Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple Allow ios7 users to downgrade back to ios 6?

• Yes

Votes: 304 52.0%
  • No

Votes: 271 46.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
NO.

iOS7>>>iOS6

Why would Apple allow people to go with the outdated inferior OS version?

People who want iOS6 instead of iOS7 are just wrong.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Changing the discussion away from phones to tablets and iPod Touches. I own both my iPad 2 and iPod Touch 3rd gen outright. I paid good money not lease them from either Apple or a phone company. I own that hardware. I have the right to decided what software operates on those bits of silicon.

If Apple creates an inferior user experience through an upgrade on a system that really can't handle it then it is upon Apple to make a 'downgrade' available. They've taken the first step by finally realizing they're leaving large amounts of legacy harware in the wild that is still in perfectly good condition and operation.

Because that's what's happening. Just like the jump from to iOS4 that sucker punched the iPhone 3 and iPod Touch 2. This also becomes more pointed with OverTheAir updates which can badger an unaware owner with 'new update' messages and make them think they should.

Flatly, it is NOT a good consumer experience. Apple should be ashamed.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Although I'm not keen on the bright white look of iOS 7, I don't want to revert back to 6.

I do respect the right to choose, however and so voted, 'Yes'.

Surprised so many have voted to restrict these rights.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
3 days is a horribly short grace period. It takes much longer than that for our dept to vet a new IOS release. Heck the ticket requesting the vetting process will eat up half of that.

FWIW I like IOS 7 in general. But it is way too buggy even on a brand new 5S.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Can you imagine how many people would downgrade? Why would Apple want that?

First and foremost, some developers might not bother upgrading their apps to iOS 7 because not as many people have it (and they don't want their app to resemble an 'unpopular' iOS). But also, people who don't like the way it looks will get used to it, and any bugs people may be experiencing will be fixed. If Apple let people downgrade: no one who disliked the UI wouldn't get used to it and would continue to complain, and people with bugs would be scared to re-upgrade.

There's more than just technical reasons why Apple don't allow people to downgrade.

moargolems

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Finland
NO.

iOS7>>>iOS6

Why would Apple allow people to go with the outdated inferior OS version?

People who want iOS6 instead of iOS7 are just wrong.
Oh, okay... Upgrading to iOS 7 now.

Oh wait, I can download a Teletubbies theme from Cydia!

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Why give us option to buy a iPhone 5C and variant colors when this is more important?

Money grubbers.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I voted yes because a lot of people using iPhone 4 say it's slow or laggy. When I had my iPhone 3G, you could update to iOS 4, but, it was horribly laggy, to the point I went back to iOS 3. Now, I can't remember if there was something special I had to do, it was so long ago, but I didn't jailbreak it, but, maybe I had to reset the Modem Firmware or something? ...I happen to luv iOS 7 on my iPhone 5, but, I can't imagine it would run well on an iPhone 4.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Can someone explain why they voted no, and chose to restrict other people's rights to downgrade?

My opinion is, why the F do you care if people downgrade or not? Is it affecting you in any way? Lets say you have Mountain Lion, is it affecting you that some people still run Leopard or Snow Leopard? I guess it doesn't, so why do you care about iOS downgrades?

me7

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
People had 3 days to go back before Apple stoped signing iOS6.

Why do you say it like it's a good thing? Why do people accept Apple's strategy of dictating "when" you can or can't install OSes in the first place?

Because older OSes can't be supported anymore? I don't need additional support, I don't need security updates for iOS6. I just need to stick to iOS6 until iOS7.1, 7.2 or even 8.0 fixes the problems of iOS7. If I want to install a legacy OS with all the possible downsides because the upsides justify it for me (a proper music app), who are Apple to say no?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Allowing downgrade = heavier fragmentation. Apple has done a superb job limiting fragmentation in it's devices. Allowing a downgrade to iOS 6 would just break everything up. Besides, already >50% of people are on iOS 7.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If Apple had excluded the iPhone 4 people would bitch that it was a ploy to make them upgrade. But now that the 4 was supported people bitch that its slow and laggy.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Why do you say it like it's a good thing? Why do people accept Apple's strategy of dictating "when" you can or can't install OSes in the first place?

Because older OSes can't be supported anymore? I don't need additional support, I don't need security updates for iOS6. I just need to stick to iOS6 until iOS7.1, 7.2 or even 8.0 fixes the problems of iOS7. If I want to install a legacy OS with all the possible downsides because the upsides justify it for me (a proper music app), who are Apple to say no?

It's their product. They can do whatever they want, including preventing downgrading. When you purchased the device and made your Apple ID, you made an agreement with Apple. You have the choice to not agree with Apple by not signing up for an Apple ID or simply not upgrading in the first place.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
No. Why would Apple allow people who have the latest and greatest OS to downgrade? Bad idea. Regardless, Apple wouldn't do it.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Given all the complains (at least on here) I'm surprised Apple hasn't opened up the facility to downgrade if people really feel that strongly.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Allowing downgrade = heavier fragmentation. Apple has done a superb job limiting fragmentation in it's devices. Allowing a downgrade to iOS 6 would just break everything up. Besides, already >50% of people are on iOS 7.

So I other words, iOS has lesser fragmentation because if Apple forcing everyone stay in latest OS? Every time you hear Cook say how much people willing upgrading to latest OS and comparing it with Android. What he does not say is how many people also wants to downgrade.

I still have trouble to see how allowing downgrade could break everyone up. App developer usually offer compatibility down to iOS 5, beside iOS now offers last compatibility mode, users can get the version works on older OS. If a user chose to downgrade, it also means he/she willing to use older version of apps.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Can someone explain why they voted no, and chose to restrict other people's rights to downgrade?

Look at it this way, the more people on iOS7 the quicker bugs get noticed and fixed. So why should you restrict the pace development of the OS I use.

Know what you have the right to do? Not upgrade until you're sure you want it.

me7

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013

It wouldn't break anything. The only thing it would cause is mass downgrades to iOS6 because iOS7 still feels like alpha version software, it would cause bad press for Apple. Right now, Apple can smuggishly claim that iOS7 isn't a disaster like Windows Vista was, because nobody downgrades to iOS6 like people downgraded to Windows XP. Everyone is happy in iOS7 land because our glorious leader Tim Cook dictates that we are happy with iOS7.
Gee, I wonder what would happen if people actually had the option to downgrade...:rolleyes:

Let's assume for a moment that Apple's choice to not allow downgrades is really based on best intentions, that supporting devices with both, iOS6 and iOS7, is really such a burden. They make 450$ (220%) profit off every 16GB iPhone they sell. They produce them for 200$ a piece and sell them for 650$ (source: http://business.time.com/2013/09/25/ihs-study-puts-iphone-5s-production-costs-at-191/ ).
I find it impossible to believe that paying a few developers extra to continue support for iOS6 is such a burden for them. They know in what a bad shape iOS7 is. It has leaked that they pulled developers from MacOS to iOS because iOS7 wasn't on track. Pulling the plug on iOS6 installations in parallel to the release of the faulty iOS7 is a dick move, nothing more.

It's their product. They can do whatever they want, including preventing downgrading. When you purchased the device and made your Apple ID, you made an agreement with Apple. You have the choice to not agree with Apple by not signing up for an Apple ID or simply not upgrading in the first place.

Doesn't it mean anything that I paid 400€ for my iPod? How can they do to it whatever they want to? Especially release an "update" that cripples the device's main functionality (management of large music collection) and deny me the option to revert to a functioning version for no good reason.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Gee, I wonder what would happen if people actually had the option to downgrade... :rolleyes:
People would find something else to bitch about. Things like why didn't the 4S get AirDrop or that it shouldn't have been hard to put Control Center on iOS6.

Doesn't it mean anything that I paid 400€ for my iPod? How can they do to it whatever they want to? Especially release an "update" that cripples the device's main functionality (management of large music collection) and deny me the option to revert to a functioning version for no good reason.

The worst part is that you had absolutely no way of knowing what iOS7 was like and what the new apps were like. Its not like MacRumors has been discussing iOS 7 since people started putting betas on their various devices. But yeah, Apple caught you completely by surprise. It's unacceptable that someone from Apple forced you to upgrade your iPad.

Last edited:

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Hahaha, I just knew the users here would prefer having less options for the benefit of the company they paid good money for it. Least shocking poll results ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.