Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft is preparing to launch an updated version of its Remote Desktop tool for OS X and a new version for iOS later this month, reports ZDNet. The company will also reportedly release a version of the app for Android and its new Windows RT platform, which comes as the company is pushing to make access and communication with its Windows operating system universal and throughout various platforms.

windows8_remote_desktop-800x526.png
Further, with Windows Server 2012 R2 Microsoft is introducing the Microsoft Remote Desktop app, available for download in application stores later this month, to provide easy access to PCs and virtual desktops on a variety of devices and platforms, including Windows, Windows RT, iOS, OS X and Android.
Additionally, Microsoft MVP Michel Roth has stated (via Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows) that the company is very serious about the upcoming applications, which reportedly will be full-featured and not include stripped functionality like that of ported clients:
"Microsoft is very serious about enabling BYOD [Bring Your Own Device] by means of desktop virtualization," Roth writes. "When you see the clients you'll notice they are pretty sweet and not as basic or as 'v1' as you might expect. The iOS Remote Desktop app supports iOS 6 and 7 and the Android Remote Desktop app is poised to support Android versions as far back as Gingerbread. The OS X Remote Desktop app provides even more functionality that you would expect from a 'desktop app'. Think about 'seamless windows' or 'applications portal'."
Notably, the Mac App Store already contains various cross-platform remote desktop clients, but none of them are official or licensed. Microsoft does however have a Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac that ships with Office 2011, but has received little recent support and is limited in nature compared to other full featured clients.

Article Link: Microsoft Preparing to Launch New Versions of Remote Desktop for iOS and OS X

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Cool. I use the Mac RDC app all the time, an official iPad version might help me stay in Metro/modern more on my Win 8 box when used remotely.

B

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Except for the corporate world, I do not see this being used a lot. And even in the corporate world, it is usually only in the small to medium size companies where there is a chance that you have an Admin working on a Mac that would need Remote desktop solution for Microsoft.

And in that case, as the article points out there are a lot of alternatives out there (I have toyed with a few) and most are way better than what Microsoft has ever put out.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Used quite a bit.

Except for the corporate world, I do not see this being used a lot.

I run my Mac Mini as a headless home media server and have been using VNC to remote into it from iPad, which 9 times out of 10 won't connect properly for one reason or another. I can't believe how poorly remote access has been implemented by OS X. Microsoft has built excellent remote desktop tools into every version of Windows since NT 4.0 so I don't know why Apple can't offer a decent FREE tool for iOS and OS X.

I agree Remote Desktop is a great corporate tool, but i'll definitely be giving this a shot if it works well at home, given they don't charge some ridiculous price like other remote solutions for Mac, if its not free already.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I've wished for years that Apple would do this. I want to be able to use my MacOSX machine from my iPodTouch or iPad at times. Very useful. Apple's missing the boat.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
even in the corporate world, it is usually only in the small to medium size companies where there is a chance that you have an Admin working on a Mac that would need Remote desktop solution for Microsoft.

Macs, maybe. But I imagine there are a lot of people who would be interested in having remote access to their Windows desktop on an iPad.

there are a lot of alternatives out there (I have toyed with a few) and most are way better than what Microsoft has ever put out.

I've never had any problem with RDC. In fact, I have always found it to be faster and more responsive than similar solutions, including OS X's own screen sharing feature.

----------

I doubt this Microsoftware will be free.

RDC has historically been free. And it actually works well.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I run my Mac Mini as a headless home media server and have been using VNC to remote into it from iPad, which 9 times out of 10 won't connect properly for one reason or another. I can't believe how poorly remote access has been implemented by OS X. Microsoft has built excellent remote desktop tools into every version of Windows since NT 4.0 so I don't know why Apple can't offer a decent FREE tool for iOS and OS X.

I agree Remote Desktop is a great corporate tool, but i'll definitely be giving this a shot if it works well at home, given they don't charge some ridiculous price like other remote solutions for Mac, if its not free already.

I am assuming that the tool mentioned in this article allows you to remote from an Apple product to a Microsoft product. Remoting from Apple to Apple is not something I expect this tool to provide. You may want to look at this more closely before buying.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
This is great news, if for no other reason than I can stop using the MochaSoft Remote Desktop app and start using Microsoft's version. (Same with my iPad-using clients.)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Jump Desktop is Excellent

I like Jump Desktop for the Mac. They have a version for the iPad but I do not use it much since I feel you really need a mouse. I am using the 4.0 Beta now because it syncs with DropBox my Computer Connection Settings. They support RDP and VNC Connections.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Macs, maybe. But I imagine there are a lot of people who would be interested in having remote access to their Windows desktop on an iPad.

I've never had any problem with RDC. In fact, I have always found it to be faster and more responsive than similar solutions, including OS X's own screen sharing feature.

----------

RDC has historically been free. And it actually works well.

Your point about remoting from an iPad is well taken. And yes, when I have used it, it was free.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Maybe this will give CoRD a run for its money.

Doubt it though...

Unless CoRD has been updated to support NLA, it is useless in the enterprise. Last time I tried it, it did not so I bought Jump Desktop as the current Microsoft offering included in Office 2011 always crashed on me.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It's about time. Microsoft's client doesn't currently even work with some virtualized implementations of Server 2012. I've resorted to using CoRD, but that has its own issues.

Having RemoteApp support will be very useful for our (university) students.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I run my Mac Mini as a headless home media server and have been using VNC to remote into it from iPad, which 9 times out of 10 won't connect properly for one reason or another. I can't believe how poorly remote access has been implemented by OS X.

The stock VNC protocol is a sucky piece of insecure garbage - eight character max password, weak encryption... RDP works much better (I wish it was incorporated into OS X).

The OS X extensions to VNC improve things dramatically, but that doesn't play well with stock VNC clients.

Hopefully you're tunneling over ssh.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR

As someone else who does the same thing, I'm not sure why you've been having problems. I've used RD solutions for the Mac not only for connecting to my HMPC, but also for providing tech support to clients in other locations (all the way from a couple blocks away to a thousand miles away), and I have had no more or less problems with connecting than I've seen with MS RD.

For me, for my HMPC, if I'm porting in from my iPad, I use MochaVNC, and have never had problems with it. Occasionally, the connection fails and I need to try again. From my MBP, I love the native screen sharing function that's built into Mac OS X. It's absolutely bulletproof, in my experience.

Now, of course, both of our tales are anecdotal, and give no real indication of where things are at overall. But the fact that I can have such a good experience, while you're having such a bad one, seems to indicate to me that I'm extraordinarily lucky, you're extraordinarily unlucky, or something's not setup correctly on your machines.

wilhelmer

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
The screenshot is a bit misleading. Shouldn't it show the OSX app connecting to a remote Windows machine?

cotten

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
RoyalTSX

After struggling with CoRD and the Microsoft RDP app for years I stumbled upon RoyalTSX. I can't sing this app's praises enough. It's saved collections, settings, and FreeRDP implementation work really well. It also doesn't crash all the time like CoRd did.

I'm honestly surprised more people don't know about it.

http://www.royaltsx.com/main/home/osx.aspx

That kind of sounds like a shill, but it is really great.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Lync over RDP seems like a bad idea. I haven't used the Mac client, but it exists. What's wrong with it?

B

I was more looking into the iOS part of the news ... would be great to have remote desktop capability on iPad with full audio support. We have Lync 2013 native on iOS device which works quite ok. But its limited use with the single-active-app concept of iOS; you can't really do screen sharing as required for presentations etc. Mac client I didn't tried as Mac's are very limited in our company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.