Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The performance boost unfortunately doesn't happen for everyone. I question whether the increased performance is anything more than a placebo effect. My iPhone 4 and 3rd-gen iPad are notably slower.

Upgraded the iphone4 from my mother and now its ALOT slower than before.
luckily she doesn't notice it.

iphone5 still feels as snappy as before. not sure how the iphone5s could feel any faster.

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
What an ignorant thing to say.

When you're forced to give up 3GB+ of storage for an update you may not even want, that's unacceptable.

You should sue Apple. Or get a bigger phone. Or accept it is for the greater good and update your phone.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
ios71x.jpg

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
If there's one thing Apple does very poorly its patching. Want that new version of Xcode? Sorry bro you gotta download the entire thing again.

Apple's software developers need to go back to 5th grade programming classes and learn the proper way to do patches.

nitrokev

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
The people moaning about the new look remind me of when everyone moans whenever Facebook changes, saying they are going to quit using Facebook cos it has been ruined, months later they are still there.. my point is give it time you'll grow to like it… if not there are other phones out there

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
So why wouldn't you want it?

Bugs, simple as. Some people would rather someone else take the risk with an x.0 version - they'd rather wait for x.0.1. Case in point was the Exchange issues with 6.0 which were a real problem for anyone syncing their device with work email (like me).

And yes, there are plenty of bugs in 7.0, from unintentionally selecting messages to delete in iMessage to strange behaviour when searching in Mail, to some serious contrast issues (white text on a white background on the keyboard, anyone?). That's not to criticise Apple - I'm a software developer and I know that stuff like this happens. They'll get fixed sooner or later.

PS - for someone with a visual impairment, like me - the new interface *does* pose problems. Fortunately, most, though not all, of them are fixable via Accessibility.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I can't help wondering when Apple talk about record-breaking iOS7 adoption rates whether they mean actual installations or just downloads. Hardly surprising the numbers are so high in such a short time if they're forcing it onto people. Even if they're referring to installations, I'm sure there's people who were happy on iOS6 until one of those boxes they always just click "OK" on popped up in the middle of their game of Angry Birds, or who will now be upgrading against their will just to get their 3GB back.

Last edited:

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
What an ignorant thing to say.

When you're forced to give up 3GB+ of storage for an update you may not even want, that's unacceptable.

Who wouldn't want iOS 7? Those people should switch to Android.

----------

Weird, I'm trying to find a way to downgrade mine after music no longer plays on iOS7. I wish it was heaven. I'm sure MP3 players work in heaven.

Music works fine in iOS 7. Restore your device.

MR-LIZARD

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
UK
And if you don't want the update how do get that space back. I'm sure you have already thought about this and can explain to those interested.

But you only need 3GB during the installation. The actual download is approx 750MB. Therefore you haven't lost 3GB; you've lost 750MB.

It even shows this in the screenshot. Top of the screenshot shows 752MB. Bottom part explains that it needs 3.1GB to install. This is just temporary space to unpack, make temp files during install etc.

I agree you've lost space, but not 3GB. If you thought you'd lost 3GB then chances are you weren't 100% sure of what space you had anyway so wouldn't sweat the 750MB. :)

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
They better re-open the signing window again for iOS 6.1.3 so I can downgrade, or I'm gonna bend over Tim, Jony & Craig if he's down and give them all the business. #

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
What's funny is that I came over from the Android camp (last 4 years) over to the Apple camp just to receive timely updates. So many of you people laughed at the fragmentation pie chart Apple loves to throw up and now the same people are crying that Apple is forcing you to have the latest upgrade?
Apple would look like fools if a large number of people wanted to stay on iOS 6. Sorry guys but I don't see Apple turning course here. Either deal with it or leave for Android if you don't like being on the latest OS. Like or not this is how Apple operates.

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
Who wouldn't want iOS 7? Those people should switch to Android.

----------

Music works fine in iOS 7. Restore your device.

While I can't agree with the attitude reflected above (the forced download thing really is a mistake), I can certainly vouch for doing a full, DFU, restore of the device if you have issues (esp. with stock apps) after upgrading. Make sure you do a full back-up first, of course!

In fact, ideally, restore just the OS and set the rest up again fresh (ie re-install apps individually - download or sync music etc). This can be a pain, but if you're device has become increasingly sluggish and prone to issues that others don't seem to have this will usually clear them right out. Well worth it if so.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
An iOS 7 Jailbreak will be most appreciated. I'm getting a bit tired of 5.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I get Apple wanting as many people to upgrade to iOS 7 as possible. And I get it that having iOS 7 download when phones are charging makes it more convenient for people who do want to upgrade.

But it's only been a little over a week since iOS 7 was released. I could see this kind of behavior if it was a few months out. There should be a way to delete the download.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
If there's one thing Apple does very poorly its patching. Want that new version of Xcode? Sorry bro you gotta download the entire thing again.

Apple's software developers need to go back to 5th grade programming classes and learn the proper way to do patches.

iOS patches seem pretty good in this respect 7.0.3 is only 18Mb 7.0.0 was 650Mb because it was not a patch but a totally new version so quite a big difference.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Not until there is a jailbreak so I can fix the horrible UI.
There are some nice improvements but the UI is just not one of them... Flat is not where it's at.

Says the person who doesn't use 7 on a regular basis. Damn I'm beyond sick of the jb crowd. Wish they didn't even use IPhones any more

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
My 4 is fine... i dont get why so many people are bashing ios 7 on it.

it's not top of the line stuff but it works has well has 6 plus looks new.

but then again i guess it's a matter of taste.

For the iPhone 4, iOS7 is horrible. So I would definetly have prefered staying on iOS6.

eloscurosecreto

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
Why the hell are people complaining? OTA updates are nothing new and the process of a major upgrade OTA is nothing new. If this was such an issue, why did these people upgrade or buy a new device when OTA updates first became available on iOS? Sounds like these people need to plan better when a major update is imminent, which they had plenty of notification prior to. SMFH, idiots...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.