Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Parallax is like a 10% cashmere sweater. You might notice it if you're super sensitive and it sounds good on paper, but it's ultimately useless and unnecessary. It's just a gimmicky way to get the word cashmere on the label. For Apple, it's a gimmicky way to tout an extra feature.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Turned it off on my iPhone to preserve battery life. I love it on my iPad.
I am prone to vertigo and headaches but no problem whatsoever due to parallax ...

cristovao

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2010
Calgary
I kept it on for a while but I have some custom walls that line up with iOS elements that it messes with so I ended up turning it off.

I know I'm beating a dead horse but I REALLY wish we could see some user created dynamic walls!

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I don't mind it - but I have a question after reading some posts here. How on earth does parallax affect battery life? Serious question. I don't understand how it can have any impact at all. Can someone enlighten me?

cristovao

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2010
Calgary
I don't mind it - but I have a question after reading some posts here. How on earth does parallax affect battery life? Serious question. I don't understand how it can have any impact at all. Can someone enlighten me?

Increased usage of the graphics processor.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The amount of battery drain from the feature is so minimal. It may takes 3 minutes off your battery a day. Telling people to turn it off to save battery life is a joke. Turning it off because it's useless is valid.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
The amount of battery drain from the feature is so minimal. It may takes 3 minutes off your battery a day. Telling people to turn it off to save battery life is a joke. Turning it off because it's useless is valid.

Just asking but how do you know how much battery it uses? I would love to use it but shut it off because of the battery drain rumors.

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
I like it
About as much as a sprig of parsley on a plate of food

Wouldn't miss it if wasn't there but just a tiny bit of nice when when it is

If your lock screen/wall paper is kinda busy pattern it is much more noticeable

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I am curious who actually keeps it enabled and why.
Why? If you don't see the point then turn it off. I leave it on because I don't see the point in turning it off. It's not the most important feature in IOS 7 to me but I don't dislike it either.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I have it on because its a new feature and I feel like I should lol. I do get the occasional issue when I leave an app or open the phone the icons or background snap a few mm into place(not sure how to describe it) that many other are having.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I have it on because its a new feature and I feel like I should lol. I do get the occasional issue when I leave an app or open the phone the icons or background snap a few mm into place(not sure how to describe it) that many other are having.

Having this issue as well. If all solved, I may try to turn it on again if no noticable impact to battery life

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I immediately turned it off. I like to run my phone slim: only running that which is necessary. Most location services, fetch, background app refresh, GPS and mapping, all turned off. No 3d or moving wallpapers. Airdrop off. Result: amazing battery life, still figuring out how many days I can go with normal use (phone, email, messaging, calendar, web).

Suspended
May 3, 2011
It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick. It's used heavily about the "depth of iOS7" As people have said, how long do you spend on your home screen, how long do you sit there moving your phone/ipad about to really notice it, and it's a totally useless "feature"

This sort of thing happens when you get the marketing department involved with the design process.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I finally turned it off yesterday for no other reason than it seems pointless and doesn't do anything useful for me. I would turn off some of the new transitions too if I could. All they seem to do is introduce a small but unnecessary delay.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
It was tuned on as the default and I did not even notice the "effect" untill after a few days of using it. Unless I really look and know I would never even notice.

And this is making people dizzy? LOL!:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.