Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

uk_iphone_store_recycling.jpg
After officially launching the U.S. version of the program in late August, Apple has officially confirmed that it is launching its iPhone trade-in program today at its UK retail stores, reports Pocket-lint.
"iPhones hold great value. So, Apple Retail Stores in the UK are launching a new program to assist customers who wish to bring in their previous-generation iPhone for reuse or recycling," an Apple spokesperson has said. "In addition to helping support the environment, customers will be able to receive a credit for their returned phone that they can use toward the purchase of a new iPhone."
Under the program, users can receive a gift card in exchange for their older devices, although the gift card must immediately be used toward the purchase of a new iPhone.

Customers may also get quotes from Apple for a similar trade-in program online that launched nearly two years ago, with the option of shipping a device for recycling available as well. In the United States, the online and in-store programs are run by different third-party companies, and the same may be true in the UK, meaning that consumers may want to check both programs to determine any differences in trade-in value. Separate trade-in services may also offer greater value, although Apple's in-store program offers the convenience of an immediate no-hassle credit against the purchase of a new device.

Article Link: iPhone Trade-In Program Officially Launching Today at UK Retail Stores

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Up to £175, that's nothing if they expect iPhone 5's to be traded in too.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Why do I always get the feeling consumers are getting shafted by Apple? I used to feel a certain amount of pride using Apple products; they were a joy, especially off the back of coming from a Windows environment.

Maybe I've fallen out-of-love, maybe my eyes are finally opened, or maybe my empty bank balance is telling me something ... everything's just priced too damn high, often unreasonably so. They don't need to price everything at such a premium, and this trade-in shows just what their mentality is like. £175 for a 64GB iPhone 5? They have to be joking.

I can't see the value anymore, and as much as I hate to admit it, iOS 7 is sloppy. Really sloppy. Sloppy animations, sloppy performance, and Siri is far too unreliable (I can't take any requests at the moment) from a £600 product. I don't feel like I'm using a premium product, I feel like I'm using a self-indulgent GUI from Jony Ive's nutsack.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
That is just wrong, offering £175 even for an iPhone 4s is just ripping people off who don't know any better because that is what is going on here. Very poor.:(

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So I've got a 32gb iPhone 5 and after a year, it's not worth over £175 to Apple?

Then why do they expect us to pay so much in the first place?

EDIT:

I just went to official website and entered all the details, and was offered £230.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Offering people £175 for something they could get about £400 for on eBay.

Not even cash generator are THAT bad. :p

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Under the program, users can receive a gift card in exchange for their older devices, although the gift card must immediately be used toward the purchase of a new iPhone.

That's a discount, not a trade-in ;)

A gift card can be spent at your own leisure.

Either way, this is a crap deal. CEX still give you £200 for a 4S 16GB, and Apple are capping this at £175, presumably for a near mint, top of the range iPhone 5.

Edit: Ran the same specs through the Apple online page and it offers £150 if its unlocked and in mint condition with the packaging. In comparison the CEX one was locked, and B grade. Terrible deal from Apple here.

I also tried my rMBP, which is a year old and I paid £1500 for it. According to Apple it's worth £800, despite the fact they sell on ebay for £1300+ all the time.

dark knight

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
wellll, to get my iPhone 5 i sold my mint 4 for £100 to a friend.

If you can't be bothered with the online selling process and don't want it sitting in a drawer, surely its nice to at least have the option? If you can be bothered then going that route is wide open. People must have stacks of old iPods at home....

i like the return-it-to-store direction

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Insert "I can get more on eBay" comment here.

Of course you can, but you have to photograph it, list it, sell it, post it, pay your fees, withdraw your money and pray you don't get scammed.

Point is this is easier. Of course you'll get less, convenience is a commodity.

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany

Of course you can, but you have to photograph it, list it, sell it, post it, pay your fees, withdraw your money and pray you don't get scammed.

You can also get far more from almost every trade in service...usually it's 2x as much as Apple is offering.

----------

Why do I always get the feeling consumers are getting shafted by Apple? I used to feel a certain amount of pride using Apple products; they were a joy, especially off the back of coming from a Windows environment.

Maybe I've fallen out-of-love, maybe my eyes are finally opened, or maybe my empty bank balance is telling me something ... everything's just priced too damn high, often unreasonably so. They don't need to price everything at such a premium, and this trade-in shows just what their mentality is like. £175 for a 64GB iPhone 5? They have to be joking.

I can't see the value anymore, and as much as I hate to admit it, iOS 7 is sloppy. Really sloppy. Sloppy animations, sloppy performance, and Siri is far too unreliable (I can't take any requests at the moment) from a £600 product. I don't feel like I'm using a premium product, I feel like I'm using a self-indulgent GUI from Jony Ive's nutsack.
I agree with everything, except the UI of iOS 7 part.

Siri has definitely gotten worse in responsiveness, and Apple is charging extremely high prices for iPhones in the first place and now doesn't pay much when you sell back.

Most people will just use third party trade-in sites anyways.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
It's laughable!! I don't need a new iPhone, but I was going to get one for my mother. Her old iPhone 3G is, well, old..
So I filled in the details to see what it's worth as a trade in..

£3.75!! lol :rolleyes:
(Thats about $5 to you Merkins)

Ok, it's getting on a bit. But it works! £3.75?? Really?? I'd rather blend it for that money.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
So I've got a 32gb iPhone 5 and after a year, it's not worth over £175 to Apple?

Then why do they expect us to pay so much in the first place?

EDIT:

I just went to official website and entered all the details, and was offered £230.

If you did that on the "Reuse and Recycling" page, the it's not the same thing this article is talking about, it's a service they've been running for a while. I can't find this new service on the Apple website?

----------

I have to walk past CEX to get to the Apple store, so they are more convenient and still manage to give me a better deal.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Just used the Apple UK webstore, and an iPhone 4S 16GB in excellent condition with power cord is £150. iPhone 5S 16GB, same condition, is £220

Not great, but I've no idea where this £175 price point mentioned in the article has come from.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Just used the Apple UK webstore, and an iPhone 4S 16GB in excellent condition with power cord is £150. iPhone 5S 16GB, same condition, is £220

Not great, but I've no idea where this £175 price point mentioned in the article has come from.

LIke I mentioned above I think the "Reuse and Recycling" program is a different beast, to this "offer", it's been around for a while.

I think you have to take your phone into the store to get a valuation, though not sure of that. Where did MR get the image in the article?

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
LIke I mentioned above I think the "Reuse and Recycling" program is a different beast, to this "offer", it's been around for a while.

I think you have to take your phone into the store to get a valuation, though not sure of that. Where did MR get the image in the article?

I hadn't hit refresh, so missed your response.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

You can get more ANYWHERE not just eBay. Take it to your local CEX or Cash Converter - they're everywhere these days and will offer cash and the option of store credit. Not exactly any harder than going to an Apple shop, which are few and far between.

----------

It's laughable!! I don't need a new iPhone, but I was going to get one for my mother. Her old iPhone 3G is, well, old..

Ok, it's getting on a bit. But it works! £3.75?? Really?? I'd rather blend it for that money.

That's just insulting. I don't know how the hell they dare offer such a pitiful amount. It's worth at least £50, and that's if its battered beyond belief, and locked down.

kmpowell

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2003
To fund my 64GB 5S I put my old 32GB 4 on ebay for £185BIN. It sold in less than 3hrs!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111182289510

The equivalent offers from Apple/Mazuma/etc were between £65-£100. Sure Apple is hassle free, but money talks when you're laying out £709 for a 5S!

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

You think it is easier to get to a store than spend 5 minutes listing an auction? Even posting no longer requires people to go {shudder} outside. As for praying for not being scammed, you are protected on that front too.

Now, if you had said:

Of course you can, but if you are lazy, this is easier. Of course you'll get less, convenience is a commodity.

that would have been fair comment.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I also tried my rMBP, which is a year old and I paid £1500 for it. According to Apple it's worth £800, despite the fact they sell on ebay for £1300+ all the time.

Tsk. You know that Apple's markup is a minimum 30-40% on all products. Including trade-ins.

Apple will pay you £40 if you didn't upgrade to iOS4. ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Anybody ever part exchanged their old car? This is exactly the same. The garage offer you less than its worth because they will want to sell it for a profit. You trade in because it's less hassle than selling privately or even keeping 2 cars road legal for a few weeks (tax, insurance etc). You all know the garage never give you the best deal.
Apple are doing the same. You don't have to take the offer. It's their for people who don't want to (or can't be bothered) to use other means. Take it or leave it. I know what I'll be doing when the iPhone 6 comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.