Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I've read it will have a 2700 mAh battery. We'll see what the official size is soon enough. I can't imagine them only going with a 2300 size.

2300 was confirmed a month ago in the FCC details. Not sure where you've seen 2700...I've yet to see that anywhere. But hey, I hope you're right...the bigger the better.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
I've read it will have a 2700 mAh battery. We'll see what the official size is soon enough. I can't imagine them only going with a 2300 size.

Sounds too good to be true considering it's a Nexus.

I think the two downsides will be storage (no more than 16GB) and battery (I think it will be 2300).

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.

I think the two downsides will be storage (no more than 16GB) and battery (I think it will be 2300).

I don't know. I can't imagine Google will go with the 8 and 16gb sizes again. It seems we're slowly making our way to 32gb being the base storage model (HTC One, G2, Note 3, G Pro), so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nexus go to 16 and 32gb. I don't think 32gb will be the base storage option, but as long as they offer the option, I'll be happy. Frankly, 16gb works fine for me as well, but I understand others wanting more storage space.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Why can't they just put the same 3000mah battery in it as the G2.. C'mon Google!

If the FCC filings end up being the Nexus 5 (and it's looking very likely they will), it means that Google is designing the Nexus 5 to be smaller in overall size than the Nexus 4 without compromising the 5" screen (edge to edge). If this is the reason the battery is so small (due to the lack in room for a larger battery), I think this will be acceptable if they can manage to still make the device last a full day. Hopefully they accomplish this via software.

I don't mind the device not being as large as say the Xperia Z1 or the LG G2 or even the HTC One.

Of course, that's if they can promise good battery life.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

It would be a huge mistake if they had the max at 16GB. If they do, I'm not getting one and I'll just get a LG G2.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
And unfortunately that does not give me confidence of good battery life. But if Motorola can do it with the X then Google better with the N5.

Motorola did it with a low power dual core CPU, low power AMOLED display, and 720p resolution. The Nexus 5 will have none of those.

Plus Motorola has been known for having more energy efficient radios. LG, not so much.

Can you provide the source? I've seen crazy rumors online. Some people, despite FCC filings, leaks, and early benchmarks of the Nexus 5, still write posts of the Nexus 5 having a 3300 mAh battery, 8-core CPU, and 3GB RAM. None of which is true. The only thing that could be true at this point is 3GB just because no leak has specified, but I wouldn't hold me breath even for that if I were you.

The Nexus 5 will have an underwhelming battery capacity with "passable" battery life for an average user. And to those who wonder why it won't have the same battery in the G2, it's because the Nexus 5 is smaller in nearly every dimension. Plus, Google always skimps on something.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Have to agree. As exciting and desirable as the Nexus 5 is shaping up to be, the real world results may ultimately be quite different.

Meaning... will the relatively small battery be able to deliver a full day's use? Will the so-called "big lens" camera finally give the Nexus line a good camera experience? Will there be a 32GB option from the get go? And will the price remain competitive?

These are the main variables, for me, at least.

The Nexus phone is always an exciting time and thing to follow because with partnerships like this, you're never really sure what you're going to get. But that's also why it can be ultimately disappointing.

We're all ready, Google.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Motorola did it with a low power dual core CPU, low power AMOLED display, and 720p resolution. The Nexus 5 will have none of those.

Plus Motorola has been known for having more energy efficient radios. LG, not so much.

This is all (unfortunately) true.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Looks like the battery isn't the only thing Google is skimping on. Looks like Google may stick to their Nexus roots in terms of always having something wrong with it.

http://m.gsmarena.com/leaked_nexus_5_log_reveals_most_of_the_specs-news-6876.php

If true, I wonder why they're pulling an "Apple" in holding back certain hardware features -- in this case, the camera. Maybe this has something to do with the "bigger" lens? Seems like that's the trend and/or limitation of larger lens that let in more light (both HTC One and Moto X have smaller lens, and the iPhone 5S remains 8 MP also but allows more light, too)?

One also has to wonder if this has to do with keeping costs down...

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
If true, I wonder why they're pulling an "Apple" in holding back certain hardware features -- in this case, the camera. Maybe this has something to do with the "bigger" lens? Seems like that's the trend and/or limitation of larger lens that let in more light (both HTC One and Moto X have smaller lens, and the iPhone 5S remains 8 MP also but allows more light, too)?

One also has to wonder if this has to do with keeping costs down...

Maybe they just want to keep the Nexus rep the same ;-)

The G2 is looking better and better every day.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
The galaxy nexus had a standard battery and an OEM high capacity battery available, both of which fit under the flexible stock battery cover. The conflicting battery capacity reports might just be a reflection of a similar option set.

Nano SIM has me a bit concerned. I am still rocking a galaxy nexus with a standard SIM. This means I will need to visit T-mobile when this phone drops.

16GB storage sounds about right. The primary design directive for the nexus line is as reference hardware. We are not yet to the point where 16GB is too small to be useful for mobile application storage.

I would appreciate more storage (especially for storing large photographs), but I think its probably a mistake to expect the current Nexus phone to have more storage than the current Nexus 7. My guess is 16GB and 32GB models.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
Yep and I have no problem getting a G2. The only thing about getting one of those is when will it see Kitkat?

I'm with you there. I need 32GB minimum. I record a lot of 1080p videos and have many apps installed on my device. Considering some games take up 1GB we need more storage and Google should know better, but I just don't see the Nexus line being top of the line.

Something will be missing. If it's only 16GB then I would have a hard time trying to decide if it's still worth it to buy.

I think the Nexus 5 will be a good smartphone, but not a great one. My biggest hopes are on the software (4.4) side rather than on hardware.

I really hope I'm wrong and we get 32GB option, awesome camera quality and 2700 battery at least.

It would be a huge mistake if they had the max at 16GB. If they do, I'm not getting one and I'll just get a LG G2.

Let's not forget first is 4.3, or will LG skip it? I don't see LG giving their phones more than one update. What's their past history like with their top smartphones?

All in all I'm considering the LG G Pad 8.3, but I'm not expecting it to even receive 4.3, much less 4.4.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Going nano sim would require me dealing with Straight Talks customer support to get my number ported to a new sim. Something I absolutely do not want to do.

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
If the FCC filings end up being the Nexus 5 (and it's looking very likely they will), it means that Google is designing the Nexus 5 to be smaller in overall size than the Nexus 4 without compromising the 5" screen (edge to edge). If this is the reason the battery is so small (due to the lack in room for a larger battery), I think this will be acceptable if they can manage to still make the device last a full day. Hopefully they accomplish this via software.

I don't mind the device not being as large as say the Xperia Z1 or the LG G2 or even the HTC One.

Of course, that's if they can promise good battery life.

Got to handle the Nexus 5. It is smaller than the G2.
Didn't actually measure it, but holding it in the hand it is smaller.
It does feel good holding it. The black back cover feels like my Nexus 7.

The screen was ok, didn't wow me like the Note 3.

The bezel is very small.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Got to handle the Nexus 5. It is smaller than the G2.
Didn't actually measure it, but holding it in the hand it is smaller.
It does feel good holding it. The black back cover feels like my Nexus 7.

The screen was ok, didn't wow me like the Note 3.

The bezel is very small.

Can you tell us any more besides what's been predicted?

Asking seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.