Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typeface

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
So how does a server "push" messages to the phone? The phone has to be listening all the time for messages, right?

Apple send a "ping" (that's what I would call it) from a push notification server - the device is waiting to be told, not asking.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Push opens a dormant connection to the apple servers and heartbeats ever x seconds. Can't remember the number.

I just can't accept the delay in the gmail app. Getting a notification, swiping to open then seeing that silly multicoloured circle flip over several times as it refresfes unheasecarily and loads the actual message really sucks when you get quite a few emails per day.

Google need to rework it so notifications somehow store the message locally. Push is an advancement in email now we are going backwards.

Their web wrapper app is lazy.

It can't even sync and count correctly.

typeface

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
Push opens a dormant connection to the apple servers and heartbeats ever x seconds. Can't remember the number.

I just can't accept the delay in the gmail app. Getting a notification, swiping to open then seeing that silly multicoloured circle flip over several times as it refresfes unheasecarily and loads the actual message really sucks when you get quite a few emails per day.

Google need to rework it so notifications somehow store the message locally. Push is an advancement in email now we are going backwards.

Yes, I whole-heartedly agree with you. Google need to stop making silly "Look! We included the Google Colours EVERYWHERE!!" icons, and move their crappy UI out of my face, so I can see my content, and quick about it!

While I'm on a mini-rant about Google and their ever so stupid UI choices...

"Oooh! A bell - can I press it? What's it for? Does it change my ringtone? Wait - this is a PC..."

Google are still in the design pre-school - what utter, pointless clunk.

Attachments

• ashjkda87.PNG
    ashjkda87.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 132

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I don't really use Gmail anymore. iCloud and even AOL are better (as long as you're using AOL mail with Apple Mail, not going to their site). You get multiple addresses with both of those, and they don't have the weird authentication issues like Gmail has with some accounts. However, AOL doesn't have push.

And they don't have anything to do with Google+. Yay!

----------

Apple send a "ping" (that's what I would call it) from a push notification server - the device is waiting to be told, not asking.

Ah, so a wake-on-LAN sort of thing? I'm surprised this is so new.

typeface

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
I don't really use Gmail anymore. iCloud and even AOL are better (as long as you're using AOL mail with Apple Mail, not going to their site). You get multiple addresses with both of those, and they don't have the weird authentication issues like Gmail has with some accounts. However, AOL doesn't have push.

And they don't have anything to do with Google+. Yay!

----------

Ah, so a wake-on-LAN sort of thing? I'm surprised this is so new.

I suppose it could be seen that way, yeah.

Push notification is not new - it's been around for yonks :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

This is what Apple introduced in iOS7 keynote as 'Push Triggers'.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm happy to see l'm not the only one who dislikes the Gmail app's delay in loading the inbox. I'm considering switching to the built-in Mail app. There's one big BUT though - is it possible to have links tapped in the Mail app open in Chrome?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm happy to see l'm not the only one who dislikes the Gmail app's delay in loading the inbox. I'm considering switching to the built-in Mail app. There's one big BUT though - is it possible to have links tapped in the Mail app open in Chrome?
Not possible in iOS 7.

celly

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Calgary
I use the "Mailbox" app for my Gmail push. It's a great tool to manage Gmail as it is. I tend to just use the native app for sending Gmail and managing a few non-Gmail accounts.

Can't beat the price (free), no ads, and get bonus space with Dropbox if you connect it (since Dropbox owns Mailbox).

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
I use the "Mailbox" app for my Gmail push. It's a great tool to manage Gmail as it is. I tend to just use the native app for sending Gmail and managing a few non-Gmail accounts.

Can't beat the price (free), no ads, and get bonus space with Dropbox if you connect it (since Dropbox owns Mailbox).

Sadly you have to upgrade to iOS 7 to install Mailbox. I'm on the iPhone 4 and my phone cant handle iOS 7.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I ended up just forwarding all my gmail to icloud. Done deal.

It's not ideal as your email shows as coming from icloud, but I don't particularly care.

otomo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013

It's not ideal as your email shows as coming from icloud, but I don't particularly care.

Okay, but changes made in the Mail app from a forwarded icould account won't reflect back at gmail.com (such as archiving, marking a message as read, etc.) will they?

Just trying to wrap my head around this.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Okay, but changes made in the Mail app from a forwarded icould account won't reflect back at gmail.com (such as archiving, marking a message as read, etc.) will they?

Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Correct. For all intents and purposes, you are changing e-mail accounts to iCloud, but on the "down low". I still hand out my gmail address to everybody, and if they send me something, they get a response from my iCloud account. If I want to look up that response, I have to go into my iCloud's sent items, not gmail.

The only reason I don't discontinue the gmail account and start switching everything over to iCloud (online vendors, etc.) is because a) it's a pain, and b) the icloud.com account locks your e-mail into Apple's ecosystem. If I ever get an Android tablet or phone, I'm kind of stuck.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The only reason I don't discontinue the gmail account and start switching everything over to iCloud (online vendors, etc.) is because a) it's a pain, and b) the icloud.com account locks your e-mail into Apple's ecosystem. If I ever get an Android tablet or phone, I'm kind of stuck.

Any reason for your icloud affinity vs. Outlook.com? No worries about activesync licenses. ;)

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Any reason for your icloud affinity vs. Outlook.com? No worries about activesync licenses. ;)

I had horrendous issues with Outlook.com. I tried them for 3 months, and it was a mess. Lost emails, delayed emails not being sent for 3+ hours! garbled messages.... It was bad.

For the first couple weeks, it was all good. So I converted EVERYTHING, including family and friends, over to my outlook address.

So last week, hat in hand, I had everybody change back to gmail. I didn't tell anyone about the iCloud account, because I don't want to make that mistake again in case Apple screws me or I leave the ecosystem.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I had horrendous issues with Outlook.com. I tried them for 3 months, and it was a mess. Lost emails, delayed emails not being sent for 3+ hours! garbled messages.... It was bad.

Wow, what a horrid experience. I'd been toying with the idea of converting over to outlook.com but clearly I need to tread very carefully...

Thanks for posting.[/QUOTE]

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England

Correct. For all intents and purposes, you are changing e-mail accounts to iCloud, but on the "down low". I still hand out my gmail address to everybody, and if they send me something, they get a response from my iCloud account. If I want to look up that response, I have to go into my iCloud's sent items, not gmail.

If you want your responses to come from your Gmail address, create a new email account in Settings and choose "other" for the account type. Put in your correct outgoing Gmail server info, but bogus incoming server info. Mail will say it couldn't verify your account and ask if you want to use it anyway (say yes). Doing it this way will allow you to send mail from your Gmail address without getting incoming mail (which you already get from iCloud). Now when you send an email, click on the "From:" field and you can pick which address to send from.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
If you want your responses to come from your Gmail address, create a new email account in Settings and choose "other" for the account type. Put in your correct outgoing Gmail server info, but bogus incoming server info. Mail will say it couldn't verify your account and ask if you want to use it anyway (say yes). Doing it this way will allow you to send mail from your Gmail address without getting incoming mail (which you already get from iCloud). Now when you send an email, click on the "From:" field and you can pick which address to send from.

Yeah, I did figure that part out, but I don't want to have to remember to click "From" and change my address every time I send e-mail. For me that could be 150+ times a day.

Wow, what a horrid experience. I'd been toying with the idea of converting over to outlook.com but clearly I need to tread very carefully...

Thanks for posting.

You're welcome! The disappointing thing is that out of all the major free e-mail services, Outlook.com's interface was *by far* the best. iCloud's works, but is definitely a step back from Outlook or Gmail's.

Hopefully it will mature over the next year or so, and become a viable service for me again. But right now, it's just a total mess.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
iCloud's works, but is definitely a step back from Outlook or Gmail's.

Yes, I noticed that. I'm fine using iCloud for contacts and calendar since I rarely to use the web interface, but the iCloud email interface is a bit too sparse. I don't so much mind the controls/layout but the waste of screen realestate chafes. Not like I'd be using it on a 1280x800 13.3" display... *cough* *cough*

Plus it's platform dependent which is not good for a long-term solution (not that I'm itching to leave the Apple ecosystem, but still).

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Plus it's platform dependent which is not good for a long-term solution (not that I'm itching to leave the Apple ecosystem, but still).

Yeah, this is why I still only hand out my gmail account again, after my abortive attempt at switching to Outlook. I've had it the longest, and if I ever want to leave Apple, I'm not married to iCloud, even though it works great for me while I am in the ecosystem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.