Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I was about to buy an Android phone and maybe a tablet, then I found out many things cannot be put in the memory card now. So:

- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Android
- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Windows Phone
- Apple does not have memory slots
- The best chance seems to be BB10, but there's no official Spotify

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Having a lot of upgradeable storage at a reasonable price.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I was about to buy an Android phone and maybe a tablet, then I found out many things cannot be put in the memory card now. So:

- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Android
- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Windows Phone
- Apple does not have memory slots
- The best chance seems to be BB10, but there's no official Spotify

How does any of the above (while not accurate) indicate you should stop buying mobile devices?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
How does any of the above (while not accurate) indicate you should stop buying mobile devices?

Because they don't provide the functionality needed. If it's not accurate, I will be glad to be corrected with strong evidence to the contrary.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Maybe you should just buy a kindle ! ;)

And SD Card usage is dependent on device. Also whilst Kindle or other app itself may be required on internal storage, additional content can be stored on the SD.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
No, since Honeycomb it is not possible to install apps in the card, and that is not what I am talking about. Although this means the 4GB dual sim phablet I was thinking about is out of the question, I accept it so that an app in the card cannot be replaced by a malicious one.

It is also not possible to store the Kindle books in the card for newer Android and WP, unlike some other media.

And I don't want to carry more than a phone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No, since Honeycomb it is not possible to install apps in the card, and that is not what I am talking about. Although this means the 4GB dual sim phablet I was thinking about is out of the question, I accept it so that an app in the card cannot be replaced by a malicious one.

It is also not possible to store the Kindle books in the card for newer Android and WP, unlike some other media.

You clearly haven't used latest Samsung devices which CAN move the app to SD Card.

So please check your Facts...

Also how many kindle books are you carrying around with you because you can get thousands on even smallest Smartphone these days.

u8u8ygen.jpg

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
You clearly haven't used latest Samsung devices which CAN move the app to SD Card.

So please check your Facts...

Also how many kindle books are you carrying around with you because you can get thousands on even smallest Smartphone these days.

Well, I checked already, and there are many people complaining even with Jelly Bean, that's why the thread was started.

And 4GB is not enough for both apps and Kindle books, if what I want was available with 16GB, I would take it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So basically because what you want is starved of internal memory / storage your being all dramatic and condemning the whole smartphone market without clearly checking all of your facts before you even started this thread....

Buy something with more storage or don't buy, its your choice. The smartphone market is full of choices, just because your picking one that doesn't suit your needs us not indicative of the whole

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Kindle app can be moved to SD card, I'm not sure where the actual books are stored, not bothered TBH because the space they take is so minimal as to be negligible.

Screenshot_2013-10-06-10-35-13_zpsc02fc8ef.png

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
So basically because what you want is starved of internal memory / storage your being all dramatic and condemning the whole smartphone market without clearly checking all of your facts before you even started this thread....

Buy something with more storage or don't buy, its your choice. The smartphone market is full of choices, just because your picking one that doesn't suit your needs us not indicative of the whole

No, it's not full of choices, and I saw reports about this problem on a variety of devices, as a general system problem, not vendor-specific. I'm not even talking about the phablet I might buy, if it accept it is not global 3G.

Until vendors state explicitly that this problem does not exist anymore, I'm buying nothing.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
No, it's not full of choices, and I saw reports about this problem on a variety of devices, as a general system problem, not vendor-specific. I'm not even talking about the phablet I might buy, if it accept it is not global 3G.

Until vendors state explicitly that this problem does not exist anymore, I'm buying nothing.

What phone do you have now please?:)

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
What phone do you have now please?:)

I replaced my Xperia Neo V by an iPhone 4S someone gave me as a gift. 32GB is not enough, and I'm not paying $1000 for 64 that also cannot be upgraded.

But only now a phone appears besides China that approaches what I need.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Maybe you should just buy a kindle ! ;)

Agreed.

Sounds like there isn't a perfect device for you OP so you have to decide on which one meets the majority of your needs. Yeah, it stinks, but it is what it is. No need to sit here on the internet crying "Woe is me!"

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Wow. Uninformed OP is uninformed.

People have given you lots of good advice here and you seem more intent in whining than listening. Take their advice. Or don't. But stop whining about a problem you've created by picking the wrong device.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
How am I uninformed if before buying something I search and I find lots of people with problems, not about the specific item, but about a whole range of similar devices from other brands?

I didn't invent anything. Lots of people reporting that the newer versions of Android didn't allow installing apps in the SD card, and others complaining that they cannot use the SD card with Kindle books anymore.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
b7e.jpg

My note 3 has a 64 gb sd card in it. All my big games are running off of it. My Kindle is totally backed up in the cloud when I want to read on the phone it auto syncs to my Kindle.

I don't know why you would want to store your Kindle books on a sd card. If you are illegally downloading epub files then there are plenty of apps to read them.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
How am I uninformed if before buying something I search and I find lots of people with problems, not about the specific item, but about a whole range of similar devices from other brands?

I didn't invent anything. Lots of people reporting that the newer versions of Android didn't allow installing apps in the SD card, and others complaining that they cannot use the SD card with Kindle books anymore.

The bottom line is this. You came here, posted a vague issue, and won't even say what phone you're interested in (even after being directly asked).

If you'd actually give some specific information rather than talking in generalities, maybe we could help you. But as it is, it just seems you want to whine about something, anything.

All we know is you want a phablet that only comes with 4gb of memory. It does support external SD, but the Kindle app doesn't allow you to store your books on it. This, to me, sounds like your issue is more with the app rather than the phone. And if the 4gb of internal storage doesn't work for you, find another phone that does.

It's as simple as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.