Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
ThinkSecret has reported that the new iBooks will cost only $999!
This sounds great... but how can Apple have a laptop for under 1000 and not a (current) desktop under 1000? I think we will be seeing the starting emac price drop to $999 as well. Any thoughts?

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
I think the eMac will go away, and good ridance. Problems with the screen (video) and it is way to noisy.

Drop the iMac to 999$ and keep the original iMac's for education, upgrade the original iMacs with new video and a faster G3 cpu.

A under 1000$ iBook I think is pushing it, what would be the spec's on that? Although it would be an excellent school machine :D

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
The info thinksecret gave for the 999 ibook was 12.1'' screen, 700mhz g3, and normal CD-ROM.
I agree 999 sounds like its pushing it, but if it IS true, i dont see how Apple can possible have a laptop at that price and not drop either the G4 iMac or the eMac to that price.

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
I doubt the eMac will go anywhere. If there are problems with it then they will be fixed. At the price point it is going for too many teachers love it due to the durable glass tube monitor aspect of it.

The ibook prices on the other hand if true are very nice and should spur some spending for X-mas.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by daRAT
I think the eMac will go away, and good ridance. Problems with the screen (video) and it is way to noisy.

The eMac is noisy? I don't think so. Everytime I walk into the school's eMac lab (with 16 eMac's), it's as quite as can be. You could here a pin drop in there before you would hear a hard drive or a fan spinning.

The problems will be fixed, and Apple will continue selling them. The deal is way too good for educators. An iBook under $1000 is a great idea. Maybe Apple will start offering cheaper iBooks for education. That would rock! :D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: iBook Price Drops

Originally posted by Chaszmyr
ThinkSecret has reported that the new iBooks will cost only $999!
This sounds great... but how can Apple have a laptop for under 1000 and not a (current) desktop under 1000? I think we will be seeing the starting emac price drop to $999 as well. Any thoughts?

right on, i am with you on that:D

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
only 999 :) :D :) :D :) :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

if i could save 200+ bux that would be incredible:)

umm, i know that to do with a car this is illegal but is it illegal to buy an apple ibook in oregon, but live in Washington St. i ama student and if i could save 100-200 dollars that would be great. anyone know the legalities surrounding this?

sahil

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2001
Bartltt..small place in IL
ibook now has dvd-rom

i recently was thinking about buying an iBook...and i went to the applestore, the guy was tellign me that i could either get an i book with cd-rom or with combo...and he said that those 2 are the only options that i had...but then , while i was there i went to the online applestore to fidn that they were offering iBook with DVD-ROM only (not combo)...the apple store guy was as surprised as i was...
how new is this dvd-rom drive...and why dont any other apple resellers have DVD-ROM (macmall sed they stopped sellign the DVD-Rom 6 months ago...) should i still get the DVD-ROM (since i dont want combo)
really would apreciate reply soon
thanks
-sahil

Anon

macrumors member
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by daniel77
only 999 :) :D :) :D :) :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

if i could save 200+ bux that would be incredible:)

umm, i know that to do with a car this is illegal but is it illegal to buy an apple ibook in oregon, but live in Washington St. i ama student and if i could save 100-200 dollars that would be great. anyone know the legalities surrounding this?

It is legal. If Washington St. were to make it illegal that would be restraining interstate trade which would be unconstitutional. Sales tax on mail ordered items should also be unconstitutional, however because disclosure is voluntary and the amounts are small, I don't think anyone has challenged it court.

For cars you have to license the car in Washington if live in Washington and want to drive it in Washington. You can buy it anywhere you want.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
California is the only state I know of actively monitoring credit card records, and cross referencing this with a persons state tax returns.

Quite a few people have been dragged into CA tax court for additional state taxes, some of which have been a bunch of use taxes that that people failed to pay on purchases out-of-state.

Though quite a few other states have declared BIG interest in CA credit card tax methods.

And it is only credit cards and similar instruments, because these records are considered public. While the checking of a persons bank account and/or checking account requires court orders.

Not sure what the new instant check withdrawl systems fall under, since they convert a check into a debit card transaction.

Anon

macrumors member
May 23, 2002
Didn't know that about California.

I guess I should clairfy a bit on the buying in Oregon thing. It is legal to drive to Oregon, buy it and drive back.

Back on topic: If those prices are real, that is a sweet deal.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: ibook now has dvd-rom

Originally posted by sahil
and why dont any other apple resellers have DVD-ROM (macmall sed they stopped sellign the DVD-Rom 6 months ago...) should i still get the DVD-ROM (since i dont want combo)
really would apreciate reply soon
thanks
-sahil

iBook/DVD-ROM is a custom build. only available via Apple.com

arn

animefan_1

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
New York
PowerBook Prices??

Throughout this entire thread, I haven't seen anyone mention the possibility of the PowerBook Prices being dropped, at least a little. I don't think we'll see a PowerBook under $2000, but with prices (according to ThinkSecret), I think it's definitely possible to see at least a $200 price drop across the board on the TiBook.

On a different note, I do like the fact that Apple puts really versitile drives in their portables. I mean every portable (except the low-end iBook) has a combo drive. I you go to most competitors, they still offer cd-rw, dvd-rom, or just a plain-jane cd-rom (on a base configuration, of course).

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by Anon

It is legal. If Washington St. were to make it illegal that would be restraining interstate trade which would be unconstitutional. Sales tax on mail ordered items should also be unconstitutional, however because disclosure is voluntary and the amounts are small, I don't think anyone has challenged it court.

For cars you have to license the car in Washington if live in Washington and want to drive it in Washington. You can buy it anywhere you want.

Yes it is legal to do that as you said. But the taxes are another thing. Normally it's fine because we usually get away with it, but if you have done this, and the IRS decides to audit you, you are in deep, deep trouble.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Re: PowerBook Prices??

Originally posted by animefan_1
Throughout this entire thread, I haven't seen anyone mention the possibility of the PowerBook Prices being dropped, at least a little. I don't think we'll see a PowerBook under $2000, but with prices (according to ThinkSecret), I think it's definitely possible to see at least a $200 price drop across the board on the TiBook.

On a different note, I do like the fact that Apple puts really versitile drives in their portables. I mean every portable (except the low-end iBook) has a combo drive. I you go to most competitors, they still offer cd-rw, dvd-rom, or just a plain-jane cd-rom (on a base configuration, of course).

I think so too. This is going to be such a dull upgrade, just like the iBook, I can't help but think we're getting lower prices. So to everyone whining because steve isn't going to wow them, shut up because the rest of us want lower prices instead! :)

detroit

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2002
apple loan graphic and ibook prices

I went to the apple store and went through the motions of buying the ibook, and when I got past the accessories screen and the software screen, there was an Apple loan graphic in the upper right hand corner that said "ibooks from $999". Do the same with powerbooks and it says "from $2299". Is this an early look at the price drop or a reference to refurb or educational pricing? (BTW, imac, emac and powermac loan graphics all have the current prices).

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
being that i bought an entry level ibook for $1599, then $999 sounds cheap

but if you pay $999 and only do occassional e-mail, internet, and word processing...something you can do at school or the library, then it's a lot of money to part with

you can get good car stereo and nice, nice leather jacket and they would serve you better for a grand

but for the computing world in general, $999 (or less) is the entry level price for notebooks and it's about time apple inc. has caught up on the value perspective!:)

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by Nebrie

Yes it is legal to do that as you said. But the taxes are another thing. Normally it's fine because we usually get away with it, but if you have done this, and the IRS decides to audit you, you are in deep, deep trouble.

If the IRS decides to audit you whatever you did on sales tax won't make a difference. There is no federal sales tax that they collect through the point of sale.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by jefhatfield
being that i bought an entry level ibook for $1599, then $999 sounds cheap

but if you pay $999 and only do occassional e-mail, internet, and word processing...something you can do at school or the library, then it's a lot of money to part with

you can get good car stereo and nice, nice leather jacket and they would serve you better for a grand

but for the computing world in general, $999 (or less) is the entry level price for notebooks and it's about time apple inc. has caught up on the value perspective!:)

However, if you look at the price of a portable DVD player, and the size of its screen, the $1299 model isn't bad at all, considering you can do much more than just watch movies or listen to music. :)

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I don't believe we will be seeing a 700 MHz g3 for $999 from apple. Apple has never priced compitively, and I doubt they are planning on starting to... Apple just overprices their goods, I'm not complaining, just stating a fact. ;)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by bousozoku

However, if you look at the price of a portable DVD player, and the size of its screen, the $1299 model isn't bad at all, considering you can do much more than just watch movies or listen to music. :)

i noticed that too at circuit city, but then there is the $999 dollar hp laptop with dvd that goes 1.3 ghz and has a 20 gb hard drive and 256 mb of ram...not bad

we all know the ibook is better but it's hard for a first time laptop buyer to pass that up

soilchmst

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2002
Re: apple loan graphic and ibook prices

Originally posted by detroit
there was an Apple loan graphic in the upper right hand corner that said "ibooks from $999". Do the same with powerbooks and it says "from $2299"... (BTW, imac, emac and powermac loan graphics all have the current prices).

Yep. Somone screwed up, and we do know that Apple is dropping the price of all there portables by 200. This is not a reference to the education pricing (which is only 50-100 less). Maybe I need a PowerBook. :D

dentonous

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Does the fact that the Canadian apple store has different models from the US store mean anything?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Nebrie

It fall under state taxes, and how your state handles the out of state purchases - usually a use tax of some sort, anything from magazine subs to cars.

California's credit card system gets a lot of use for establishing CAs definition of residency.

The out-of-state purchases are a big bonus - gives them a big stick with which to whack you. Because of the public nature of credit cards, they know a heck of a lot about you BEFORE taking you to court and getting all your records.

Big minus, it also works for the IRS to establish estimates of your income - or if you're tapping an off-shore account through a credit card. (Visa/MC/etc already are coughing up some of your records to the IRS).

REMEMBER - The recent downfall of a corporate officer started with NY state use taxes on purchases, then his problems snowballed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.