafe also, i think they used a weaker magnet to help prevent damage.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Apple should've stayed with the L-connector, much more esthetic and functional.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I like that its probably just a small rare rare earth magnet to make the connection tighter. $20 is a lot though for that.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I like that its probably just a small rare rare earth magnet to make the connection tighter. $20 is a lot though for that.

If it keeps annoying you all day, that's a small price to pay.

Love my Magsafe1. super low profile and works perfect. When deciding between a 2012 and a 2011, THIS seemly minor item pushed me over.

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
I have that issues with the new magsafe also, i think they used a weaker magnet to help prevent damage.

Not sure about that! The Magsafe on my 2013 Air is seriously strong.. trying to pull it out is actually quite difficult!

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Both my MBA and MBP have excellent mag safe connectors. I enjoy the precise fit and ideal solution to avoid damage if someone trips over the cord.

Perhaps the OP got a bad one.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Both my MBA and MBP have excellent mag safe connectors. I enjoy the precise fit and ideal solution to avoid damage if someone trips over the cord.

Perhaps the OP got a bad one.

Agreed. Love the magnet on these things.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
And only be able to plug it in one way or else block the adjacent ports?

Nope, the L-shape plugs in two ways, 180degree's opposite. With the cable running to the rear, does not block ports. What I hate about Mag2 is the cable HAS to run 90deg left, which limits options on placing the Air against anything to the left (leg, desk, wall, etc). This was a step back, and one reason I'm not upgrading my 2010 Air to something less functional.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
The new MagSafes do come off easily, but there are limits. I found a microscopic bit of schmutz had gotten into my connector. Cleaned it out with a wooden toothpick, and instantly doubled the holding force.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Not sure about that! The Magsafe on my 2013 Air is seriously strong.. trying to pull it out is actually quite difficult!

seconded...i was actually expecting it to be weak because several people have made such a claim but mine isn't noticeably different from the magsafe 1 on my macbook. the new one is small so ostensibly it should be easier to pull out if they used the same strength magnet, but i'm not really noticing it.

The fact that some people are and others aren't might suggest a minor (albeit understandably annoying) QC issue...

jmac1642

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
vancouver bc canada
check your magsafe port for even the smallest bit of schmutz

just got a new mac book air, connected the magsafe for the first time and saw immediately that it was loose, jiggly, and disconnected easily.
:(
quickly googled to see if this was normal - ended up here reading sjinsjca's comment.

took a magnifying glass and looked at the port - indeed there was the smallest piece of loose (magnetic) metal in there - pushed it around with a wooden toothpick before i took a pair of tweezers and removed it and now the magsafe fits perfectly as expected.
:)
totally try checking and cleaning your magsafe port.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.