Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnte42

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I dunno, I get that all the time and a lot of my units aare bigger than .6'ers. I do seem to get streaks of them somethimes.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
We're gaing on Team MacNN! Only 290.1 points in it. Well be back in position 40 soon enough.

Keep crunching.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by pc_convert?
We're gaing on Team MacNN! Only 290.1 points in it. Well be back in position 40 soon enough.
EUGLUG isn't far behind either. The Univ of Alabama will pass soon, so two steps forward then 1 step back. :)

Our output has been very steady lately.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Thanks mc68k for the tip on the signature!

Madamimadam, you are very close to me! Less than one point between us!

To those who thought they could take over my position... watch out, I have reoptimised to take advantage of the CPU cycles I have been wasting and I am out to reclaim my place.
:)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by madamimadam

To those who thought they could take over my position... watch out, I have reoptimised to take advantage of the CPU cycles I have been wasting and I am out to reclaim my place.

Kewl...challenges. Of course, I'm only at # 20 right now. Maybe a few more weeks... :D

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you

what position? 45? :eek:

hehehe.....ah, nobody has noticed how I've been swiftly moving up the ranks in the last 2 1/2 weeks since I started....you're lucky that the script to use both processors makes my machine act a little strange after a while....cause I only have one active processor because of that.

I've been moving up pretty fast...Goin for the top 20 in another 3 weeks or so....we'll see....if they stop giving me little units I'll get up there quickly...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Your new machine is serving you well, tea'. Glad to see some good numbers coming out of that "ultimate" configuration. :D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
We should overcome team euglug in a few hours. :)

Then our ascension will turn into decension, since a teams a few places back have higher output. But we should be in the top 40 for a while.

So goes the distributed computing experience. :)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by teabgs

what position? 45? :eek:

hehehe.....ah, nobody has noticed how I've been swiftly moving up the ranks in the last 2 1/2 weeks since I started....you're lucky that the script to use both processors makes my machine act a little strange after a while....cause I only have one active processor because of that.

I've been moving up pretty fast...Goin for the top 20 in another 3 weeks or so....we'll see....if they stop giving me little units I'll get up there quickly...

That's a bit harsh.... I am at 16... the one at 45 was a mistake I made when I typed in the wrong name and let it run for a while

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you

That's a bit harsh.... I am at 16... the one at 45 was a mistake I made when I typed in the wrong name and let it run for a while

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. Didnt mean too...only some friendly banter....my bad.

and uh....16, eh? um.....aiight....I think you win there then.... :(

Sorry for the confusion.....dont hate me :D

Anyway, we're all on the same side.....even the other teams that are gonna pass us.....

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Don't worry dude, I took it all fun.... I should have put a smilie or something in there.

I was going great for Top 15 but then I finished setting up my new website and I took F@H off the Oracle server and halved its capacity on the Web Server.

Originally posted by teabgs

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. Didnt mean too...only some friendly banter....my bad.

and uh....16, eh? um.....aiight....I think you win there then.... :(

Sorry for the confusion.....dont hate me :D

Anyway, we're all on the same side.....even the other teams that are gonna pass us.....

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Both my systems have been rather constipated these past few days -- they're slogging through the misnamed p145_1L2Yunf protein that should be given to only fast processors.

They must need the results for this thing bad that every available processor is set to the task.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Both my systems have been rather constipated these past few days -- they're slogging through the misnamed p145_1L2Yunf protein that should be given to only fast processors.

They must need the results for this thing bad that every available processor is set to the task.
I have had 2 of these in a row now. They take a long time to crunch even on my 1Ghz G4.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I just got another one of them. They take a while on my dual 1.25...probably about 17ish hours....depending....I usually run FAH when im not here so I dont know for sure, but I can imagine them taking several days on an older machine.....yuck!

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Just got back home... this morning, my 500Mhz g3 was 86% through it, and now it's at %98. Being online, running Yahoo Messenger and osX Mail will slow processing a bit.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Over Achiever

Jus imagine how long it takes on my 200 MHz :eek: :eek: Pentium MMX!!!;)

I can imagine. They take 110 hours on my G3/400 which isn't otherwise occupied and about 75 hours on each processor of my dual 800.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I am only estimating here, but, I think those proteins take about 30-40 hours on my Dual 1Ghz G4. However, as we know, folding only uses 1 processor per instance.

Tomasz

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
Berkeley, California
30-40 hours? Wow. I am running folding only on my PC (my macs... wouldn't be able to handle folding) and protein 146 takes approximately 16 hours.

I am shocked by the time it takes on the mac. Is folding optimized for PCs?

Tomasz

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Falleron:

Per instance of what? Certainly not one per machine.

Tomasz:

It's not that folding is so much optimised for PCs, but Motorola's processors are just pathetic and the compilers within GCC have been only acceptable. If they would re-compile with the v3.1 instead of 2.95, the executable code should realise about a 15 percent gain in speed, we are told.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Just saw that we reached 37 Place on Folding stats. However, the team page seems to be out of date (I read this on another page).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.