Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
It's possible the apps you are using aren't compatible with iOS 7.

Personally I see a springboard crash every few days, with random app crashes in between on my iPhone 5S. My iPad 2 doesn't have any springboard crashes, but most apps get killed because of low memory.

My guess is one of the iPhone only apps is triggering this. I'd bet on weather since it runs in the background periodically.

It could be Weather. I may try turning it off in background refresh. I know it's not necessarily 3rd party apps because I had to endure the 48 hour test of running the phone with strictly native software and apps only and it still happened. Buggiest phone I've ever had. This will teach me though. I long ago learned the lesson not to buy a new car the first year that model was out because all the bugs haven't been worked out. Guess the same thing applies to phones. This is my first iPhone that I've gotten right at release--my previous ones were all delayed (got the 3G when the 3GS came out and the 4S when the 5 came out) so all bugs were pretty much worked out. But I just find it weird that some people are having no problems or only occasional (and to me, having an occasional app crash that takes you back to the home screen is just a minor annoyance that can be dealt with) minor issues while I keep having major system crashes no matter if I'm running it clean or running it with apps. I'm really beginning to wonder if it's me.... :confused:

But my appointment is in a little over an hour. I'll get the new phone since that's what will please the 'geniuses' and I'll spend hours getting it set back up again (I'm going to have my 25 digit Wi-Fi passcode memorized at this point), and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all works as it should....but I won't hold my breath. ;)

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Well I blue screened this evening using Instagram which is supposed to be optimised for ios7

It didn't even save the image to the camera roll

:(

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I'm sure Apple are getting all of these crash reports and they will be fixed very soon. Make sure your phones are set to submit anonymous usage data to Apple so that they get as much information as possible about the bug/s that are causing this.

Low memory conditions may be frequent and are perfectly normal on iOS; they should never cause a crash. This is definitely a bug, and like other bugs will be fixed in due course. The priority will depend on how many people its affecting, so make sure your devices are sending in those reports!

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
I'm sure Apple are getting all of these crash reports and they will be fixed very soon. Make sure your phones are set to submit anonymous usage data to Apple so that they get as much information as possible about the bug/s that are causing this.

Low memory conditions may be frequent and are perfectly normal on iOS; they should never cause a crash. This is definitely a bug, and like other bugs will be fixed in due course. The priority will depend on how many people its affecting, so make sure your devices are sending in those reports!

Key word being "should" never cause a crash. Yet in my crash diagnostics, my BSOD (aka "panic") crashes are clearly low memory related.

As for your advice to automatically send usage data to Apple, I'll take that in the spirit intended, but seriously, do you think that Apple would have me in my 4th 5s if they weren't looking at my diagnostics? It's to the point where I'm getting phone calls from the engineers in CA almost every day asking questions about what I'm doing when x happens and what happens if I try to do y. So, yes, my usage data is sent to them automatically (I want this resolved as much as anybody--I'm tired of having to go to the Apple store, I'm tired of setting up phone after phone after phone, and I'm tired of explaining everything to each person I speak with at Apple in CA).

Sorry if I sound a little testy, but this whole situation has moved beyond the ridiculous. Perhaps diehard Apple fanatics are used to having craptastic phones on new releases, however when I spend $200 (plus my contract) on something, I expect it to work as advertised.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Key word being "should" never cause a crash. Yet in my crash diagnostics, my BSOD (aka "panic") crashes are clearly low memory related.

As for your advice to automatically send usage data to Apple, I'll take that in the spirit intended, but seriously, do you think that Apple would have me in my 4th 5s if they weren't looking at my diagnostics? It's to the point where I'm getting phone calls from the engineers in CA almost every day asking questions about what I'm doing when x happens and what happens if I try to do y. So, yes, my usage data is sent to them automatically (I want this resolved as much as anybody--I'm tired of having to go to the Apple store, I'm tired of setting up phone after phone after phone, and I'm tired of explaining everything to each person I speak with at Apple in CA).

Sorry if I sound a little testy, but this whole situation has moved beyond the ridiculous. Perhaps diehard Apple fanatics are used to having craptastic phones on new releases, however when I spend $200 (plus my contract) on something, I expect it to work as advertised.

Hey, I appreciate that you're really annoyed by the product being unstable. "Apple fanatics" definitely aren't used to that, and I completely understand your frustration.

Usage data is anonymous, so Apple doesn't know who those crash reports come from - only that a crash occurred in a specific place in their code. The more reports of crashes from that same bit of code, the higher priority it becomes to get it fixed. That's why my point was that everybody should be sending that data in.

From what you're saying, it sounds like Apple are already well aware of the problem and working hard on a fix. That's good news, and I hope they get it sorted quickly. They're all fully aware that their customers demand better.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
For what it's worth, I filed a bug with Apple regarding the Springboard crashes and it was closed as a duplicate, so Apple is aware of the problem.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Nah, I've had BSOD and respring a when using the native camera app,safari and mail which should be fully compatible with ios7. I've also had the same behavior with Instagram and Facebook which were both recently updated for ios7.

Imho it's deeply rooted in iOS as it doesn't matter which apps are in use and changing hardware doesn't cure it.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I have been shutting down some apps from the multi task menu and this seems to make the problem much better. Over 24 hrs without a crash... Usually I have tons of apps down there...

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I have been shutting down some apps from the multi task menu and this seems to make the problem much better. Over 24 hrs without a crash... Usually I have tons of apps down there...

I made it through almost 72 hrs without a reboot and then a couple of mins ago my phone rebooted as I was going to unlock the phone to respond to a text message. i'm surprised this issue is not more widespread than it seems to be... :confused:

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Not an iPhone 5S and not a crash, but I had my iPad 2 completely lock up for the first time. I needed to do a hard reset to recover.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

I went about a week with one, then 6 crashes yesterday, 4 resprings and two blue screens. Getting pretty frustrating.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I received my phone today (Wednesday) and my iPhone kept freezing up and required me to do a hard restart. I didn't use a restore. Fortunately I stopped having problems after the first few hours and it works like a charm now. Ironically my iPhone 5 had less kinks. This is obviously a 64 bit related problem.

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
4th time: so far, so good.

As many of you know if you've been following this thread, I've been directed by Apple to get my phone replaced multiple times. On the 13th, I picked up my 4th 5s. So far, so good. *Fingers crossed that I didn't just jinx myself* There have been a couple of app crashes (Facebook being the biggest culprit, even though the app is allegedly optimized for iOS 7) and apparently a slew of things going on 'behind the scenes' that I had no idea about which are being reported to the good people at Apple daily, but nothing that makes me want to scream and throw my phone at the wall, which is so much better than what I was dealing with before. :D

What's different, aside from the handset? I have all of the apps that use Background App Refresh set to 'off', including Apple's Weather app (the lone holdout that I had never previously turned off). If I continue to run BSOD-free, I'm going to incline my thinking that there's a problem with that app interfering in the background. Whatever, :cool: I'm not a tech wiz by any stretch of the imagination. But I am using The Weather Channel's app instead. Better safe than sorry, right? ;)

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
Still happening on 7.0.3

I'm used to having a multitude of apps running on the background and I'm not sure this is what is causing this, but even after updating to 7.0.3 I still had a reboot when switching between apps in the multitask menu... I'm not sure if I should call Apple about this. This by far has been my buggiest phone/iOS ever. :(

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I get about 1 springboard apple logo crash a week on my 5s. Today I was playing asphalt 8 and it happened. I am on 7.0.3. I think it has something to do with 64 bit and things are not quiet optimized yet in ios7. Obviously the blue screen crashing was resolved in 7.0.3 for the 5s. I'm hoping 7.1 it will be even more stable. The springboard should not crash with any programs.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
How do we know bluescreen is fixed in 7.03? Was there steps that you always did to trigger and now its ok? Thanks

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
iPhone 5s Crashing

How do we know bluescreen is fixed in 7.03? Was there steps that you always did to trigger and now its ok? Thanks

Apple claims they fixed an issue with iWorks that caused crashes. Then again they also claim they fixed the accelerometer calibration, but my 5S is still off. I haven't see a crash yet with 7.0.3, but it hasn't been that long.

Edit: right after I posted, my iPad 2 Springboard crashed when the App Store was updating a bunch of apps and I tried to exit with the home button.

Last edited:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
7.0.3 crashing like crazy!

I had 2 crashes over the first 4 weeks of having the 5s. Today, after installing 7.0.3 last night, I have had SEVEN crashes!

I read in some google searches that it may be due to the touch ID sensor (mine would crash each time a second or so after waking it up). I just disabled it and went back to the 4-digit code and will see if any improvement. VERY frustrating.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I was playing asphalt 8 today and got a springboard crash. I think its something with iOS related to the 5S. Maybe 64 bit. It could be a combination of things such as a previous app leaving something in memory. Its hard to replicate and depending on how you use your apps and what apps etc it may never happen to some and some users more then others.

If its happening multiple times a day I recommend restoring the phone and setting up as new and trying it that way for a day or so as their may be something in the backup thats the culprit. I have seen a few cases where people have swapped out the device and same issue.

Im pretty confident this will get fixed in future software updates. Also keep all your apps up to date too.

If iWork etc was causing crashes and Apple supposedly fixed it who's to say other apps are not triggering crashes too.

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
I get about 1 springboard apple logo crash a week on my 5s. Today I was playing asphalt 8 and it happened. I am on 7.0.3. I think it has something to do with 64 bit and things are not quiet optimized yet in ios7. Obviously the blue screen crashing was resolved in 7.0.3 for the 5s. I'm hoping 7.1 it will be even more stable. The springboard should not crash with any programs.

Apple claims they fixed an issue with iWorks that caused crashes. Then again they also claim they fixed the accelerometer calibration, but my 5S is still off. I haven't see a crash yet with 7.0.3, but it hasn't been that long.

Edit: right after I posted, my iPad 2 Springboard crashed when the App Store was updating a bunch of apps and I tried to exit with the home button.

Well, aside from one of my blue scree crashes happening on the first 5s I had due to iWorks, none of my other blue screen crashes were iWorks related, nor did I have crashes when using the multitask feature, like some people have reported. Perhaps that is what made my blue screen crashes different leading the Apple folk to believe they were indeed hardware-related. Maybe I was just *that* unlucky to get three gammy phones? Who knows?

I do know now that I've had what I call my 4th edition 5s longer than I had any of the previous ones and no blue screen crashes. I've actually only had a few app crashes, which is something totally different than the diagnostic logs longer than my arm on my previous editions. Refreshing, one might say. :) Last night, I did the massive Apple update- MBP to OS X Mavericks and 5s to 7.0.3 and aside from the MBP taking all night long to download, the process for both was smooth and painless. Still no problems from the 5s. I'm cautiously optimistic that my problems were indeed hardware-related and that they're all behind me now. All I have left to wonder about is where the heck is my free case that the Senior Advisor on my case was supposed to send me almost three weeks ago? ;)

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Having the same problem here, this phone is either a real piece of **** or I'm being used as a guinea pig to solve iOS 7 bugs. Tried to get some nice pictures at the bowling alley using the slo-mo cam and I literally had to hard reboot the phone it was so slow. Plus Safari is slow as cojones sometimes. Then my phone freezes up when trying to change songs on the lock screen. Music plays, I can fast forward by moving the line forward but I can't actually skip songs. So frustrated by this hunk of junk.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
There's no point swapping phones. It is software. Both my iPhone 4S and 5S both occasionally spring crash when switching apps.

It's my experience that Apple Geniuses are misnamed. Phone support isn't much better.

That's why I'm not exchanging my 5S since my phone spring crashes when switching apps (mainly FB) at least once a week. It's annoying, but it's not something that I'm going to go to Apple about and risk getting another 5S that has more problems than the one I already have.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
bought my 5s on launch day also, so far seen the blue screen once, n about 7-8 crashes. just updated to 7.0.3, hopefully it gets better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.