Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released MacBook Air SMC update 1.9, along with MacBook Pro SMC Firmware update 1.8 and Retina MacBook Pro SMC update 1.1.

macbook_air_macbook_pro.jpg
The MacBook Air update is recommended for all MacBook Air models from mid 2012 to mid 2013 and addresses an issue that causes the battery to unexpectedly stop functioning.
This update is recommended for MacBook Air (mid 2012 and mid 2013) models.

This update addresses rare issues where the battery unexpectedly stops functioning, the system does not recognize the battery, or the system hangs when the battery charge reaches less than one percent.
The MacBook Pro update is recommended for mid 2012 models and also addresses the same issue that causes the battery to stop functioning.
This update is recommended for MacBook Pro (mid 2012) models.

This update addresses rare issues where the battery unexpectedly stops functioning or the system hangs when the battery charge reaches less than one percent.
The Retina MacBook Pro update is recommended for late 2012 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros and mid 2012 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros, fixing the same issue.
This update is recommended for 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (late 2012) models, and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (mid 2012) models.

This update addresses rare issues where the battery unexpectedly stops functioning or the system hangs when the battery charge reaches less than one percent.
The updates for the MacBook Air, the MacBook Pro, and the Retina MacBook Pro can be downloaded from Apple's support site or via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Battery Fix SMC Firmware Update for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Retina MacBook Pro

iSolidus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
When I saw the words "Apple Releases" and "MacBook Pro", my heart stopped for a moment...

demetr1

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
still waiting for the firmware update to address the sporadic screen brightness on reboot issue i been having on my 2012 MacBook Air.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
still waiting for the firmware update that addresses the lack of Haswell

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Works with Filevault activated.

Just installed on my 2013 MBA and, unlike the previous firmware update, this one can be applied with Filevault still activated.

Studio96

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
Mid 2012 MBP support?

Not sure this applies to all Mid 2012 - running the package states that 'this software is not supported', on my machine ( MacBook Pro 9,1)

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
or the system hangs when the battery charge reaches less than one percent.

Does this mean my system won't shut off when the battery dies anymore? That's always bugged me when that happens...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Does this mean my system won't shut off when the battery dies anymore? That's always bugged me when that happens...

What bugs me is when it refuses to turn on when there's less than a certain amount of battery power. I could quickly get a couple files off there to play on my Surface ... but no, it won't let me.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Not sure this applies to all Mid 2012 - running the package states that 'this software is not supported', on my machine ( MacBook Pro 9,1)

It's for MBP with retina display (13" late 2012 and 15" mid 2012).

(edit - missed that there is a separate update for MBP mid-2012)

App Store Software update (and link) show version 1.2 for mid/late-2012 retina MBPs. OP says 1.1

Last edited:

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles

I have a 9,1 and Software Update offered and applied it. But there are other possible factors, such as which manufacturer made the part in question.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I hope this fixes the issue that caused my Retina MacBook Pro to overheat the other day while it sat closed in my bag. Even though it was out of warranty, Apple responded quickly to my issue since it burned my hands a little when I pulled it out and I smelled a melting plastic smell once I got it open. It was pretty ridiculous but Apple allowed me to have it checked out free of charge. The initial diagnostics were fine and it has been working ok, but the shop I had look at it recommended some 12 hour full inspection of all the parts which is also covered for free, so once I have a day to give up I'll drop it off. Only reason I think this update might be related is AppleCare had me reset the SMC.

Has anyone else had this issue of your MacBook waking from sleep while in a bag and nearly melting down? It was scary as hell!

madcran

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
Update worked for me great, 13" MBP 2012 (MacBookPro9,2) w/ a "non-Cat" OS. Actual SMC update took all of 5-10 seconds.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
This update apparently fixes an issue that made my MBP slow and almost unresponsive the first 5 minutes after reboot & login. It's now instantly really fast.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Is there any way to install this update on Windows? I guess I'll just have to keep a USB install of OS X around for this type of stuff. Apple should truly support Windows some day.

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I was never asked to download the update, yet I have the latest version. Is it possible that power nap installed it for me without my input?

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
my 15 Retina won't power up after update. WTF? It would make the startup sound while booting up but then goes black!!!

Good thing I backed up first. I am restoring from TM backup now.

Anybody else run into problems???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.