Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
I have somehow, in the last 20 minutes, turned on some talking feature on my iBook! And in that time, I have been driven mad!
Basically, whenever I click on a window, for example iTUnes, it will say 'iTunes...iTunes....button....' and then explain what different buttons mean ! It is really annoying and in such an awful voice that is making me mad! How do I turn this off!?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
And, until you find the cause, there's always "mute". Might wanna do that before you fix things. Otherwise, every attempt to fix it will be narrated to you.... ;)

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
jsw said:
And, until you find the cause, there's always "mute". Might wanna do that before you fix things. Otherwise, every attempt to fix it will be narrated to you.... ;)

Speakable items is off. As is mute. The drone was sending me mad and no amount of music could stop it :(

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
I really don't think my iBook likes me. Spotlight won't work, the man is driving me away by talking and now this.... Why is nothing working properly !!!

Attachments

• !!!!.jpg
    !!!!.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 597

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
It sounds as though you've accidentally turned on Voiceover.

If you haven't already fixed this... hit [Command (apple key)], [Fn] and [F5] to turn it off.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
john_satc said:
I really don't think my iBook likes me. Spotlight won't work, the man is driving me away by talking and now this.... Why is nothing working properly !!!
Did your Spotlight just stop working? If not, you may want to reindex your drive. Simply head to the System Pref's Spotlight panel. Using the '-' select your drive as one to not be searched. After a minute or so, remove that setting making your drive searchable by Spotlight. Let the indexing proceed, and whatever you do, do not logout or turn off your computer...That is unless you want to go through the process again. ;)

Huff1213

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Talking Mac---aaaah!

If you use the "Command" button and the "F5" button at the same time, it will turn off the "talking mac" problem! Very annoying how you can inadvertently turn on that "text-to-speech" thing.....I know!!

Corrado33

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
While yes this question was answered.... I just had to try voice over. Any yes I can confirm... it's annoying...:)

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Lol, if you turn it on, and go to this thread, it says

"Firefox, Mac Forums, Please Help me turn off this talking man!"

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize that this thread was from '05.

donato

Suspended
Jun 3, 2008
Bwahahaha. Thanks for this thread. I accidentally did this after a rough night. Trippy and terrible...

nwg

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
It sounds as though you've accidentally turned on Voiceover.

If you haven't already fixed this... hit [Command (apple key)], [Fn] and [F5] to turn it off.

dude you are a genius, that voice over, was repeating everything on display step by step and wont allow me to move on. was driving me bonkers! thanks ,it has worked

jazzba

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
You might have turned 'on' Speakable Items which can be found in System Preferences > Speech, haven't you?

i dont know did you help the otjer guy, but my mac does not talk any more and my number 0 working again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. if youever come to Phoenix AZ, i will buy you drink, :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.