Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
United States
Hi guys, I am going to go out and get a new 13 inch macbook air today. I was wondering if it is a good time to buy or not? I would be getting a 13 inch 256gb otherwise fully loaded model with an education discount.

All advice is good advice ;) thanks!

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
Hi guys, I am going to go out and get a new 13 inch macbook air today. I was wondering if it is a good time to buy or not? I would be getting a 13 inch 256gb otherwise fully loaded model with an education discount.

All advice is good advice ;) thanks!

Did you check the weather forecast before going out? :D

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Everybody knows, October 30 is the best day to buy a laptop, or socks. :D

Did we just wake up and go, God wants me to buy an Air today, I just feel it!

2013 Refurbs are coming out if ur into that thing, and you don't have to buy TODAY.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
United States
Hey guys I got the air :) thanks for the advice. I got the 13 inch 256gb sad, 1.3ghz 4gb ram model.

My biggest concern so far is the lag when just scrolling in webpages...

IS it just because its new and let it reset once or twice first? I'm wondering if I should have opted for the i7 model, considering that I have never bought a $1300 computer before that has lagged out of the box.

Anyways thanks for the input guys

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Hey guys I got the air :) thanks for the advice. I got the 13 inch 256gb sad, 1.3ghz 4gb ram model.

My biggest concern so far is the lag when just scrolling in webpages...

IS it just because its new and let it reset once or twice first? I'm wondering if I should have opted for the i7 model, considering that I have never bought a $1300 computer before that has lagged out of the box.

Anyways thanks for the input guys

Others have also reported a lag when scrolling web pages with the i5, but there is a very vocal faction on here saying that those who experience said lag are just imagining things. Furthermore, there is also a group on here that have experience with both the i5 and i7 and report no scroll lag with the i7.

There IS the possibility that your hard drive is going through the initial Spotlight indexing, and after that completes the lag will disappear.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
The scrolling lag issue is only apparent for people who used IE 10 on both Windows 7 and 8 and the scrolling is as smooth as an iPad even on a very crappy Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics. Mavericks will clear that issue up so just wait for the public release.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
United States
Others have also reported a lag when scrolling web pages with the i5, but there is a very vocal faction on here saying that those who experience said lag are just imagining things. Furthermore, there is also a group on here that have experience with both the i5 and i7 and report no scroll lag with the i7.

There IS the possibility that your hard drive is going through the initial Spotlight indexing, and after that completes the lag will disappear.

Thanks for the info, I have woken up today and tried the computer again. It appears to have much less lag than before. IT seems that it must just have been the computer just starting up.

Just a quick question though, what kind of speed am I supposed to get on this? I geekbenched it and am only getting around 4250, which is very slow. My brother's air from 2012 with an i5 as well is doing better...

Anyway thanks for the advice. On the bright side the one thing I am noticing is that the battery life is phenomenal!

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Thanks for the info, I have woken up today and tried the computer again. It appears to have much less lag than before. IT seems that it must just have been the computer just starting up.

Just a quick question though, what kind of speed am I supposed to get on this? I geekbenched it and am only getting around 4250, which is very slow. My brother's air from 2012 with an i5 as well is doing better...

Anyway thanks for the advice. On the bright side the one thing I am noticing is that the battery life is phenomenal!

I think geekbench only measures performance of the CPU. I seem to recall that Apple included faster PCIe cards in the 2013 model with a performance increase that puts general use of that system on roughly the same par with the 2012 while allowing the increase in battery life.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Do you seriously look at Horoscope and all type of superstition before buying something?

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
United States
Hi guys, I have found the machine very fast, and it has PHENOMENAL battery life. It has by far the longest battery life ive ever experienced from a laptop.

Two quick things. First My one gripe now is the resolution doesnt bother me, the lack of ips does. Maybe it is because im spoiled from my imac 27 inch, but I just hate the fact the screen doesnt look great from all angles, and that I constntly have to tilt it.

Second thing, Ive been wondering how apple is making money on this generation. They have had to significantly revamp the battery, put in a $100 more expensive chip, and probably had to pay intel off to give it to them first. They are also using the latest most expensive SSD technology, and they lowered the price on the base end!. I understand why they wouldnt have wanted to go the ips route, adding more costs to an already lower profit margin machine, and not to eat their rmbp sales. But still, if they are trying to up sales I would have prefered an ips panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.