Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jorobee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Hello, I just got my new macbook pro 15.4 retina display, purchased on sept 28th 2013 and received oct. 3rd 2013. I really love this laptop! But i just read that there may be a new Macbook pro coming out mid october? this happened to me with my iphone 5, got it in march, then iphone 5S came out... but this is a lot sooner. My question is, is this new macbook pro just an idea, or is it more then likely going to happen soon? I really need to know, because I want to return this model and put it towards a new model (even though it will suck to be without a laptop for awhile) please let me know your opinions ! thanks :confused:

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
Hello, I just got my new macbook pro 15.4 retina display, purchased on sept 28th 2013 and received oct. 3rd 2013. I really love this laptop! But i just read that there may be a new Macbook pro coming out mid october? this happened to me with my iphone 5, got it in march, then iphone 5S came out... but this is a lot sooner. My question is, is this new macbook pro just an idea, or is it more then likely going to happen soon? I really need to know, because I want to return this model and put it towards a new model (even though it will suck to be without a laptop for awhile) please let me know your opinions ! thanks :confused:

Return and wait. It's so close now!
If you can survive without a laptop until the end of the month at the very most.

dspsbl

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Keep it if the display is fine. Google "retina ghosting".

You can never have latest stuff. It's law. Someone is using iPhone 7 right now. Take it easy - it's just a $4K notebook.

jorobee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
It's really going to happen.

There's probably 100+ threads on this very forum about the same exact thing.

sorry, i'm obviously new and haven't read through the 100+ threads about it, my bad!

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
sorry, i'm obviously new and haven't read through the 100+ threads about it, my bad!

I wasn't saying it the context of "you should have looked!" ;)

I was just simply informing you that there is lots of information on the new MacBook Pro that is being released later this month-ish.

jorobee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Return and wait. It's so close now!
If you can survive without a laptop until the end of the month at the very most.

ah you really think I should? I was so excited about getting it today but for the money I spent I'd really rather the newest model. Damn apple.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Damn apple.
If this happened to you when you got your iPhone I'd think you would have checked first before buying that MacBook. Even a blind, 10 second google search would have told as much.

Oh well. Thanks for buying old, outdated stock. The sooner they get rid of it the sooner new ones arrive.

What's the cheapest site for buying the new one? I'd like to maximize my awesomeness. :)

http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/#%23

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Recent Macbook Pro update history:

02/2011 - Sandy Bridge Macbook Pros
10/2011 - Sandy Bridge small spec bump
06/2012 - Ivy Bridge Macbook Pros
10/2012 - 13" retina model added
02/2013 - Ivy Bridge small spec bump
???

With the exception of the introduction of the 13" retina model they seem to be on a roughly 8-month cycle alternating between large updates and small spec bumps.

The last update was a small spec bump about 8 months ago, and Apple doesn't generally like to announce new products in November or December since they are too close to the holidays.

As for what to do with the MBP you just bought ... If you had gotten a good discount on it through a reseller or Apple Refurbished or similar then I think it would be a fine value to just keep and use. If you paid full Apple retail price then you didn't get a very good deal. Apple doesn't generally drop the prices of its computers over their lifetime, so you pay basically as much now for an outgoing model as you would pay after the update for a new one.

HipsterGG

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2013
I wasn't saying it the context of "you should have looked!" ;)

I was just simply informing you that there is lots of information on the new MacBook Pro that is being released later this month-ish.
Wouldn't say it is information, more like speculations and rumors. And I think most important off all, hope.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Lol how do these release cycles trip people
up? It's pretty much well known when a new iPhone or Mac is coming. There's hundreds of threads about it.

jorobee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Recent Macbook Pro update history:

02/2011 - Sandy Bridge Macbook Pros
10/2011 - Sandy Bridge small spec bump
06/2012 - Ivy Bridge Macbook Pros
10/2012 - 13" retina model added
02/2013 - Ivy Bridge small spec bump
???

With the exception of the introduction of the 13" retina model they seem to be on a roughly 8-month cycle alternating between large updates and small spec bumps.

The last update was a small spec bump about 8 months ago, and Apple doesn't generally like to announce new products in November or December since they are too close to the holidays.

As for what to do with the MBP you just bought ... If you had gotten a good discount on it through a reseller or Apple Refurbished or similar then I think it would be a fine value to just keep and use. If you paid full Apple retail price then you didn't get a very good deal. Apple doesn't generally drop the prices of its computers over their lifetime, so you pay basically as much now for an outgoing model as you would pay after the update for a new one.

This laptop was actually purchased from best buy, the price of the computer itself was about 1999? I'm not 100% sure... I wasn't too into Apple before I got my iPhone, so I haven't really kept up on all the Apple newest releases...

I'm more so looking for opinions on if I should return this laptop or not... I really just don't know what to do.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
It is likely that you can keep the laptop for now and still be within the return window when the new one comes out (it is a month, right?) If it is, take special care of the machine but keep it until the 15th (when we're guessing the update will be.) If it doesn't come then, think again about whether you are willing to keep the current version.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I would be inclined to return it. The general consensus is we are so very close to a new model that should be a nice upgrade over the current model which is becoming dated. Now, if you buy one from the Apple refurb store, that's a different story. Saving $500-600 may outweigh the feature set of the new machines. Depends on your needs/wants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.