Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slug420

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
just a shot in the dark here but...does OSX maintain any sort of clipboard history (similar to what Microsoft Word offers)?

Basically I copied something to clipboard and pasted it, then copied something else and pasted it but I am wondering if there is any way to retrieve the first item I copied to clipboard?

Thanks

slug420

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Thanks. I would need ot have had those installed in advance to make use of this history correct?

in my case I am trying to retrieve data I already "lost"....I am out of luck right?

mac2mac

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
UK
Don't know how to recover anything that you have lost already from the clipboard. Doubt you will be able to recover anything but i would install those apps so it doesn't happen again :cool:

slug420

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2007
roger that :)

maybe a hex editor to look through memory....5 gigs of RAM...that would be fun.

Switz213

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Get QuickSilver.

Its a great app to begin with. Comes with a window with your clipboard history. You can even drag it to the side of a window and it will hide there, similar to the dock.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Get QuickSilver.

Its a great app to begin with. Comes with a window with your clipboard history. You can even drag it to the side of a window and it will hide there, similar to the dock.

+1 to Quicksilver. Just do not set the clipboard to remember more than 50 entries. If I go more than 50 entries, varies depending on how big the entry that I am copying is, it tends to slow Quicksilver way down, which can slow other things down.

andyosira

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
just a shot in the dark here but...does OSX maintain any sort of clipboard history (similar to what Microsoft Word offers)?

Basically I copied something to clipboard and pasted it, then copied something else and pasted it but I am wondering if there is any way to retrieve the first item I copied to clipboard?

Thanks

there is a simple way to do all this - using Mail in leopard or snow, if you are writing any text into an email, then all along the app is backing it up - to find that clipboard bit you dropped three cut and pastes ago just dig through the trashes (there will be hundreds of versions of the email as it saves every minute or so) or just search for one or two of the words you know will be within the text - works like a dream ....
furthermore assuming you have that particular account set to not delete mail in trash until a month has past you can go back a long long way !! - make it IMAP and the same will be true on your mail servers too ...
so in the unlikely event that it was a well thought out email you trashed the other day, GET DIGGIN in that trash bin - good luck !

cgrendy3

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Wow, thanks for reviving a year old thread ;)

*** OKay... now it's an even OLDER thread... but, I have the same question. ***

OOPS... I 'copied' over a previous 'copy' of necessary info I left on my clipboard... any hope I can retreive that older info? Has the Mac OS changed in the past, uh, three years? :p

I have a MacBook Pro--late 2009--still running Leopard (OS 10.5.8) and I never thought to add an app that could keep track of my clipboard history (duh) until I found this thread...

I'm assuming I'm scr:(wed, but, doesn't hurt to ask, eh? AND, I WILL add a clipboard history app after today--any new suggestions?

Thanks all!! Cindy

EKV

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Recover Mail clipboard history

Can you tell me where I go to look at the clipboard history in Mail. I cut content of an email, pasted it to a document in Pages, changed my mind closed the doc without saving went back to my email went to past it back and oooppps I had placed something else on the clipboard - my message content is GONE ..If what you say here works - I will be elated - just don't know where to go to look at all the email saves or clipboard history.. Please help

there is a simple way to do all this - using Mail in leopard or snow, if you are writing any text into an email, then all along the app is backing it up - to find that clipboard bit you dropped three cut and pastes ago just dig through the trashes (there will be hundreds of versions of the email as it saves every minute or so) or just search for one or two of the words you know will be within the text - works like a dream ....
furthermore assuming you have that particular account set to not delete mail in trash until a month has past you can go back a long long way !! - make it IMAP and the same will be true on your mail servers too ...
so in the unlikely event that it was a well thought out email you trashed the other day, GET DIGGIN in that trash bin - good luck !

Hello little

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Hi Slug420, I see you've posted a bit about retrieving past clipboard entries. I f###d up and some how lost some things 4/5 &4/6 that I had copied briefly to my clipboard to paste into word for word count info. Can I see those clips? I have done little cutting and pasting since then. See Clyppan, jump cut, ClipMenu & inventive.us/cliplite, but cannot tell if they can access history prior to installation or only going forward. Any thoughts you have would be most helpful. Am running OXS Lion. Best, elizabeth.@earthlink.net thank you

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Hi Slug420, I see you've posted a bit about retrieving past clipboard entries. I f###d up and some how lost some things 4/5 &4/6 that I had copied briefly to my clipboard to paste into word for word count info. Can I see those clips? I have done little cutting and pasting since then. See Clyppan, jump cut, ClipMenu & inventive.us/cliplite, but cannot tell if they can access history prior to installation or only going forward. Any thoughts you have would be most helpful. Am running OXS Lion. Best, elizabeth.@earthlink.net thank you

None of the applications like clyppan can retrieve anything from the clipboard prior to installation. OSx does not keep a clipboard history.

toadc69

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Twin Peaks
In the same boat myself

Web forms are a B*tch! I was writing a recommendation and had it copied to clipboard, but neglected to paste it somewhere. The copied a single word and " Oh no!"

I usually would paste into the very handy and free app "Notational Velocity"
this has replaced "stickies"as a note place holder , text organizer. It allows password protection of my notes, plus syncing w/ my phone and a place to locally save text I often copy/paste around.

But this time, I neglected to follow my own advice and must face the painful results!

great thread, btw!

gayle28607

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2005
I use Notational Velocity, and just did the same stupid thing - copied one word over my clipboard copy of a long webform text.

Still no way to access clipboard history without an app installed?

If so, what app should I install in 2013? I read the recommendations from years ago... :eek:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I use Notational Velocity, and just did the same stupid thing - copied one word over my clipboard copy of a long webform text.

Still no way to access clipboard history without an app installed?

If so, what app should I install in 2013? I read the recommendations from years ago... :eek:

there is no way to access clipboard history without an app previously installed and active.

rose2020

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
Jumpcut does show the clipboard history before installation.

As far as i experienced, Jumpcut does show the clipboard history before installation.

mikelliott

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
I like CutPastePro, but what can I use on my Win 7 laptop. Don't use it much because it's not a Mac, but comes in handy every so often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.