Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Hello,

My son has an iPod Touch that he has absolutely destroyed. The screen is cracked and unresponsive. The iPod still turns on, so I figured i would restore and just use it for iTunes in my car. However, he has a passcode on it. The screen does not register taps, so I cannot enter the password.

He never synced it with our current iMac, so I cannot restore from his profile either.

Any suggestions before I just chunk it? Mangled iPod below before the, "Sounds like you stole an iPod shows up" :D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 3,822

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Hello,

My son has an iPod Touch that he has absolutely destroyed. The screen is cracked and unresponsive. The iPod still turns on, so I figured i would restore and just use it for iTunes in my car. However, he has a passcode on it. The screen does not register taps, so I cannot enter the password.

He never synced it with our current iMac, so I cannot restore from his profile either.

Any suggestions before I just chunk it? Mangled iPod below before the, "Sounds like you stole an iPod shows up" :D

Hey,

What happened? Just curious is all. Seems to me like the screen is beyond hope and is not responding to input via touching (lol), you should get it replaced or fix before you could use it again, I could be wrong and hopefully someone else could give you a better suggestion. And yes, I will ask again, what happened? :O

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Lol. Knew this was coming.

He had it in a survivor case, and all was well. Then the case started to tear, so he decided to use it without the case and dropped it. The screen cracked.

Mom tried to help and when she grabbed it, she dropped it. Then, she thought it would be a good idea to put clear packing tape over the screen so he could use it and not cut himself. (At this point the screen worked)

Dad (me) got home and freaked out that my family, some of which match genetically (son), could do this. I decide to pull off the tape so I could take to a repair shop. That's when the glass came off in pieces and the screen stopped responding to touch.

I then tapped out on the whole thing and my 9 year old is still doing chores to earn money for a replacement.

In summary, the average IQ in my house is hovering around 70 or so...

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Need to restore iPod Touch, screen is broken and has passcode, need help...

Lol. Knew this was coming.

He had it in a survivor case, and all was well. Then the case started to tear, so he decided to use it without the case and dropped it. The screen cracked.

Mom tried to help and when she grabbed it, she dropped it. Then, she thought it would be a good idea to put clear packing tape over the screen so he could use it and not cut himself. (At this point the screen worked)

Dad (me) got home and freaked out that my family, some of which match genetically (son), could do this. I decide to pull off the tape so I could take to a repair shop. That's when the glass came off in pieces and the screen stopped responding to touch.

I then tapped out on the whole thing and my 9 year old is still doing chores to earn money for a replacement.

In summary, the average IQ in my house is hovering around 70 or so...

Wow! Sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing, this makes me wanna go get a cover for my 5th Gen iPod as I have been using it without a case for 4 months since purchased, and it has dropped a total of 3 times, 2 of which were impactful drops and the third was when my iPod dropped screen first, wow, I never thought it would be possible for my heart to break 3 times! But thanks goodness the screen didn't crack but the iPod suffered a chip off the edges and some tiny dents, heart wrenching though since I did forked out a couple of hundreds for this device.

Anyway, sorry, was ranting there! Hope you get it fix! ;)

EDIT: Wait, have you tried restoring it or DFU Mode or whatever they call it?

EDIT 2: Never mind, even if you did managed to disable the passcode via restore or etc, the iPod is not responsive to touch, still need to get that iPod, then.

Last edited:

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I tried restoring, but iTunes wants me to enter the password. I can't put in dfu mode either cause I can't use the slide to power off because the screen doesn't work. Lol

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I tried restoring, but iTunes wants me to enter the password. I can't put in dfu mode either cause I can't use the slide to power off because the screen doesn't work. Lol

I'd make an appointment at the nearest genius bar. There are three possible outcomes:

1. The Genius fixes the problem.
2. The Genius admits that he isn't a genius :D
3. The Genius refuses to admit that he isn't a genius, but his only way out is to fix the hardware :D

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I'd make an appointment at the nearest genius bar. There are three possible outcomes:

3. The Genius refuses to admit that he isn't a genius, but his only way out is to pretend that he gives excellent customer service and gives you a refurbished iPod :D

Haha. That's actually worth a shot!

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

These steps should work:

Connect your device to your computer.
Make sure iTunes is running and all necessary drivers are installed. During the following process ignore any messages from iTunes. There is no need to click on any messages that might appear.
Do a reset by pressing and holding both home and power buttons for several seconds.
As soon as it resets (screen goes black), immediately release both buttons.
Immediately press and hold the power button again.
Wait until you see the Apple logo plus one second longer.
Now press additionally the home button (still don't let go of the power button).
Wait until the screen disappears (gets black) plus one second longer.
Now release the power button, but keep pressing the home button.
Wait until you hear a "connected" sound from iTunes.
You should now be in DFU mode and your screen should be black. If you see the USB logo instead, try again.

http://www.jbfaq.com/article.asp?id=60

Though the phone won't do much after the restore without a working touch screen.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

3. The Genius refuses to admit that he isn't a genius, but his only way out is to fix the hardware :D
The only fix is out of warranty replacement for $$$ if they don't deem it too mangled for that.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Thanks everyone. I ended up paying the genius 99 for a replacement. Not too bad!

exp

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2016
IMG_20160121_002714_1CS.jpg IMG_20160121_002701_7CS.jpg
Hello,

[doublepost=1453332645][/doublepost]you will not believe the things ipod's still can after you cracked your screen,
i used a URBAN head gear set and then the play button { on the cord of the headset }
and lucky as iam , i always set my playlist via i-tunes as play all / shuffel all / repeat all /
i turned on the ipod touch and listend while i took off the cracked touch screen / front cam / and the darnest thing still works bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMG_20160121_002701_7CS.jpg
IMG_20160121_002701_7CS.jpg
IMG_20160121_002714_1CS.jpg

[doublepost=1453332857][/doublepost]:cool::cool::cool:
[doublepost=1453334241][/doublepost]:mad: and without the touch handle the only thing i can change with the hardware button is volume,
i was wondering would there be a hack to get all my files from the ipod on my computer/
it gives error bla bla when i connect to itunes OK i can tell that without u.s.b still it gives a reason more then just connection...it says because of password security it cant sync my ipod,
good luck with that hope i am any help...cheers
o_O

Last edited:

The GGH

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2016
Hello,

Honestly, I have no idea. I mean yeah I know this is probably an old post, but I just looked up how to fix mine. I don't even need it anymore, but I'd like to have it for my friend. I can't get in though. I thought maybe there would be some trick but I can't find anything

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
Honestly, I have no idea.

You surely don't. If you had read more than just the first post you would have read that he had his broken iPod replaced about three years ago. Not only do you not answer his question, you do so nearly three years too late. Good going, keep up the good work etcetera.

Reactions: Daria

visegripmikey

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2016
Hello,

How do you know that the iPod turns on - does the backlight still work? If it doesn't the screen looks dark, but if you shine a flashlight on it, enough light will pass through the LCD and reflect back to see the UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.