Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
Hi,
I'm currently using the Adonit Jot Flip for taking notes on noteshelf and penultimate. I also draw from time to time but that is definitely not the main objective. I want a bluetooth stylus so it won't register my hand to have a much more natural experience with note taking and very minor drawing.
I need suggestions on whether I should buy the Jot Touch or pre order the Jot Script...

-Shahrez

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Jot touch is primarily all about pressure sensitivity. Most apps that support the pressure don't also support the palm rejection. Such as Sketchbook, Procreate, etc.

Jot Script isn't out yet and seems to be using new technology. No one is sure how it's going to work. It may be awesome...it may suck.

Just because it's a bluetooth device - doesn't mean it will ignore palm rejection. It's really up the app and how they support it. Not sure about note taking apps - but for drawing apps a lot of them are gesture based (Paper, Sketchbook, Procreate) and all of those don't support palm rejection with their bluetooth styluses.

If Palm Rejection is important to you - check out maybe Noteshelf? They have a good visual palm rejection that is 'smart' and automatically scrolls down. I know UPad has a pretty good palm rejection as well.

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
Yes, my favourite app is Noteshelf but software based palm rejection has its limitations. The Jot touch also enables hardware based palm rejection. As in the app wouldn't recognize any touch other than the stylus as long as the stylus has been paired with the iPad. I believe the Jot Script would have similar rejection features but what I fail to understand here is the difference between the two stylii. Because as of now, the only difference I see is the design and the plastic disk on the tip of the jot touch. What I do not understand is how the jot script will be 'better at note taking' than the jot touch.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I have a Jot Touch that I use for drawing (Procreate). While I love it (my favorite stylus ever) for the pressure sensitivity - the palm rejection stuff is totally hit and miss.

It has to be enabled by the app that supports it. The fact is most apps don't support it. This isn't only a problem with Jot Touch though. If you look at all the current Bluetooth Styluses - Pogo Connect, Wacom Intous Creative, Adonit Jot Touch - all of them promise palm rejection. Then you dive into the apps that support them and 90% of them don't support palm rejection.

I already purchased an Adonit Script and I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs.

If you are looking to spend $100 on a stylus based on palm rejection - the current market is not a good idea. Maybe Adonit Script will solve it? Could be. Even if it does - so far the only app announced that supports it is Penultimate. Which you may or may not like.

Have you tried the Wacom Bamboo Paper app? It's a free app that has really good software palm rejection IMO.

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
Here. I know for a fact that noteshelf supports the pressure sensitivity and palm rejection features. But I need to know how you guys think the script will be better than just using the jot touch for note taking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 227

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I'm an Adonit fan and if I was to purchase a new stylus we'd be in the same boat. I'm going to wait until the Script comes out, it looks like it has promise but who knows.
If you can't wait, I know for a fact that the Touch is fabulous but the apps that use all of it's capability are limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.