Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I upgrade Internet Speed?

• Yes, Upgrade from 15 to 30 Mbps you will notice

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No, do not Upgrade, there will be little/no difference

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters

wmitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
well Friends, thanks For tagging along!

After talking to Mediacom 3 or 4 times i found someone who was willing/able to take me to the 30mb speed and lower my bill from $70 to $50 (for internet and phone)

I'm pretty happy but now i'm thinking i may call them again and see if I can find someone to up me to the 50mb service for a good deal since that would give me the 5mb upload speed.

If not, oh well I still doubled my internet speed and saved my company $20/mo.

It's amazing what a little kind persistance will do. :D

Frankinsteyn

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
2914092881.png

wmitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA

ok that ping and download speed is ridiculous but i don't understand the slow upload.

I am at 45-50mbp/s and get 12mbp/s upload as part of my triple play from comcast. My parents get 20-30mbp/s down and at least 4-6 upload for $30 bucks but jumps to 50 with comcast.

This would be perfect for me! too bad no options like that around here. a little jealous.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
No doubt those are the same problem. 1Mb really is pretty slow. If you are constantly connected via a VPN, that's a lot of 'talk' back and forth. As your tests showed, "business" level connections are usually equal speeds up and down, whether at 12/12 or 200/200. And that's why they cost more.

5Mb or higher upload would really benefit you, I think. Don't know if that is possible for you. A business level connection might be possible at home, if they want to bump the price up for that.

Some first hand experience -- going from 15/5 to 25/25 made a world of difference. I can VPN tunnel through home and back out to keep even insecure traffic secure, and I don't even realize it -- no performance hit.

At home, going from 15 down to 25 down wasn't noticeable.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I downgraded from 100MB/5MB to 30MB/2MB and don't notice any difference except that I'm saving just over 20 bucks a month. That's $240 a year.

$240 helps me towards buying a new iPhone every year :D

If you need the upload speed, then I'd say go for a higher plan that offers it, but otherwise, save the money.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I downgraded from 100MB/5MB to 30MB/2MB and don't notice any difference except that I'm saving just over 20 bucks a month. That's $240 a year.

$240 helps me towards buying a new iPhone every year :D

If you need the upload speed, then I'd say go for a higher plan that offers it, but otherwise, save the money.

30mbp/s is crazy fast still. Unless your downloading blu rays or video games illegally. Or every single person in your house is downloading/streaming things offline at the same time you don't really need 100mbp/s. In Boston I lived with 4 other people and we would have our gfs over. So at least 5-7 labtops at a time, 5-10 iphones, 3-5 PS3s playing netflix or video games happening at one time. I hardly ever noticed a slow down in speed and only had 50mpb/s. Only time I noticed a slow down is when one of my friends would down load a PS3 game and another was trying to download the whole season of Game of Thrones on HD.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
30mbp/s is crazy fast still. Unless your downloading blu rays or video games illegally. Or every single person in your house is downloading/streaming things offline at the same time you don't really need 100mbp/s. In Boston I lived with 4 other people and we would have our gfs over. So at least 5-7 labtops at a time, 5-10 iphones, 3-5 PS3s playing netflix or video games happening at one time. I hardly ever noticed a slow down in speed and only had 50mpb/s. Only time I noticed a slow down is when one of my friends would down load a PS3 game and another was trying to download the whole season of Game of Thrones on HD.

yup

wmitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
Quick Update-

Just got off the phone w/a Mediacom Rep again.

Now I have 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up for $65/mo after tax and modem rental with a 3 year price lock.
This means that my Speed went from 15/1 for $70/mo to 50/5 for $65!

Pretty cool what happens with a little kind persistence. :D

Last edited:

khaledtn

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Well this is depends 100 % on your needs but if I were you I will not upgrade , I don't know why you feel that you should upgrade just make sure that you are getting the full subscription ( you can do this using speed test website like Testinternetspeed.info )

Khaledtn

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
We have two connections at home, a 100 Mbs line shared by my three sons and me, and a 8 Mbs commercial grade line for the business of my wife. If you look at pure down/uploading speed than obviously the 100 Mbs line is faster. But accessing a database is MUCH faster over the 8 Mbs line. So I would advice you to not only look at the up/download speed but also at reaction-times and delays, especially when your income depends on it.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I started using the internet with my Apple II and a 300 baud modem. My current 27" iMac i7 uses cable with 30Mb down and 5Mb up. Personally, I think it's overkill. It seems I can download most anything without having to wait an unreasonable amount of time. The 5Mb up helps when using VPN, but your time has to be extreemly valuable or your uploads very large to warrant it.

Movies, videos, audios, and podcasts have never seen a delay due to my modem speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.