Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Interestingly enough, I secretly swapped my wife's 5 with the 5s. Sort of a science experiment. She has not even noticed. She just thinks her 5 was updated to iOS 7. She has a case on it that covers the home button, so she does not see the new fingerprint scanner. I know, I know... I will tell her... eventually. At any rate, I think the casual user will not notice much difference in the performance of the 5 and 5s right now. It's us 'power users' that will notice the little things. That, or it is a placebo effect. :D

You should casually mention the fact that the iOS 7 update turns your home button into a fingerprint sensor, and ask if she's tried it out yet. :D

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
I did upgrade from 5 to htc one and it is a big differance...I do like it :D

Lol I went from HTC One and am loving the 5S! The HTC One is a beautiful phone, I'm just an inveterate gadget-hopper and love seeing what each platform is up to every few months.

Hope you have as much fun with your new HTC One as I'm having with my iPhone! I love the Zoe/Highlights feature, be sure to dive into those and see how they work. Cool stuff....

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Battery life is slightly better, maybe. I can't tell. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, or maybe slightly better. Nothing to write home about, honestly. If you were fine with the 5, you'll be fine with this. If you struggled with your battery on the 5, the S likely won't be much better.

If you have everthing activated on iOS 7 and you feel that your phone is slightly better...then it's actually way better. I had to disable almost everything on my iPhone 5 inorder to make it slightly better than it was on iOS 6.

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
Got the 5s and gave my 5 to the Misses, who was using a 4.

Truth be told, I would have given her the 5s if she wanted it. She'd rather stay with the 4... lol.

eric.john

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
made the upgrade and i'm glad i did. iOS 7 is noticeably smoother on the 5s than the 5 only cause i do heavy app usage

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I have a 5 and will probably upgrade once the supply situation calms down and best buy gets stock

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
I did. Better camera (panorama and burst mode for me), slightly better battery life, and future proof (as far as the iOS environment goes).

What's better about the panoramic camera mode? I upgraded from the 5 to 5S but only because I was finally getting my daughter a phone and I wasn't going to let her have a newer phone then myself. Finally set it up today, and it is faster, but only during certain program loads and animations. I have not been able to test the low-light abilities of the camera but I did try the panoramic setting and it still makes crazy distorted pictures as the 5. I hate the commercials from last year showing a panoramic picture of all of those kids at the party and they are all totally straight with no distortion. Total BS.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Performance - same or very trivial edge to the 5S.
Battery - slightly better on the 5S
Camera - better on the 5S, but only for low light shots.

The ONLY substantial upgrade is the Fingerprint Sensor.

I buy *device only* every refresh because it's part of my business, plus I'm an Apple Dev.

If you're expecting a 3GS - 4 kinda upgrade, you'll be a bit disappointed.

If you have the 5, you really have no reason to get the 5S [ want aside ]

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
If you have the 5, you really have no reason to get the 5S [ want aside ]

Glad you speak for everyone.

My wife and I each had a 5 and using other numbers in our plans, bought the 5s. We had lots of reasons to get the 5s despite the clear reasonings of this genius dev.

Battery life is actually worse than our 5. But other features make up for it. Still using trial and error to try to help the battery situation.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Tons faster, way better camera, battery life is amazing.

Oh please. I had a 5 and now a 5S. "Tons faster", (forgetting that tons is the worst possible word you could use to connote speed) is a blatant exaggeration at best. Snappier, smoother, yes, but "tons faster" it is not.

And battery life is "amazing"? Did you actually turn it on? Half of what I've read says it's somewhat worse than the 5, and the other half says it's slightly better. You are the first and only "amazing" on the entire internet.

Sounds like someone just got their phone today and is sooper eggcited.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Oh please. I had a 5 and now a 5S. "Tons faster", (forgetting that tons is the worst possible word you could use to connote speed) is a blatant exaggeration at best. Snappier, smoother, yes, but "tons faster" it is not.

And battery life is "amazing"? Did you actually turn it on? Half of what I've read says it's somewhat worse than the 5, and the other half says it's slightly better. You are the first and only "amazing" on the entire internet.

Sounds like someone just got their phone today and is sooper eggcited.

You are such a jerk in your posts sometimes, but it's freaking hilarious!

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Glad you speak for everyone.

My wife and I each had a 5 and using other numbers in our plans, bought the 5s. We had lots of reasons to get the 5s despite the clear reasonings of this genius dev.

Battery life is actually worse than our 5. But other features make up for it. Still using trial and error to try to help the battery situation.

I wasn't speaking for everyone, as you put it, but I suppose it's okay for certain narcissistics to draw conclusions on generalization ..:rolleyes: I'm glad you could read my mind!

I'd like to hear the *lots* of reasons for getting the 5S while having the 5 !!

Amuse me, and the audience ...

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Little bit snappier, slightly better camera, fingerprint gimmick.

Not worth hundreds for the tiny upgrades. Wait for the 6.

And likely the 6 won't be worth the upgrade from the 5s. In the opinion of some. If the primary difference is a bigger screen I may just prefer the 5s.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I went from the 5 to the 5s. I've been running iOS 7 since the first beta. Honestly I don't notice any differences. The only thing better is TouchID and if you use the camera a lot the new effects / dual led flash.

Unless you got upgrades to kill (like I do) I wouldn't rec most 5 owners to get a 5s.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Little bit snappier, slightly better camera, fingerprint gimmick.

Not worth hundreds for the tiny upgrades. Wait for the 6.

It's definitely 'snappier'....whatever that implies. I gave my wife my 5 and bought the 5s. It loads apps significantly quicker...IB3 on my son's iTouch 5 and wife's 5 takes nearly a minute to open. On the 5s, it's seconds. Same with the Asphalt series I've noticed. As well, with iMovie, I've noticed a drastic difference playing with the effects, uploading and saving with a lot of edits between still and motion as well as the addition of music. The animations and general fluency of the UI Is definitely flawless, on the 5 there's once in a while a slow down or 'missed frame' (don't know now else to explain it). Maybe it's iOS 7--but to me, error and spelling correction seems much faster as well. As far as battery life, I've noticed maybe a 10-15% improvement.

Finger print is definitely NOT a gimmick. It's an absolute home run, works quick, elimates the 'code' and it's exceptionally accurate and easy to use.

Why wait for the '6'? Seriously?

According to most of the bench tests, not much faster. Its notoriety pretty much. If the fingerprint scanner sells you + the little improved camera, then it's the phone for you if not save your bennies.

Lol. Not sure which benchmarks you've looked at but a quick scan of anandtech's review with a pleothera of benchmarks...the iPhone 5s doubles, triples...and in some cases quadruples the performance of the '5' and ANY other phone on the market. While apps haven't been optimized to take advantage of its power...they're coming. But your comment is horse pucky. It's an absolute powerhouse and an actual computer in your pocket. Nothing to do with 'noteriety'.
The camera is much improved. You got that part right

What's better about the panoramic camera mode? I upgraded from the 5 to 5S but only because I was finally getting my daughter a phone and I wasn't going to let her have a newer phone then myself. Finally set it up today, and it is faster, but only during certain program loads and animations. I have not been able to test the low-light abilities of the camera but I did try the panoramic setting and it still makes crazy distorted pictures as the 5. I hate the commercials from last year showing a panoramic picture of all of those kids at the party and they are all totally straight with no distortion. Total BS.

The new panoramic mode allows for continuous lighting and brightness/contrast evaluation by the ISP on the fly. It's a much better shot when the exposure is the same across the entire shot. The burst mode helps a LOT with fast motion (I've got an active 8 year old son)--and in low light, no competition. The 5s is the best of the lot. Definitely improved flash if you're in close to your subject in low light

All the way around, in my opinion...it's the best 's' update so far. It's phenomenal and there's a lot developers can do to take advantage of its new found power and capabilities (XCode was also just updated for easy 32-64bit transition). Keep in mind, until now...developers have been programming to the masses, and the A5 processor. A few have taken advantage of the 5s & the A6's extra power, but 64bit processing, the CPU speed and updated GPU and RAM DDR3 update will greatly benefit future app development and enjoyment.

As far as benchmarks....all said, the iPhone 5 (last years model) continues (again, looking at Anand's site) to hold its own even against the current crop of Android flagship phones. The HTC One, the S4, Nex 4 and Note 2. Nothing to lose sleep over as it's still a monster even at a year old. That said, the 5s is truly a break through in SoC technology, speed and efficiency.

These are objective benchmarks. Real numbers. Real performance. Will you notice it playing the new Angry Birds Star Wars 2? No...maybe a few seconds less while launching it. But switching apps and multitasking, animations of the UI and the general overall incredible fluency of use is immediately apparent. The fingerprint scanner after a couple of days is something you get used to and as mentioned earlier...makes it possible to have your phone protected at all times....yet ready to use as soon as you retrieve it from your pocket. As your pulling it out with your thumb on the home button it's good to go! Awesome addition and definitely the opposite of a gimmick or marketing bonus. It's an amazing introduction to consumer biometric security that....actually works as intended

J

Last edited:

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
For those who say the battery life is better on the 5s than the 5 then I would expect this to be the case since it is a brand new battery going through the conditioning process as opposed to batteries on some 5's which may be up to 1 year old by now.

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I wasn't speaking for everyone, as you put it, but I suppose it's okay for certain narcissistics to draw conclusions on generalization ..:rolleyes: I'm glad you could read my mind!

I'd like to hear the *lots* of reasons for getting the 5S while having the 5 !!

Amuse me, and the audience ...

You were speaking for everyone as you stated quite clearly that you have no reason to get the 5s if you have the 5. You didn't mention anyone individually. Oooh. That was a subtle comment. Not the narcissism comeback..oh, no. :rolleyes:

No reason to share since you are baiting, but each person has his/her own reasons whether or not you (who seems to speak for everyone) think it's a good one or not. It's personal which means not open to your judgment.

Go attempt to sound smart and so important somewhere else.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
For those who say the battery life is better on the 5s than the 5 then I would expect this to be the case since it is a brand new battery going through the conditioning process as opposed to batteries on some 5's which may be up to 1 year old by now.

My 5S is better than my 9 month old 5 was.

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
App loading is much faster than the 5. I didn't think that would be noticeable, but I can tell things are popping up/loading much faster.

To me that is worth it.

Battery seems about the same. Camera in low light is much better.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Yes went from a 5. Love the new space gray color. Camera is very fast and the quality is great. TouchID is cool and the overall phone is fast. I can definitely tell it's faster then my 5.

Let the waiting begin for the bigger screen iPhone 6!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.