Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
I'll let anyone not on at&t or sprint know how 4.3 on htc one is...

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
I'll let anyone not on at&t or sprint know how 4.3 on htc one is...

Isn't this the update they've been saying is coming for a month? This is one major thing I really hate about Android and a big reason I may not keep my G2. Not only is your upgrade time dependent on your device, but your carrier too, it's awful. At least with the iPhone, everyone gets the updates the same day and time regardless of model or carrier.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Isn't this the update they've been saying is coming for a month? This is one major thing I really hate about Android and a big reason I may not keep my G2. Not only is your upgrade time dependent on your device, but your carrier too, it's awful. At least with the iPhone, everyone gets the updates the same day and time regardless of model or carrier.

I totally agree with this statement.
That's why after briefly owning an HTC One I would only go for a Nexus if buying another Android.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
You know, you can always just root and install any version yourselves...

Plus, you don't get any carrier added BS.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
So my crappy $40 low end Android got 4.3 before a $500 flagship. :rolleyes: L-O-L.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I rooted my devices too. The carriers should be able to make their apps, but they should be leaving the device itself to the manufacturers.

Last edited:

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Has anyone got the update yet? I checked too many times this morning and it now tells me to check back tomorrow:(

EDIT: Currently downloading the update already. For those that have to wait just set your clocks forward for one day.

Last edited:

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Has anyone got the update yet? I checked too many times this morning and it now tells me to check back tomorrow:(

EDIT: Currently downloading the update already. For those that have to wait just set your clocks forward for one day.

If you have root, did you lose it with the upgrade?

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011

You don't even need to root for that - at least here in the UK you can just download unbranded stock ROMs ...

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012

I love how your non Apple stuff has a :eek: face lol

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Most people don't root their phones. Some of the custom software may make wifi not work, bluetooth flaky etc. I am techie enough to figure it out. But we are talking about regular people.

Saying all that. Android 4.2 and 4.3 aren't "major" updates in my opinion.

4.0 and 4.1 were major updates.

But getting back to the original topic. 4.3 has been out since July 2013? So getting update 3 months later in October 2013 isn't too bad.

HTC was on some version of 4.1? They probably knew Google was releasing 4.3 soon after the One's release so didn't bother to try to put 4.2 in so skipped to 4.3.

What I'd like to really know are the 4.3 updates for HTC One X. I'm guessing that update will happen.....like NEVER. So last year's flagship HTC phone is left for dead.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
4.3 has trim. How is that not major? That will be felt in everything you do!

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

This is why I use Google Play Edition/Nexus devices.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
4.3 has trim. How is that not major? That will be felt in everything you do!
I could be wrong, but TRIM will be found on Nexus only devices.

I agree with the prev poster stating 4.0 and 4.1 were major updates for Android. I dont see much with 4.2 and 4.3 and still figuring what KitKat 4.4 will even bring.

I personally like to stay with the original software it came with and was originally built with. I was on iOS4 (virgin 4.0) for three years until Apple forced me to update to iOS6 after unlocking my iPhone 4. After two gens, it lagged and wouldnt go to sleep sometimes unless I tap the power button. Upgrading is not always upgrading.

Looks like I will be stuck with 4.1.2 for awhile with the only thing I hate with the HTC One stuck on the current software is the 4 hr charging time that they reduced by 4.2. I see Nexus 7 (2012) and Galaxy Nexus owners lose that buttery smoothness and speed after 4.2.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I just got the 4.3 update. I like the way settings looks now. I also like having the battery % in my status bar.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I could be wrong, but TRIM will be found on Nexus only devices.

I agree with the prev poster stating 4.0 and 4.1 were major updates for Android. I dont see much with 4.2 and 4.3 and still figuring what KitKat 4.4 will even bring.

I personally like to stay with the original software it came with and was originally built with. I was on iOS4 (virgin 4.0) for three years until Apple forced me to update to iOS6 after unlocking my iPhone 4. After two gens, it lagged and wouldnt go to sleep sometimes unless I tap the power button. Upgrading is not always upgrading.

Looks like I will be stuck with 4.1.2 for awhile with the only thing I hate with the HTC One stuck on the current software is the 4 hr charging time that they reduced by 4.2. I see Nexus 7 (2012) and Galaxy Nexus owners lose that buttery smoothness and speed after 4.2.
TRIM support is a software issue and has nothing to do with which Android phone you have (unless that Android phone somehow has a platter driven HDD?)
Basically, all Android devices runing 4.3 will benefit from TRIM support. As for the comments on the Nexus 7 (original) and the lag that generally popped up over time had more to do with those original batches and low grade NAND used. Had TRIM been introduced to the original Nexus 7 in 4.2, it would have helped, but there still would have been issues, because of that low quality memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.