Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
Thanks. I am using Time Capsule as my router BUT with the addition of a second iMac this week, the existing 1TB Time Capsule will probably not have enough capacity to back up both iMacs.

Can a Time Capsule be configured to even backup 2 different iMacs??

Also, with CC Cloner, you're connecting to your Mac via USB?
DOes CC Cloner make a bootable backup of your iMac and then incremental backups after that?

Sorry for the basic questions.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks. I am using Time Capsule as my router BUT with the addition of a second iMac this week, the existing 1TB Time Capsule will probably not have enough capacity to back up both iMacs.

DOes CC Cloner make a bootable backup of your iMac and then incremental backups after that?

Time Capsules do not perform the backup... Time Machine does. Yes, two different computers can back up to the same Time Capsule.

/Jim

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place

A time capsule can handle multiple mac backups. Its what it was intended for. Also with any external drive set up for time machine can be used to back up multiple macs.

CarbonCopyConer makes bootable backups but not hourly backups in the regard time machine does, id perform a bootable backup and let timemachine handle the backups.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California

CCC is software, and can use any drive, external/internal, in whatever fashion it is connected to your Mac. Obviously, the faster connection the better - USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt will fly.

It first makes a full backup, then each succeeding backup is incremental. You can set the schedule when you want this to happen. The "cloned" backup will look identical to the drive you are cloning.

It's advisable to partition that backup drive and use one partition for the cloned backup. I use a 3tb Lacie Thunderbolt, partitioned in half. One half is for the clone, the other half holds my iTunes and movie folders, along with other data.

Once finished, if you reboot the Mac by holding the option key, you will see the cloned backup as a bootable drive. Very slick.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
CarbonCopyConer makes bootable backups but not hourly backups in the regard time machine does, id perform a bootable backup and let timemachine handle the backups.

The nice thing about a clone... is that you can continue right where you left off. It is very handy if you have a HDD crash.

I do not consider a clone to be a "true backup"... because it does not have "usable history". So while it protects you wonderfully if you your HDD crashes... it is not too useful if you have a library database corruption... since you cannot "turn back the clock". That is where Time Machine comes into play.

I use a combination of both. I use Time Machine for "real backup"... with versioning. I use CCC to make a clone. Since I have multiple computers, I do not need a clone of my entire computer. Instead, I make clones of my databases (Aperture, iTunes, iPhoto, Final Cut Pro X, iMovie, Devonthink)... so that if my primary computer crashes... I just move the databases to a new computer and continue where I left off. If you have a single computer, a clone of the entire machine is more useful than a clone of just the databases.

Finally, do not overlook automated off-site backup. In most ways... it is the most important... because it can do everything other backups can do (although more slowly)... but additionally it protects you against natural disaster or theft.

/Jim

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL

Time Machine can be configured on two Macs to backup to the same Time Capsule. However, at least in my experience, this doesn't work properly so I don't do it. Eventually my TC HDD gets full (which is expected) but the problem is that TM will complain that there isn't enough room to backup, not just merely delete the oldest backup and continue. I don't know why this is exactly. I am guessing the TM knows the size of the TC drive and doesn't understand why the available space is smaller than it expects and then just throws up it's hands.

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
Thanks for the great responses. A lot to think about. It looks like I'll need to get a larger capacity Time Capsule then as well as Carbon Copy Cloner. I have the Lacie 3TB USB3/Thunderbolt drive already so I'm good there.

Can I have two wireless networks running at the same time in the house, one from each Time Capsule and leave the faster new iMac on the new faster Time Capsule? Does that strategy make sense?

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
you should not have any problems backing up more than 1 mac to a time capsule. ive been doing it for a few years now and no problems.. have enough back-ups so you have your resources should something happen.

I'm highly considering the 768GB SSD option now, low amount of mechanical parts and some really cool thunderbolt options out there.

enjoy yours

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Just get a normal version and have someone at a place that is alowed to open your iMac without voiding your warrenty build in a normal SSD... 250-500gb are already selling quiet cheap these days and you can just use your old 1TB data in an external harddrive for the data you don´t need to be able to access in a second 24/7.

I mean, if i was realy realy rich and money dident matter. Sure i would take it. But for a normal earning family man, no way.

Is this definitely an option? I never considered the idea of places being able to do this while still keeping your warranty.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Is this definitely an option? I never considered the idea of places being able to do this while still keeping your warranty.

generally Apple Authorized Service Providers can provide this out of the box option. YOu may have to go back to them for any future warranty work as an Apple Store may not allow it.

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
I want to thank everyone who helped explain the various backup plans with 2 computers using one Time Capsule and the use of CCC.

Today I installed the new Time Capsule and opened up and started personalizing the iMac 768 SSD. Wow, does this thing fly!

Now I need to decide if I should use the older 1 TB time Capsule to set up an extended wireless network at home or bring it to work and use it as an access point for WiFi for my MacBooks, etc.

I'm concerned that if I set up an extended wireless network at home with two time capsules it will slow network transmission down.

Anyway, I may have additional questions regarding external drives and CCC use.

Thanks.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
just ensure on the 1TB Time Capsule that its extending the network from the new Time Capsule.

You can send the lower frequencies to that time capsule through AirPort Utility, to create a solid network connection to AppleTVs, other systems and devices like iPhones and iPads. It will be one network but it will work on a lower band to not take away from other higher band wifi devices.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
generally Apple Authorized Service Providers can provide this out of the box option. YOu may have to go back to them for any future warranty work as an Apple Store may not allow it.

Would they still honour the AppleCare that I bought? I'm not desperate to upgrade the 1TB drive as I use less than 128GB so everything is currently in flash. I'd just like the option one day to replace that 1TB with something like a 512GB 840 Pro but seeing as I paid for AppleCare I don't want to throw it in the bin by ripping the iMac open.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Would they still honour the AppleCare that I bought? I'm not desperate to upgrade the 1TB drive as I use less than 128GB so everything is currently in flash. I'd just like the option one day to replace that 1TB with something like a 512GB 840 Pro but seeing as I paid for AppleCare I don't want to throw it in the bin by ripping the iMac open.

If you have an Apple Authorized service provider do it for you then they should be able to honor that warranty you purchased on the machine.
When I was managing service at one we would honor that if we did the service, it was a more personable experience then an Apple store.
Consult with them first but I dont see why they wouldnt want to keep a customer and provide service.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
If you have an Apple Authorized service provider do it for you then they should be able to honor that warranty you purchased on the machine.
When I was managing service at one we would honor that if we did the service, it was a more personable experience then an Apple store.
Consult with them first but I dont see why they wouldnt want to keep a customer and provide service.

Great, thank you for your advice. I'll give a local authorised place a call when I decide I want the upgrade. I'd be quite happy with doing it myself but after having something go wrong with an Apple product just after 12 months once I decided to always get AppleCare.

obdave

macrumors member
May 25, 2008
very happy

So I joined the $1300 club during the time it became the $900 club while the machine was still awaiting delivery. I called Apple and had the price changed.

Now having lived with the machine for a couple months I can honestly say I don't regret the decision. The machine boots to a completely built desktop in ten seconds or less, the first time you run dashboard all the widgets come right up, there's just a zillion areas where the speed improvement is noticeable. Windows 7 under VMWare is very snappy. Yes, it was a lot of money but the productivity gains and enjoyability factor were worth it, IMHO.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
So I joined the $1300 club during the time it became the $900 club while the machine was still awaiting delivery. I called Apple and had the price changed.

Now having lived with the machine for a couple months I can honestly say I don't regret the decision. The machine boots to a completely built desktop in ten seconds or less, the first time you run dashboard all the widgets come right up, there's just a zillion areas where the speed improvement is noticeable. Windows 7 under VMWare is very snappy. Yes, it was a lot of money but the productivity gains and enjoyability factor were worth it, IMHO.

Yes. I'm still enjoying it like in day one. More, I would say.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
The only people regretting the flash drive are those who decided not to spend their money on it.

Worth every penny as far as I am concerned.

Once you have a flash drive, you don't look back.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
The only people regretting the flash drive are those who decided not to spend their money on it.

Worth every penny as far as I am concerned.

Once you have a flash drive, you don't look back.

but you gotta admit they feel bad now the new iMacs offer the newer faster SSDs as options...i still haven't joined, will see what the Mac Pro and Mini will offer.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
but you gotta admit they feel bad now the new iMacs offer the newer faster SSDs as options...i still haven't joined, will see what the Mac Pro and Mini will offer.

Well, I don't think anyone feels bad. I certainly do not.

First, technology is always changing. Any computer you buy today is outdated 6 months later. That is to be expected.

But are the SSD's actually faster? How much faster could they be? My SSD is incredibly fast. There is no lag when launching a program. I have never sat and thought, "if only I could have a faster SSD drive...."

Instead, I always tell my friends, "once you go SSD you will never want a hard drive based computer again."

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Instead, I always tell my friends, "once you go SSD you will never want a hard drive based computer again."

Yup. As much as I'd like to try the Fusion Drive on the iMac I'll be ordering soon it's likely I won't. My early 2011 MacBook Pro with SSD has kind of spoiled me.

obdave

macrumors member
May 25, 2008
But are the SSD's actually faster?

The SSD is not faster, but access to it is much faster. Previously the SSD used a SATA interface. The SSDs were so fast that they'd saturate the SATA bus. Now the SSD sits on the PCIe backplane where there is no such bottleneck. This architecture was first introduced on the Haswell MBAs and has now made its way to the iMac.

I still don't regret getting my iMac last December. It's been a great machine.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I could only see doing the $1300 SSD if I was a photographer or audio engineer. Those tasks involve needing fast random access to huge files.

For anyone else, right now that deal is not cost-effective. I would note that the price of lesser SSDs is pretty good right now and I suspect the ideal setup for most users, especially now with Macs supporting USB3, is a 256 or 512 GB SSD for the only system drive, and a Thunderbolt or USB3 rotating drive for all your ripped DVDs and Blu-Rays.

I fully expect in five years none of us will be storing our media anymore unless we're creators of it.

I switched four years ago and cannot and will not go back.

There are those who are very sensitive to the noise of a HDD and want to have a clean desk. One can be penny wise and pound foolish - price of hardware is a faction of what it was back in '84 when I started: at the time you could buy a new small car for the price of the IBM 286 PC.

My programs and business data are worth far more than the hardware. On top of this what price do you put on your photographs?

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
price of hardware is a faction of what it was back in '84 when I started: at the time you could buy a new small car for the price of the IBM 286 PC.

An IBM 286 was creme de la creme top end in 84, when you consider that we had not long moved off 6502's and Z80's and the IBM PC with its 8088 was still considered a great machine (really???) having been released around 1982. 8086's were still top end in 1984, let alone 80286's.

So in practice an IBM 80286 back in 1984 was like a top end Mac Pro in 2013. So on that basis your "you could buy a car for that" analogy is more or less still true today!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.