Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
SMB2 is replacing AFP as the default sharing protocol.

SMB2
SMB2 is the new default protocol for sharing files in OS X Mavericks. SMB2 is superfast, increases security, and improves Windows compatibility.
• Efficient. SMB2 features Resource compounding, allowing multiple requests to be sent in a single request. In addition, SMB2 can use large reads and writes to make better use of faster networks as well as large MTU support for blazing speeds on 10 Gigabit Ethernet. It aggressively caches file and folder properties and uses opportu- nistic locking to enable better caching of data. It’s even more reliable, thanks to the ability to transparently reconnect to servers in the event of a temporary disconnect.
• Secure. SMB2 supports Extended Authentication Security using Kerberos and NTLMv2.
• Compatible. SMB2 is automatically used to share files between two Mac computers running OS X Mavericks, or when a Windows client running Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 connects to your Mac. Mavericks maintains support for AFP and SMB network file-sharing protocols, automatically selecting the appropriate protocol
as needed.

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
SMB is really slow. I hate being restricted to about 80MB/s... Does Windows Server support SMB2?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
So does Mavericks use SMB2 for Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule? Or does it still use AFP?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So does Mavericks use SMB2 for Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule? Or does it still use AFP?
It doesn't look like the old Time Capsules support SMB2 from what I could see.

So I guess it depends on if the new (ac) Time Capsule supports SMB2 or if they release new firmware for the old Time Capsules with SMB2.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I would've thought connect to server would default to SMB, but in the GM it still defaults to AFP...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Why would you need a different router? To the router it's all IP traffic regardless if you are using AFP or SMB2

I think what he means is to use SMB2 or AFP with a USB drive attached to a router, the router would need to support that protocol for USB disk access. This is why many (most) routers won't work for external USB disk Time Machine backups... they don't support AFP that TM needs.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
I think what he means is to use SMB2 or AFP with a USB drive attached to a router, the router would need to support that protocol for USB disk access. This is why many (most) routers won't work for external USB disk Time Machine backups... they don't support AFP that TM needs.

Wouldn't that be more of a NAS than a router?

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Not really... lots of very low end routers now have a USB port that supports external drives and even AFP for Time Machine.

I work with commercial grade Cisco routers and I would certainly not consider NAS functions and router functions to be one in the same thing.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I work with commercial grade Cisco routers and I would certainly not consider NAS functions and router functions to be one in the same thing.

I honestly don't know what your point is.

Look at this Asus router for example. You can plug a USB drive into it and see that drive on the network just like a dedicated NAS device would do. The question was will a device like this need to be updated to support SMB2, and the answer is yes. That was all that was being mentioned.

I suppose we can argue about whether that makes this router into a NAS, but I don't see what that has to do with the original question.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
I honestly don't know what your point is.

Look at this Asus router for example. You can plug a USB drive into it and see that drive on the network just like a dedicated NAS device would do. The question was will a device like this need to be updated to support SMB2, and the answer is yes. That was all that was being mentioned.

I suppose we can argue about whether that makes this router into a NAS, but I don't see what that has to do with the original question.

The question was not if a "device like that" would need to be upgraded, rather if a "router" would need upgraded.

A NAS may need an upgrade but a router by definition would not. You're right that a device which *combines a router and NAS* may need an upgrade ..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The question was not if a "device like that" would need to be upgraded, rather if a "router" would need upgraded.

A NAS may need an upgrade but a router by definition would not. You're right that a device which *combines a router and NAS* may need an upgrade ..

From the wording of Risco's question it sounded like he was referring to routers that would be impacted by this, and routers that handle file transfer to external USB drives would potentially need an update to handle SMB2. That is all I was trying to say. Why you want to turn this into an argument is completely beyond me. :confused:

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I believe as long as NASes and other devices keep announcing AFP only via Bonjour all OSX does is connect via AFP. If the vendors slowly start introducing SMB2 to Bonjour over time, OSX might choose SMB2 over AFP.
Just a thought though..

Update: I was wrong. Even with SMB over Bonjour it still defaults to AFP (same with connecting to other 10.9 Macs).

Last edited:

roobieroo

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Is this still Apple's screwed up SMBX version that they created for Lion and Mountain Lion or is this going to be back to a version of SMB that actually works well with Windows like it did in 10.6 server? It's hard to imagine having more problems and a worse implementation than SMBX in 10.7 and 10.8 so I really have my fingers crossed.

photosmike

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
Smb

Help me out. I can't seem to find where/how SMB service is started. I have file sharing checked with the SMB option set, but no love. Any ideas appreciated.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Help me out. I can't seem to find where/how SMB service is started. I have file sharing checked with the SMB option set, but no love. Any ideas appreciated.

Not sure what you mean. Enabling file sharing and checking the SMB option is exactly how you are supposed to start the SMB service. You are done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.