Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zmagik

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
This happen to me on my iPod touch 4th generation and now I have a iPhone 5 (luckily) it's probably cos if your in a hot environment coz this happens right infront of me

MaddieBrad

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
New York City
Fact:
Single hairline cracks are covered. If the crack stems from a chip it is not covered. If the crack branches to another crack then it is not covered. A single solitary hairline crack with no impact damage is covered due to tolerances in the bezel that holds the glass, and the effects of temperature on the glass.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Wow I know I started this thread a while ago, but I just read all the new posts and I actually cannot believe that people here are so willing to bash and blame others who are trying to seek advice on this forum.

For all those of you that accused me of lying - sure, there's no way to absolutely prove you're right or I am, and it honestly doesn't matter to me what you think because you're not the ones that generously replaced my iPhone. The genius that helped me didn't just look at me for being a female or glanced over the crack on my phone and decide on the spot that he would replace it. He used a magnifying glass and carefully looked over my phone and the crack, and consulted other people before they came to the same conclusion that I did - which was there was no sign of a drop whatsoever, and it was a hairline fracture that couldn't be explained. So that's why they decided to replace it. The truth about these things is that no one can ever know the whole truth, no one knows what the phone went through during manufacturing, during shipping, stocking, handling, selling, then ultimately ending up with its owner. So yeah, maybe in the world of "absolute truth", I somewhere along the way did contribute to the fracture in ways that I didn't even know. And if I had dropped it, threw it against a wall, hit it with something, sat on it, set it on fire, or whatever ridiculous scenarios you can come up with, then yeah I would completely be at fault because the iPhone isn't meant to withstand those conditions. I know I did not do any of the above to my phone, and Apple agrees with me because THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE pointing towards those things, while all those happening would result in some form of physical evidence of my mistreatment of the phone besides the "mysterious fracture". But at the end of the day, no one can lay out the history of the phone and add up how much I am at fault, how much Foxconn is at fault, how much Apple is at fault, and how much all the environmental factors are at fault, and that's why Apple decided to take the blame and replaced my phone. After all, we are the customers that paid for a product that we expect to work under normal circumstances, and our expectations are even higher due to the reputation of Apple's quality.

If you don't want to believe that they did, that's fine because at this point I really don't care. I just wish you would stop accusing others who are looking for solutions on here of lying as well. Because what you're saying is that in the 73 million+ iPhones that sold, NOT ONE OF THEM can have a manufacturing defect in the glass that can create a hairline fracture under 73 million+ different circumstances/environments, without the intentional/accidental interference of a human.

For those of you who have a cracked iPhone screen, my advice is just to set up an appointment with Apple and see what they can/are willing to do, and don't let these people discourage you. **** happens, and things do break, accidentally or not, whether your fault or not, whether the reason is known or unknown. I'm just thankful that Apple isn't like these cynical people here who are willing to scrutinize what kind of pants you wear, how much pressure you put on your phone daily, or your sentence structure to see if you're really lying to get a free new phone or not.

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Wow I know I started this thread a while ago, but I just read all the new posts and I actually cannot believe that people here are so willing to bash and blame others who are trying to seek advice on this forum.

For all those of you that accused me of lying - sure, there's no way to absolutely prove you're right or I am, and it honestly doesn't matter to me what you think because you're not the ones that generously replaced my iPhone. The genius that helped me didn't just look at me for being a female or glanced over the crack on my phone and decide on the spot that he would replace it. He used a magnifying glass and carefully looked over my phone and the crack, and consulted other people before they came to the same conclusion that I did - which was there was no sign of a drop whatsoever, and it was a hairline fracture that couldn't be explained. So that's why they decided to replace it. The truth about these things is that no one can ever know the whole truth, no one knows what the phone went through during manufacturing, during shipping, stocking, handling, selling, then ultimately ending up with its owner. So yeah, maybe in the world of "absolute truth", I somewhere along the way did contribute to the fracture in ways that I didn't even know. And if I had dropped it, threw it against a wall, hit it with something, sat on it, set it on fire, or whatever ridiculous scenarios you can come up with, then yeah I would completely be at fault because the iPhone isn't meant to withstand those conditions. I know I did not do any of the above to my phone, and Apple agrees with me because THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE pointing towards those things, while all those happening would result in some form of physical evidence of my mistreatment of the phone besides the "mysterious fracture". But at the end of the day, no one can lay out the history of the phone and add up how much I am at fault, how much Foxconn is at fault, how much Apple is at fault, and how much all the environmental factors are at fault, and that's why Apple decided to take the blame and replaced my phone. After all, we are the customers that paid for a product that we expect to work under normal circumstances, and our expectations are even higher due to the reputation of Apple's quality.

If you don't want to believe that they did, that's fine because at this point I really don't care. I just wish you would stop accusing others who are looking for solutions on here of lying as well. Because what you're saying is that in the 73 million+ iPhones that sold, NOT ONE OF THEM can have a manufacturing defect in the glass that can create a hairline fracture under 73 million+ different circumstances/environments, without the intentional/accidental interference of a human.

For those of you who have a cracked iPhone screen, my advice is just to set up an appointment with Apple and see what they can/are willing to do, and don't let these people discourage you. **** happens, and things do break, accidentally or not, whether your fault or not, whether the reason is known or unknown. I'm just thankful that Apple isn't like these cynical people here who are willing to scrutinize what kind of pants you wear, how much pressure you put on your phone daily, or your sentence structure to see if you're really lying to get a free new phone or not.

The ignorant on here will first accuse you of being a troll, then they will claim you lie. It makes them feel better about their piddly existence. Pay them no mind.

Augustbabies

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
I have an IPhone 5, white in color. Today I went for a ride in the car and my iPhone cracked on its own sitting on the center console cubby area. The car was hot when I got in and I turned on the ac right away so I'd gone from ac in house to hot car to cooled car rather quickly but it was only about 90 degrees in the car from 72 in the house. I checked out some movie showtimes (I wasn't the one driving), set the phone down face up on the rubber grippy place in the middle of my car and left it for no more than a few minutes. I didn't hear any noise but when I picked up the phone the entire screen had many long spiral shaped cracks running from the top sensor area down to the bottom third of the screen. It was shocking. I made an appointment at a Genius Bar over an hour away. At first the genius didn't believe me and wouldn't make eye contact. She said it wouldn't be covered by warranty and said "here is where the point of impact was..." I interrupted her and said "there was no point of impact" she said I could talk to a manager, I said "ok, great." The manager listened to me tell the whole thing again and asked if I had maybe struck the face when I put it down. I said "no, I didn't even set it down that way, but face up." My husband who witnessed the whole thing told the guy what had happened too. The manager asked if the car had been hot and I told him yes but that we'd cooled it off quickly and my husband chimed in that it had been 30 minutes after we'd started driving that the cracks happened. The manager then told me that unfortunately he couldn't process it under the warranty but that he would replace the glass and not charge me. I agreed and 40 minutes later I was on my way phone looking good as new. The only other thing worth mentioning is that I had a custom "uncommon" brand clear case on the phone that fit rather tightly. I am worried that the case caused too much pressure so I replaced it with a different one that is snug but not tight. I wonder if this happens more than apple likes to admit and that's why they processed it without a warranty paper trail. Anyway, I thought I'd add my story to encourage anyone with the same problem to visit the Genius Bar and talk to a manager.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
I have an IPhone 5, white in color. Today I went for a ride in the car and my iPhone cracked on its own sitting on the center console cubby area. The car was hot when I got in and I turned on the ac right away so I'd gone from ac in house to hot car to cooled car rather quickly but it was only about 90 degrees in the car from 72 in the house. I checked out some movie showtimes (I wasn't the one driving), set the phone down face up on the rubber grippy place in the middle of my car and left it for no more than a few minutes. I didn't hear any noise but when I picked up the phone the entire screen had many long spiral shaped cracks running from the top sensor area down to the bottom third of the screen. It was shocking. I made an appointment at a Genius Bar over an hour away. At first the genius didn't believe me and wouldn't make eye contact. She said it wouldn't be covered by warranty and said "here is where the point of impact was..." I interrupted her and said "there was no point of impact" she said I could talk to a manager, I said "ok, great." The manager listened to me tell the whole thing again and asked if I had maybe struck the face when I put it down. I said "no, I didn't even set it down that way, but face up." My husband who witnessed the whole thing told the guy what had happened too. The manager asked if the car had been hot and I told him yes but that we'd cooled it off quickly and my husband chimed in that it had been 30 minutes after we'd started driving that the cracks happened. The manager then told me that unfortunately he couldn't process it under the warranty but that he would replace the glass and not charge me. I agreed and 40 minutes later I was on my way phone looking good as new. The only other thing worth mentioning is that I had a custom "uncommon" brand clear case on the phone that fit rather tightly. I am worried that the case caused too much pressure so I replaced it with a different one that is snug but not tight. I wonder if this happens more than apple likes to admit and that's why they processed it without a warranty paper trail. Anyway, I thought I'd add my story to encourage anyone with the same problem to visit the Genius Bar and talk to a manager.

That sounds strange, I don't think I've seen spiral shaped cracks on iPhones yet, do you have pictures? But I'm glad they were able to help you and fix your phone! And I don't think it's that they're trying to avoid a paper trail, Apple I think generally has more trust in their customers.

Capsfan

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2013
Yes a screen can crack by itself and I wouldn't have never believed it either if I hadn't see it with my own eyes. This morning I got up and grabbed my iPhone 5 and my cigarettes and went outside and was reading the news when I felt and heard a pop and saw it crack and was doing nothing but holding the phone in my hand. It cracked diagonally at the top left corner from top to side. The best reason I can come up with is their must have been a flaw in the glass and the change in temp caused this to happen. To answer no this phone was bought on Thursday and cracked of Sunday and was never dropped. I set up an appt at Apple today to get it looked at I'll post the outcome later today.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Yes a screen can crack by itself and I wouldn't have never believed it either if I hadn't see it with my own eyes. This morning I got up and grabbed my iPhone 5 and my cigarettes and went outside and was reading the news when I felt and heard a pop and saw it crack and was doing nothing but holding the phone in my hand. It cracked diagonally at the top left corner from top to side. The best reason I can come up with is their must have been a flaw in the glass and the change in temp caused this to happen. To answer no this phone was bought on Thursday and cracked of Sunday and was never dropped. I set up an appt at Apple today to get it looked at I'll post the outcome later today.

Hope you have applecare +

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
There's a crack about half an inch in size on the lower left corner of my iPhone 5. I didn't drop it because the bezel and the chamfered edge around there are absolutely perfect, not even a scratch or nick. And there's no way that i could have dropped it without damaging the bezel or the chamfered edge or the side/corner of the phone. I called apple care and they said it's not in the warranty because it's considered accidental damage. But if it was not my fault that it cracked, why do I have to pay like 200 dollars to get it fixed?? I have a Genius Bar appointment but not sure what they will say.

Anyone have any suggestions or past experiences with this sort of thing? Do you think I can get a replacement or screen replacement?

Could you have placed an undue amount of stress on bending the phone. There are reports of the phone being bent when placed in back pocket of pants and then accidentally sat on. The aluminum construction can bend with enough pressure which may cause the screen to crack without having to drop it.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Well I just found this thread, and I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I am really sorry people are so rude on this site. I have seen so many threads were people get jumped on other user because they say the Apple product could never be messed up on its own. I really believe and have seen weirder things happen. Sorry you had to deal with these jerks, and I am glad Apple was able to help you. I have had both good and bad experiences with going to the Apple store. It all depends on the person you get when you get there. Both times though they could not careless who I was, and were working on someone else's device at the same time. They were not really listening to what I was saying, but I got a replacement ipad so it worked out.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Could you have placed an undue amount of stress on bending the phone. There are reports of the phone being bent when placed in back pocket of pants and then accidentally sat on. The aluminum construction can bend with enough pressure which may cause the screen to crack without having to drop it.

No, my phone was not bent or hurt in any other way, just a crack from the left bottom corner. But it's okay, the genius that helped me looked it over under a scope and everything and determined that it was just a hairline fracture and I got it replace :p

Well I just found this thread, and I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I am really sorry people are so rude on this site. I have seen so many threads were people get jumped on other user because they say the Apple product could never be messed up on its own. I really believe and have seen weirder things happen. Sorry you had to deal with these jerks, and I am glad Apple was able to help you. I have had both good and bad experiences with going to the Apple store. It all depends on the person you get when you get there. Both times though they could not careless who I was, and were working on someone else's device at the same time. They were not really listening to what I was saying, but I got a replacement ipad so it worked out.

Yeah totally! But I realized it doesn't matter what these negative people say anyways because they aren't the ones that can replace our phones :p. Thank god Apple is very understanding and knows that unexpected things can happen, and they are very forgiving as well at times. So I'm glad we both had very positive experiences with Apple Customer care. In the long run, it will help the company anyways because they will have a lot of happy customers, and I am one of them!

jonasty

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
sorry, don't mean to bump an old thread, but just wanted to post my experience. my iPhone 5 screen also cracked, and yes, on its own. and no, I'm not a troll and no, I didn't drop it or impact it in any way.

Thursday night I went to bed scrolling through photos and Instagram, screen was perfectly fine. Put my phone on my nightstand before I fell asleep. Woke up to my alarm to notice a singular crack across my phone. I immediately made a Genius Bar appointment while also googling "iPhone 5 screen cracked without dropping" which brought me to this thread. I noticed that I wasn't the only one.

Last night was my Genius Bar appointment, and I explained to them this story clearly and honestly while making 100% eye contact with anyone who was helping me. They did not doubt be, but the Genius took it to the back to inspect it with a magnifying glass. He came back minutes later saying there was no point of impact at all and, although rare, these glass screens can crack on their own. He said he's seen it maybe one other time, so definitely not common. But they replaced my screen in 30 minutes and I was on my way.

Good luck to those who really have this issue, not all of us are liars.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Apple's Internal iPhone Visual Mechanical Inspect Guide

47568-iphone_5_policy.jpg

bbcakesx

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
omg this just happened to me right now. I pulled my phone out of my butt pocket and started scrolling through Instagram. 5 minutes later there was a popping sound and a ****ing hair line crack that goes through the center of my phone from top too bottom appeared out of nowhere

tbycl

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2016
I don't know why people are calling you a liar saying there's no possible way. I woke up this morning to a cracked screen on my galaxy s4, I played on my phone in bed last night playing some games I would've noticed a cracked screen I put my phone on charge went to sleep and woke up and went to check my texts and my phones screen is cracked pretty bad. Nobody uses my phone or has access to it at night when I'm a sleep so it's really odd.

XAsh1X

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
There's a crack about half an inch in size on the lower left corner of my iPhone 5. I didn't drop it because the bezel and the chamfered edge around there are absolutely perfect, not even a scratch or nick. And there's no way that i could have dropped it without damaging the bezel or the chamfered edge or the side/corner of the phone. I called apple care and they said it's not in the warranty because it's considered accidental damage. But if it was not my fault that it cracked, why do I have to pay like 200 dollars to get it fixed?? I have a Genius Bar appointment but not sure what they will say.

Anyone have any suggestions or past experiences with this sort of thing? Do you think I can get a replacement or screen replacement?
Mine cracked on its own too it's not just one crack it's multiple cracks I have a iPhone 5c

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I wonder if the phone has ever been placed in a extremely tight fitting case and removed? I bought a Speck Clear Candy shell case for my 5s and it was fairly difficult to put on the phone. Several days later I decided that I just wasn't real happy with it and proceeded to try to remove it. It was like the case had actually shrunk after I put it on and it was a real struggle to get the case back off. When I finally got one corner to break loose from the phone, it made a real loud snapping noise and I was certain that I had broken my phone. It wound up that I didn't, but I can certainly see where it would be possible to do so, especially if it was a phone design that was less sturdy than that of a 5s, like maybe a 6 or 6 plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.