Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
On the computer some of Hulu stuffs is free, and then theres the paid version.

On my Apple TV there is the Hulu app that only works for Hulu Plus?

Why is this and is there anything I can do about it to watch Hulu free version via my ATV?

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North

Why is this and is there anything I can do about it to watch Hulu free version via my ATV?

hulu is only free via a browser, hulu plus is their model for viewing on any "devices" like phones, tablets, or TVs

won't be able to get it for free on your ATV

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

This is a licensing issue with the studios. The content on the AppleTV is considered under a different contract than what is streamed to a computer.

More info from Hulu here: http://www.hulu.com/support/article/20116158

If you have a Mac you can airplay any content on Hulu on your computer to your TV.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
This is a licensing issue with the studios. The content on the AppleTV is considered under a different contract than what is streamed to a computer.

More info from Hulu here: http://www.hulu.com/support/article/20116158

If you have a Mac you can airplay any content on Hulu on your computer to your TV.

What a shame. Thanks for the help folks

I do have a Macbook but it's mostly a question for my parents as they use their Apple TV and wanted Hulu who don't have a Mac.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Hulu is only available on computers. For mobile devices and TV, you need Hulu Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.