Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Just finished jailbreaking to ATV 2’s and was successful in installing XBMC Frodo. Have a older ATV 1; and was curious wether XBMC frodo can be installed on it. I have Eden (ver 11 ) on it; but it just seems that I can’t get it to upgrade to Frodo. Is this even possible? And if it is; could someone point me in the right direction?
The ATV is Ver 3.0.1

Thanks

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
yeah, I can but am running out the door. I used the AtvCloner app with the correct drive images which I can't post yet til I get back.

Alternatively there is Crystalbuntu. Will post back in a couple hrs.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Well I tried both. Had partial success with both. ATV cloner gave me XBMC; but did not give me Frodo. Gave me Eden again!

Tried Crystalbuntu; it worked; gave me Frodo; but I have to boot my ATV from the usb stick in order to get it. I was assuming that it would be embedded in the ATV interface.

Is there something that I’m doing wrong?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Well I tried both. Had partial success with both. ATV cloner gave me XBMC; but did not give me Frodo. Gave me Eden again!
Thats because I never posted a xbmc linux frodo image. I have one and will try to get it posted tonight.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Well; I tried loading a Frodo image with the Atv-usb creator. It loaded; but, when I tried to open Xbmc in ATV; an error message came up stating that it was unable to load the image. Obvisiouly the wrong Frodo image for the ATV. Will continue searching!

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
I don't want to thread derail, but does running frodo and xbmc on the atv1 use less power than the factory setup?
This thread made me dig mine out of my closet, but then I remembered how much idle power suck this unit used compared to my ATV2.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
does running frodo and xbmc on the atv1 use less power than the factory setup?
As far as I know power consumption is about the same, that said its possible at idle its a bit less, since the linux os uses very little cpu compared to the stock atv os x based setup.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks.
I figured the linux should be able to idle slightly lower, I was just wondering if anyone had experience. I should try it anyway and measure the current draw.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Sorry, real life intervened, I have to 0 out my free space and dd the image and get it up to my dropbox. probably be wednesday before I can do it. Its running Frodo 12.2 and its used daily. No issues.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
It appears I do have a Frodo 12.1 image made up already. Sorry.

Its here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29510955/Linux_XBMC_Frodo_beta2.img.gz

I will be imaging up my Frodo 12.2 install as well but if you want to get going on that one feel free. I can tell you how to update it to 12.2 via ssh (my linux installs have an entire xbmc build environment on them).

If you don't have it you will need my AtvCloner recovery.img so it boots right to the hard drive. Looks like you do though as you have used my Eden image successfully.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
It appears I do have a Frodo 12.1 image made up already. Sorry.

Its here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29510955/Linux_XBMC_Frodo_beta2.img.gz

I will be imaging up my Frodo 12.2 install as well but if you want to get going on that one feel free. I can tell you how to update it to 12.2 via ssh (my linux installs have an entire xbmc build environment on them).

If you don't have it you will need my AtvCloner recovery.img so it boots right to the hard drive. Looks like you do though as you have used my Eden image successfully.

Thank you. In reading the instructions; it says that a second Hd should be used. I don’t have a extra 2 1/2 inch HD lying around; so I’ll have to purchase one. Once I do that; I’ll try your image and let you know.

Thanks

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Thank you. In reading the instructions; it says that a second Hd should be used. I don’t have a extra 2 1/2 inch HD lying around; so I’ll have to purchase one. Once I do that; I’ll try your image and let you know.

Thanks
Er, what instructions ? You can just use your existing stock 40 or 160 GB drive. Where are you getting these "instructions" ?

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
I looked for instructions on how to load the image and I found this site: iclarified.com. This is what it had to say right at the beginning "You will also need a usb harddrive enclosure to attach the original and new 2.5 IDE drive to your computer”. In searching for a new Hd; I found that they are not that easy to be had; and a bit expensive. Than I thought; why not just over right the old one and use it. However; I didn’t want to do that until I heard back from you. Now I know, and that is what I will do.

Thanks
I’ll let you know how it goes.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I looked for instructions on how to load the image and I found this site: iclarified.com. This is what it had to say right at the beginning "You will also need a usb harddrive enclosure to attach the original and new 2.5 IDE drive to your computer”. In searching for a new Hd; I found that they are not that easy to be had; and a bit expensive. Than I thought; why not just over right the old one and use it. However; I didn’t want to do that until I heard back from you. Now I know, and that is what I will do.

Thanks
I’ll let you know how it goes.

Yes, just use your original drive. remember its going to want a stock efi.img, my recovery and linux image. If you need my recovery image here is a link to it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29510955/AtvCloner_Linux_recovery.dmg.zip

User your stock efi. You use my recovery image as its how the atv natively boots into the linux partition.

Note: you do not use a boot.img like you do for the stock setup.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Yes, just use your original drive. remember its going to want a stock efi.img, my recovery and linux image. If you need my recovery image here is a link to it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29510955/AtvCloner_Linux_recovery.dmg.zip

User your stock efi. You use my recovery image as its how the atv natively boots into the linux partition.

Note: you do not use a boot.img like you do for the stock setup.

All ready to go; just not to sure on the “stock.efi”. I created a “boot.efi” from the ATV 1. Is this file the same as the stock.efi that you refer to. Don’t want to screw anything up!

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
yeah, I can but am running out the door. I used the AtvCloner app with the correct drive images which I can't post yet til I get back.

Alternatively there is Crystalbuntu. Will post back in a couple hrs.

Finally clued into what I’m supposed to be doing here. However; it seems that I can’t get AtvCloner to save my boot image. Therefore i can’t load it into AtvCloner with your recovery image and Xbmc image. I’ve tried about six times; it shows that it is working and says that it has completed; but the image files are no were to be found!
Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.