Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Not I that would really care, but I'm sure some of those coffee snobs out there are probably making a big fuss over it.

You know, the one's who are always talking about how coffee has to be fresh, and all the espresso nit picking stuff.

For me, just a jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee...and I'm a happy man.

So, I'm opening this thread for all those coffee fussbudgets who love to talk about coffee.

:rolleyes: :p :D

Please don't hurt me for mentioning "instant"!

Last edited:

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I did not know this!

*he says as he sips his coffee while on lunch break from working in coffee bar*

----------

QUICK! What's your favorite coffee ever? Can include the whole experience, including what was happening that day.

Fave here so far is Alegro Cafe Ubuntu coffee, nice and smooth, although it lacks a certain penguin taste.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not I that would really care, but I'm sure some of those coffee snobs out there are probably making a big fuss over it.

You know, the one's who are always talking about how coffee has to be fresh, and all the espresso nit picking stuff.

So, i'm opening this thread for all those coffee fussbudgets who love to talk about coffee.

Really? Really and truly? Seriously? 'A jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee' and you're a happy man. It is lucky for me that I am not drinking my usual (double) espresso just now, or I would have spluttered in stubborn disbelief, spraying espresso (with a teaspoon of milk on occasion) all over my shirt front (and missing the coffee table, naturally).

Anyway, here's hoping that you have a Very Happy National Coffee Day. Now, I had no idea there was such a thing, but if we must have a national celebration, there are few better things to celebrate than a cup of rich, aromatic, roasted (real) coffee......

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Really? Really and truly? Seriously? 'A jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee' and you're a happy man. It is lucky for me that I am not drinking my usual (double) espresso just now, or I would have spluttered in stubborn disbelief, spraying espresso (with a teaspoon of milk on occasion) all over my shirt front (and missing the coffee table, naturally).

Anyway, here's hoping that you have a Very Happy National Coffee Day. Now, I had no idea there was such a thing, but if we must have a national celebration, there are few better things to celebrate than a cup of rich, aromatic, roasted (real) coffee......

Yup!

And for those who are coffee crazy, here's a bit more information.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks for posting the link; I hadn't known of this, (but then I have been abroad circa September time for the last six years in a row, and, have not caught it). Actually, it is a great idea, - and not just for those of us who love our coffee; above all, I really like the fact that Fair Trade Coffee (and ethically traded coffee) seem to be highlighted as part of 'the envisaged package' of this national coffee day.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

So, I'm opening this thread for all those coffee fussbudgets who love to talk about coffee.

Okay. Who are you, and what did you do to Shrink? We'll pay whatever your ransom is; just return our dear *fresh* coffee loving friend to us! ☕

I knew about national coffee day because of an email I received.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 4.03.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 4.03.58 PM.png
    489.3 KB · Views: 189

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Okay. Who are you, and what did you do to Shrink? We'll pay whatever your ransom is; just return our dear *fresh* coffee loving friend to us! ☕

I read you and echo your thoughts completely......;) This is clearly an impostor, one cunningly disguised and obviously masquerading as our dear friend, (although one easily detected by the sheer improbability and utter implausibility of his post lauding the non-existant merits of.....instant coffee.....)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

I read you and echo your thoughts completely......;) This is clearly an impostor, one cunningly disguised and obviously masquerading as our dear friend, (although one easily detected by the sheer improbability and utter implausibility of his post lauding the non-existant merits of.....instant coffee.....)

Forced...to...type...lies.:eek:

Will make my escape from the Folger kidnappers...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Around here every day is coffee day. But that's what happens when you leave the far wet coast of Canada. Grey and damp... coffee is the antidote.

I'm not quite as non-committal as the impostor posing as Shrink, but I'm not that fussy about my coffee. Though fair-trade and organic is important.

Speaking of which... time to head into town for a coffee break.... yippee

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I find espresso too fussy. I'd never make that at home. Single-cup drip brew for me. A little half and half and i'm :cool:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I find espresso too fussy. I'd never make that at home. Single-cup drip brew for me. A little half and half and i'm :cool:

As a terminally insane espresso enthusiast...I completely agree!

Fussy, time consuming (takes longer to make than to drink), messy...a royal pain in the butt.

And I wouldn't give it up for anything!:p

But, of course, any method that makes coffee that pleases you is "right". All that matters that you enjoy your coffee, and since the beans are all...the method of production is secondary to the quality of the beans.

But espresso is the best.

:p ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For me all 365 days are coffee days.

I couldn't agree more.

I'm definitely with you on that!:D

I just didn't know there was a National Coffee Day...and it was an excuse to talk about my favorite subject.

BTW: If your interested, there is an ongoing thread for coffee freaks...Espresso Enthusiast...but it's not limited to espresso crazies.

No, it is not limited to the self confessed espresso 'crazies' (among whose number I count myself), but does offer a welcome space for us all. Anyway, it is a wonderful thread, warm, welcoming, and brimful of information, ideas, suggestions, all concerning coffee, beans, pots, grinders, tampers, and anything else which may be needed in order to assist one who may wish to join the ranks of those who delight in making their very own espresso.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011

Me too, I just buy some cheap Nestles instant, and call it a day. The good thing about instant coffee is that you can adjust the strength real easy!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Me too, I just buy some cheap Nestles instant, and call it a day. The good thing about instant coffee is that you can adjust the strength real easy!

Methinks that you may have stumbled into.......perhaps, not quite the correct thread in which to espouse this view point with any.....ah, conviction, or passion. It is entirely possible that some posters (self included) may take polite - but intense - issue with you on this very matter......

.....starting with the definition of the word 'coffee'. You see, some among our number dispute (strongly) the idea that the substance, or product, known to the world as 'instant coffee' even merits the actual noun 'coffee'.

Um...ah...oh, dear...please tell me you're kidding...right!?:p

A more succinct version of my post, see above.

Buahahahahahahahahaha! :D

Yes. So. Um. Well, this is what I mean. Expressed even more succinctly.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010

You jest, of course.

Around here every day is coffee day. But that's what happens when you leave the far wet coast of Canada. Grey and damp... coffee is the antidote.

I'm not quite as non-committal as the impostor posing as Shrink, but I'm not that fussy about my coffee. Though fair-trade and organic is important.

Along these lines, give Trader Joe's Cafe Pajaro a try if you haven't already.

The good thing about instant coffee is that you can adjust the strength real easy!

Good one.

.....starting with the definition of the word 'coffee'. You see, some among our number dispute (strongly) the idea that the substance, or product, known to the world as 'instant coffee' even merits the actual noun 'coffee'.

Suppose you were going somewhere that couldn't get real coffee. Would you bring along No-Doz, or, instant coffee, in order to ward off the inevitable headaches?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Suppose you were going somewhere that couldn't get real coffee. Would you bring along No-Doz, or, instant coffee, in order to ward off the inevitable headaches?

I would, and have, used any other source of caffeine available (No Doz, Jolt, anything) other than drink ersatz "coffee". :p

It is, for me, a truly undrinkable substance. I would even drink Starbucks stuff to avoid the other substance!:eek:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I do not care for coffee

It doesn't matter where it is from. I still will not drink it.

I will very occasionally, drink some tea and no, I don't drink energy drinks.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It doesn't matter where it is from. I still will not drink it.

You're certainly part of a large crowd! Lots of folks can't stand coffee.

I didn't drink coffee until I entered grad school. For some unexplainable, and likely drug induced crazy reason, I decided that I wanted to learn to do 2 things...finally learn to study, and learn to drink coffee.

Well, I learned to drink coffee!;)

But it is understandable that others eschew coffee...:D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You're certainly part of a large crowd! Lots of folks can't stand coffee.

I didn't drink coffee until I entered grad school. For some unexplainable, and likely drug induced crazy reason, I decided that I wanted to learn to do 2 things...finally learn to study, and learn to drink coffee.

Well, I learned to drink coffee!;)

But it is understandable that others eschew coffee...:D

I've only been drinking coffee for the past 9 months and now that I can brew my own fresh coffee, I'm loving it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.