Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Would anyone like to take a guess as to when Apple will update the Airport Express to use 802.11ac?

I'd like to get an iPad5, but I don't want to have to pay an extra $100 for the Extreme just to get ac speeds. :eek:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
When did Apple release the current Express ? I would say one year from that date. Just a guess.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2007
I dunno, but I read somewhere else in this forum that it was 4 years between the previous and current models.

Of course, Apple wouldn't be so stupid as to release 802.11ac devices and wait 4 years to update the Express, but they might wait a few months, and if they do that, so will I.

Then again, there's no guarantee that the iPad 5 will have the AC spec, but that's why they call it MacRumors, right?;)

Last edited:

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
It's possible (perhaps even likely) that Apple will use 802.11ac to differentiate the Extreme from the Express, at least for the next couple of years.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Its their choice and they can opt to lose sales to other well designed and implemented products.

Perhaps.

Then again, the only reason I went with the Extreme is because the Express didn't have 802.11ac. They got the extra $100 out of me. I wonder how many more?

There's no way to prove this, but I imagine that Apple would net more profit keeping 802.11ac exclusive to the AirPort Extreme. Otherwise, the Express is more than enough for most people. Apple knows that. It's the same situation as with the Macs. Why do I have to order the high-end iMac to upgrade the GPU? Because Apple knows what most people would just order the cheaper model with improved GPU if they could.

It's not the most consumer-friendly policy, sure, but it definitely doesn't lose them money. Apple knows what it's doing. ;)

hologram

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2007
I imagine that Apple would net more profit keeping 802.11ac exclusive to the AirPort Extreme.

Sure, profit on the Extreme, maybe, but the price for that would be a whole bunch of pissed-off iPad purchasers and would-be purchasers. They're going to expect to reap the benefits of the ac spec now, without having to buy a lot more router than they need, or they (and me) will probably wait for the iPad 6.

Buy an iPad that's only going to connect at half-speed or less, or pay a $100 speed tax? Hmmmmm... hard choice! If I'm buying new, I won't be buying obsolete hardware that doesn't conform to the latest standards, and I won't be blackmailed into paying twice the price.

I don't need the 5, I want it, but I can wait. Just like a lot of other people.

Or maybe they'll announce the Express ac compliant on the 22nd.:D

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
NMF:

At this point there's not much below the US$150 mark with AC so it could actually gain them market share to have a very competitive device in the Airport Express.

Is it about profits or increasing share?

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Or maybe they'll announce the Express ac compliant on the 22nd.:D

Maybe!

Though, I think you're vastly overestimating the number of potential iPad customers who have even heard of 802.11ac. Or 802.11n for that matter. Or G.

NMF:

At this point there's not much below the US$150 mark with AC so it could actually gain them market share to have a very competitive device in the Airport Express.

Is it about profits or increasing share?

Uh, profit? This is Apple we're talking about here. :p

hologram

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Well, this is just MHO, of course, but I would think that building the ac spec into an iPad would instantly make it a mainstream consumer thing, something the average consumer would want to take advantage of without feeling they're being gouged.

It may have been somewhat exotic up until now, confined to a few devices, but build it into the iPad and now you've made it a standard. I don't think the public is ready to pay extra for something that should be standard. I also don't think the average public would know the difference between the specs, as NMF said, but it will surely be used as a sales tool (Wireless twice as fast as the "old" iPad"!!!)

But then, as (s)he also said, this is Apple.

Last edited:

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
It may have been somewhat exotic up until now, confined to a few devices, but build it into the iPad and now you've made it a standard. I don't think the public is ready to pay extra for something that should be standard. I also don't think the average public would know the difference between the specs, as NMF said, but it will surely be used as a sales tool (Wireless twice as fast as the "old" iPad"!!!)

Exactly. It'll be "Ultra-Fast Wireless" just like LTE on the iPhone 5. Nobody knows what that is, lol. Mainstream consumers will buy the iPad 5 and not even know that they're not getting 802.11ac speeds. These types of things only matter to nerds on the Internet. "Normal" people won't know or care. Ignorance is bliss!

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I may be missing something here, but what exactly do you plan on using your iPad for that would be enhanced by 802.11ac wireless? Unless you have gigabit FiOs internet, then 802.11n is plenty sufficient. AC wireless is good for doing network data transfers where people want gigabit ethernet-like speeds using WiFi. For surfing the web/streaming media/playing games...on the iPad won't make much of a difference. Sure, Apple could do it and advertise "twice as fast" on the new iPad but there would be little practical value IMO.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I doubt iPad (or iPhone for that matter) will see gigabit wireless speeds anytime soon. That would require at least 3x3:3 radio & antenna design, whereas current iOS devices sport 1x1:1

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I doubt we will see an 802.11ac in an express anytime soon. It's an entry level product. Apple want's to push everyone towards the extreme.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
they didn't even put Gigabit Ethernet on it, so not likely they'll put Gigabit Wifi on it either.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I doubt we will see an 802.11ac in an express anytime soon. It's an entry level product. Apple want's to push everyone towards the extreme.

...but what about an ac access point? This is why I want an Express ac to go with my ac Extreme.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
...but what about an ac access point? This is why I want an Express ac to go with my ac Extreme.

IMO, if you're looking to get an ac access point you'll have to get another extreme. Even if you had two ac to extend your network, the extended network would not be ac. I tried last year's model with the express and realize it extends the 2.4 Ghz and not the 5 Ghz.

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
The Extreme also has some complicated antenna arrangements that might not scale down into the Express. I would get the Extreme now if you want 802.11ac speeds because I strongly doubt that it is coming to the Express soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.