Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I have a close friend that lives in western Canada. She is a freshman at University. Taking a course in C++.

Very frustrated with an assignment. The professor apparently not much help, accent. It reminds me of when I took Chemistry.

Your help would be appreciated. Do you know of any good forums where she could seek assistance. Thank you.

She is on a PC.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I've seen quite a few programming questions get sorted out here on macrumors, actually.

I don't know any C++ forums, but I'm sure they exist.

prophet621

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2005
Newsgroups are an option. I get some C help there every so often. There are typically TONs of people around the world on newgroups. I can't remember the exact group as I'm not on my computer at home to look at my groups but I think it's:

comp.lang.c++

Any decent Usenet reader (I use Forte Agent) will work and practically every ISP has access to newsgroups available, you can do a search of 'C++' and it will show you the groups with that in it.

Microsoft also has a few groups for VC++.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, for an introduction course it should be possible to get help here at these forums. Shouldn't it...?

I've briefly worked as a teacher in C++ at Bergen University College, and even if I'm a bit rusty I'll try to help if I see any well formulated questions in well titled threads, ant there are lots of people much more experienced than me, when it comes to C++ programming, right here at MR.

Most of those 101 courses in C++ are about the same no matter what OS you use, Windows, Linux, Mac OS X or another *nix. There's a number of basic C/C++ threads here already and I'm sure she can get all the help she needs (even Windows specific problems ;)). :)

I always recommend C/C++ Programmer's Reference for all that want to start programming in C/C++ (just did so a couple of days ago in this thread).

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Yes I sent her teh information from, Looking for a C reference (cheatsheet) also. Thanks for all the help so far, appeciated. ;)

C

CarlosC

iDevApps.com has a bit over 200 programmers now in its forum, so give it a try. They also have an IRC channel (idevapps) on freenode.net. You might also want to sign up for one of Apple's mailing lists (see their dev's page)

Regards,

Carlos

http://www.idevapps.com
http://www.idevgames.com

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Apparently so many people get very frustrated with programming in their first course. When I took the first C++ course, there was a 90% failure rate! :eek: (Don't ask me which university, you really don't want to know :eek: :() Although I was glad I passed with an A+ :D

This book is pretty good, it has tons of examples and exercises, and covers all the basics and some semi-advanced topics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.