Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

activate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Hi,

About to order an iMac for the purpose of learning and using it for video editing and photography work. Is there a preferred keyboard setup for current users of this ?

The lighter wired keyboard and mouse or the wireless keyboard and magicmouse/trackpad.

Thanks.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Hi,

About to order an iMac for the purpose of learning and using it for video editing and photography work. Is there a preferred keyboard setup for current users of this ?

The lighter wired keyboard and mouse or the wireless keyboard and magicmouse/trackpad.

Thanks.

Wired numeric keyboard.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I would get the trackpad over a mouse, and I would highly recommend a graphics tablet for photoshop work.

activate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I would get the trackpad over a mouse, and I would highly recommend a graphics tablet for photoshop work.

Ok hadn't ventured to that yet. Whats one that has good compatibility with a mac. I am guessing waycom would be a recommended one.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Wacom for sure. Just get a basic one. Pen and touch I think it's called. I have one. It was £60 or something. You really need one with photoshop to be honest. You can spend much more money, and I got this model to see if it was really worth it. Thinking I would upgrade. It is really worth it! I don't need to even upgrade. For my usage it's awesome.

activate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Wacom for sure. Just get a basic one. Pen and touch I think it's called. I have one. It was £60 or something. You really need one with photoshop to be honest. You can spend much more money, and I got this model to see if it was really worth it. Thinking I would upgrade. It is really worth it! I don't need to even upgrade. For my usage it's awesome.
Thanks for the tip. What do you think of this one http://buywacom.com.au/products/pen-tablets/intuos-tablets-new.html
Also, do you think a trackpad is still necessary if I get the tablet. I am assuming that it can be used for gestures as well ?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi,

Thanks.
Wired keyboard. and magicmouse or trackpad. You may decide to get a third party mouse anyway so it might be best to get the trackpad.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for the tip. What do you think of this one http://buywacom.com.au/products/pen-tablets/intuos-tablets-new.html
Also, do you think a trackpad is still necessary if I get the tablet. I am assuming that it can be used for gestures as well ?

Never used those, but I imagine they would be fine! Mine is the very bottom of the range I think, and it's great, so you can't go wrong. With Wacom anyway.

One thing though. The touch part of the tablet really is next to useless compared to a Macbook trackpad. I would go with an Apple track pad for sure. I haven't ever used a large stand alone one.. but it's going to be comparable or better with the one on my Macbook pro.

And you can use the two in conjunction very easily as well, it's difficult to describe what I mean, but the pen in one hand and the other using the keyboard and clicking/two finger scrolling/various gestures on the trackpad. I think, for me at least, a mouse is obsolete. With these two items.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
another vote for

wired keyboard with numeric keys
Intuos or similar tablet pad

my personal preference for a cursor device - Kensington Trackball (full pool ball sized ball)

It is all a matter of personal tastes and ergonomics. Strangely, the Intuos is easier for me to use than the Cintiq under certain instances.

activate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks guys. Wired keyboard it is. I haven't ordered the intuous touch waycom yet but it looks like that'll be it. I just need to understand a little more about the differences in the 3 models they offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.