Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Report your gyroscope level degrees.

• Votes: 11 6.3%
  • -1°

Votes: 31 17.7%
  • -2°

Votes: 34 19.4%
  • -3°

Votes: 41 23.4%
  • -4°

Votes: 34 19.4%
  • -5°

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • -6°

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • > -6°

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
To gauge how widespread the gyroscope miss-calibration issue, I've started this poll.

Find a known level surface.
Select your Compass app and go through the calibrate exercise.
Swipe left to the level portion of the app.
Lay your iPhone 5s flat on the level surface and report your reading.

Edit: don't tap the level as this will temporarily calibrate to 0°

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Mine is just fine. So when the poll appears, you can mark "not a big deal, people blow everything out of proportion"

EDIT: Yay! First voter

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Mine is just fine. So when the poll appears, you can mark "not a big deal, people blow everything out of proportion"

EDIT: Yay! First voter

awesome response. just because you happen to be in the 1% that don't have a problem there is no problem. try holding your phone at a 6% angle for 5 minutes and let me know what you think.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
Some things just bug the heck out of people.

Lucille, really! If you play driving or flying apps, it's noticeable. If you use an app that depends on the gyroscope such as Star Walk, it's noticeable. If you use your iPhone as a level around the house or on your job, it's very noticeable. For those with -5° or -6°, it sucks...not just OCD. If it doesn't affect the way your use your iPhone, fine, move along please.

A large percentage of the 5s's on the Apple showroom have a -2° to -6° variance. We would like a fix for this since an exchange is a crapshoot.

The intent of the poll is to get a more precise idea of how many iPhone 5s's have this issue...not to rag on people because it's not an issue you care about.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
It is a real problem.

Every time I read the -2 on the compass app I have to hold on to my desk and slowly slide off my desk chair.

It's horrible. I can't sleep anymore because I fell out of my bed.
I can only have sex lying on my back, my wife looks tilted now
I can only look at her from certain angles.

I'd look for professional help but no one I talked to understood the gravity of my problem.

My heart goes out to the people in Australia (or was it Austria?) who have to endure so much more pain.

I'd like to go back to the times where we all lived happily on a disc.

Apple should really change the world, not just a simple electronic gadget.

PLEASE Tim Cook apply that flat design to our daily lives so we can be happy again.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
It is a real problem.

Every time I read the -2 on the compass app I have to hold on to my desk and slowly slide off my desk chair.

It's horrible. I can't sleep anymore because I fell out of my bed.
I can only have sex lying on my back, my wife looks tilted now
I can only look at her from certain angles.

I'd look for professional help but no one I talked to understood the gravity of my problem.

My heart goes out to the people in Australia (or was it Austria?) who have to endure so much more pain.

I'd like to go back to the times where we all lived happily on a disc.

Apple should really change the world, not just a simple electronic gadget.

PLEASE Tim Cook apply that flat design to our daily lives so we can be happy again.

Funny :rolleyes:

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
It may not bother you, but for those that are avid gamers, or use other apps that it has an effect on, this can cause problems, thus they have a right to be upset and worried about it.

Many of us do way more with out phones than just make phones calls and text!

EricByer

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
Lucille, really! If you play driving or flying apps, it's noticeable. If you use an app that depends on the gyroscope such as Star Walk, it's noticeable. If you use your iPhone as a level around the house or on your job, it's very noticeable. For those with -5° or -6°, it sucks...not just OCD. If it doesn't affect the way your use your iPhone, fine, move along please.

A large percentage of the 5s's on the Apple showroom have a -2° to -6° variance. We would like a fix for this since an exchange is a crapshoot.

The intent of the poll is to get a more precise idea of how many iPhone 5s's have this issue...not to rag on people because it's not an issue you care about.

If one is using an iPhone as a level to complete their professional duties, please let me know as I'd hate to buy or use anything made by that person.

If one needs an accurate level that badly, then one ought to be using a professional-grade level. Not some smartphone. In my opinion that would border on irresponsibility and/ or negligence.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
If one is using an iPhone as a level to complete their professional duties, please let me know as I'd hate to buy or use anything made by that person.

If one needs an accurate level that badly, then one ought to be using a professional-grade level. Not some smartphone. In my opinion that would border on irresponsibility and/ or negligence.

Damn right, you have no right to ask Apple to own up to a "hardware" fault. You should be grateful the gods at Apple made a $700 phone and decided to share it with you, even though they showed off how amazing and important the new M7 chip is.

Get a life losers, let us true Apple fans live in peace here in the macrumors forum. If you have issues, go to some other loser android forum and share your pain - you have your "choice."

EricByer

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
Damn right, you have no right to ask Apple to own up to a "hardware" fault. You should be grateful the gods at Apple made a $700 phone and decided to share it with you, even though they showed off how amazing and important the new M7 chip is.

Get a life losers, let us true Apple fans live in peace here in the macrumors forum. If you have issues, go to some other loser android forum and share your pain - you have your "choice."

Need some help getting those panties untwisted, sweetheart?

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Remember this is for the 5S's not the 5's.

Some people are missing the point. It worked fine on the previous models and some people use it. 1 degree should be tolerable but more then that in games and cars, planes drift to the left or right. It's not new technology. My sister didn't even know her iphone had a gyro etc and she doesn't care because all she does is update her status and text her bf. If you don't use this technology then you have no right to slam us that do. I paid 850 for my device and I expect it to work at least the same technology in it should not be a downgrade from the last models. It's pretty clear there is some sort of calibration issue with the 5S's and Apple engineers say they are working on a software update.

Last edited:

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
God, just checked my 5c. It says 1• when level!!!!this POS will b going back tommorrow. I never have or ever will use this feature but because I read it on macrumors......

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
God, just checked my 5c. It says 1• when level!!!!this POS will b going back tommorrow. I never have or ever will use this feature but because I read it on macrumors......

You know this is a 5s thread? You have an iPhone 5 with a candy coating. ;)

Last edited:

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
It may not bother you, but for those that are avid gamers, or use other apps that it has an effect on, this can cause problems, thus they have a right to be upset and worried about it.

Many of us do way more with out phones than just make phones calls and text!

We all know it is a concern. The problem is that most if not all 5S units have this problem. I am sure that Apple is looking at it and coming up with a fix.

In the mean time try to relax and remain calm. If you can't, go to the Apple store and trade for another unit that has the same problem. :eek:

Give Apple a few weeks to come up with something. In the mean time try to concentrate on real problems like our economy and health care:p

----------

Some people act so stupid and THAT bugs the heck out of me.

This is a real problem, unless of course your 12 and just text your BFF with your phone.

You should not call yourself stupid. It will give you a complex. ;)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
We all know it is a concern. The problem is that most if not all 5S units have this problem. I am sure that Apple is looking at it and coming up with a fix.

In the mean time try to relax and remain calm. If you can't, go to the Apple store and trade for another unit that has the same problem. :eek:

Give Apple a few weeks to come up with something. In the mean time try to concentrate on real problems like our economy and health care:p

----------

You should not call yourself stupid. It will give you a complex. ;)

I have no idea why you got the idea that I wasn't calm! I was just explaining to others why it is a concern. So odd!

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Since when did Apple become the company for those with low standards?

I always thought Apple was about doing things properly. I seem to remember them talking about precisely machining the iPhone 5 glass insets down to the micron to fit each individual unit.

This isn't Samsung we're talking about, here. If they sell a compass, it should work.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Try taking a panoramic picture. They come out like crap because of this. I assume it is because of this unless its something with IOS 7. Try it and report back. Thanks

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I'm getting around -2.3 off with my 5s, my 5 is 0.0

See attached: Slate iPhone 5 64gb AT&T left, Space Gray iPhone 5s 64gb AT&T Right

Attachments

• 2013-09-28 23.50.35.jpg
    2013-09-28 23.50.35.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 163

rawr01

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Has anyone been able to get their iPhone 5S' replaced with one that is working properly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.