Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
So I'm still on iOS6 because I'm weary of iOS7 on my iPhone 4. The updated downloaded as expected to my phone last week, swelling my "Other" section in iTunes to about 4.5 gigs (up from 2.25gb). I experienced this last year with iOS6 as well so I assumed the space would be gone until I inevitably was forced to restore and update.

I plugged my phone into my computer today and got the popup saying "New download available - iOS 7.0.2." I checked the box that said "Don't ask me again" and then clicked "cancel." My phone then synced, and Viola! My space is back to normal. I still have a notification for my "Settings" icon on my phone, but I've gained back the space I lost with the auto-download.

Does this work for anyone else that has not yet upgraded? I'm curious to know if this is a fluke or if Apple changed their policy. Chime in!

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Tried it on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4... I think that it didn't work... My "Other" files have shrunk, but only for 200 MB... I don't think that iOS 7 wants to leave my iDevices...;)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I plugged my phone into my computer today and got the popup saying "New download available - iOS 7.0.2." I checked the box that said "Don't ask me again" and then clicked "cancel." My phone then synced, and Viola! My space is back to normal. I still have a notification for my "Settings" icon on my phone, but I've gained back the space I lost with the auto-download.

Cleared out the space but did it really solve the issue of the software auto downloading. Only time will tell on that. At this point the best we know is that you shut up the pop up when you connect to the computer

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
So I'm still on iOS6 because I'm weary of iOS7 on my iPhone 4. The updated downloaded as expected to my phone last week, swelling my "Other" section in iTunes to about 4.5 gigs (up from 2.25gb). I experienced this last year with iOS6 as well so I assumed the space would be gone until I inevitably was forced to restore and update.

Does this work for anyone else that has not yet upgraded? I'm curious to know if this is a fluke or if Apple changed their policy. Chime in!

What version of iTunes are you using?

I could not duplicate on my iPhone 5 (6.1.4) or iPhone 4 (5.1.1 - no active cell service). I am using iTunes 10.7.

I reset warnings, etc. You do mean that the popup was in iTunes, right?

Thanks.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
What version of iTunes are you using?

I could not duplicate on my iPhone 5 (6.1.4) or iPhone 4 (5.1.1 - no active cell service). I am using iTunes 10.7.

I reset warnings, etc. You do mean that the popup was in iTunes, right?

Thanks.

Why are you running such low versions ?

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2005
UK
I plugged my phone into my computer today and got the popup saying "New download available - iOS 7.0.2." I checked the box that said "Don't ask me again" and then clicked "cancel." My phone then synced, and Viola!

Why did a viola appear? Are you an accomplished viola player?

Last edited:

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
Why are you running such low versions ?

iPhone 5 is last version of iOS 6.
iPhone 4 was in the drawer, meaning to sell...just using to test, but it too got the forced download of iOS7.

iTunes, no real explanation other than I didn't really like the changes in 11 and it backs up my phone and streams my library fine. Haven't bothered to update.

So does iTunes 11 clear up the problem of the wasted space?

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010

One of the solution I found online is that you go ahead proceed the update... then when the spinning wheel comes up, you hold home+sleep/wake to force shutdown your iDevice. This way will clear the downloaded update. I have not tried this method, but some people report this method worked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.