Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
The new BTO models will likely ship with ML with a redemption code for a free download of Mavericks once released.

I was in a similar window when I got my iMac G4 nine years ago, though it wasn't BTO. In fact, I think they just handed me the Mac OS Tiger box in the Apple Store because it had just come out. The first thing I did was a clean install of the new OS. Because of the timing, I should be able to do the same thing again before migrating any of my data.

autoy

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
Everything seems to work fine except for Tweetbot in my case. Push notifications were not working so I decided to delete and reinstall from MAS. Now Tweetbot does not remember it's auth or any settings :(

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Why, Apple? Why?!?

Attachments

• Game Center.jpeg
    Game Center.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 243

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
The only issue I am having so far is I can't open a new tab/window in safari. It crashes every time. I love everything else esp the iBooks and Maps integration. Very smooth and nice ;)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
What's the official md5 hash of the .dmg? I can't seem to find this listed on the dev site.

It's not a dmg.

You have to obtain a redemption code in the mac dev center and then redeem it in the mac app store. It will then download an installer app to your applications folder called Install OS X Mavericks.app. You can install it from there (or as many others have done, make a bootable usb instead).

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Just to have system temperatures down by 40% is a dream.

Down from 70 degrees to 40 degrees is awesome.

Some slight stuttering on some animations, but smooth as butter, and dare I say it, Snow Leopard like in terms of speed and temperature?

IMHO

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Anyone installed on a Mac Pro yet? I tried on my 2010 model to upgrade and at the first reboot, I get the no entry sign. Not a good start. I am on DP8 currently. Rebooting into recovery seemed to get me back into DP8 but whatever I do, I can't get the GM to install. Any ideas? I'm about to try loading it onto a USB stick and going that route but not sure what else to try. I'm a registered dev so there's nothing dodgy going on there.

It's installed on 17" MBP and 27" iMac no worries.

Nall

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
Anyone installed on a Mac Pro yet? I tried on my 2010 model to upgrade and at the first reboot, I get the no entry sign. Not a good start. I am on DP8 currently. Rebooting into recovery seemed to get me back into DP8 but whatever I do, I can't get the GM to install. Any ideas? I'm about to try loading it onto a USB stick and going that route but not sure what else to try. I'm a registered dev so there's nothing dodgy going on there.

It's installed on 17" MBP and 27" iMac no worries.
USB stick made with createinstallmedia on GM gives me "no entry" as well on my rMBP.

Bummer.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
The GM is noticeably faster on my 2007 iMac than using DP8. I guess all of the debug code is out.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I shouldn't have downloaded this. I've found a bug in the finder already. I was looking at a folder containing the pictures I took this summer, and I was deleting some pictures. When I delete a picture it deletes the file from the list, but the file still shows up on the cover flow view. When that happens after I select a different picture, it shows the wrong thumbnail in cover flow view.

9gmp.png

3ays.png

I want to go back. I'd have to do a clean install correct? Man! How can I save my applications. Can I just transfer them to a hard drive, and transfer them back? Would the settings within the program also stay?

Last edited:

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
USB stick made with createinstallmedia on GM gives me "no entry" as well on my rMBP.

Bummer.

I just managed to get it installed by creating a USB stick (I actually used a firewire/sata adapter + old 30GB SSD drive) and it installed fine.

As others have said, it does seem quicker but could be placebo.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
md5 hash please

Can someone please post the .app file's MD5 hash so we can verify the "alternatives" out there?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
For a 0 release, Mavericks seems to be pretty solid. I've been trying to find some bugs but none so far. The only thing I really noticed was in iMessage. When you send a message that requires two lines, it won't adjust or align correctly like it did in ML. It will only adjust when the "Delivered" indicator shows up. It's nothing serious but it's kind of annoyance to see your message keep shifting when the delivered receipt appears.

Also, the fonts for items on the desktop seems to be bolded like what was found in iOS 7. So far can't see a way to disable or revert back to ML font.

I'm not sure what is causing this but I'll wait after a restarts but every so often, the CPU usage will spike and you will notice it when you're doing something. I thought it was Spotlight doing it's thing but it wasn't.

Again, so far so good. Nothing that would make me regret upgrading to to Mavericks but performance could definitely use a tweak but that is expected and will come with later OS upgrades.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Just wanted to say that I've created two USB installers, one with createinstallmedia, and the other done the "traditional" way with basesystem.dmg/installesd.dmg, and the resultant installers are both quite different. Createinstallmedia brings up a menu of options when you boot, including new install etc. The other option is more traditional, most of the options like disk utility are there in the menu-bar. I've used the traditionally created USB stick to update a few macs (and hacks) around the house and it works fine.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I shouldn't have downloaded this. I've found a bug in the finder already. I was looking at a folder containing the pictures I took this summer, and I was deleting some pictures. When I delete a picture it deletes the file from the list, but the file still shows up on the cover flow view. When that happens after I select a different picture, it shows the wrong thumbnail in cover flow view.

I want to go back. I'd have to do a clean install correct? Man! How can I save my applications. Can I just transfer them to a hard drive, and transfer them back? Would the settings within the program also stay?

Sounds like a serious bug. Get that one reported.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
+1, but make it MD5 and on the .app, not the dmg! :)

Ok, clearly it didn't work to md5sum the .app because it's a directory. To bad. The unofficial variants out have a clearly modified dmg so the checksum will fail no matter what. Darn, need to hold out a few more weeks it seems :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.